It’s time... Fire Archie Miller

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Understood.  But, if IU does not make an offer to Stevens (more than one) when the Hoosier job opens, rest assured Duke or UNC will within the next 3-5 years.  Even if the odds are 99.9932599 against him accepting, the offer has to be made.  

Oh I'm sure the administration will offer.  I can hear the phone call from Dolson right now.  "Hi Brad our final offer is 5 years and $15M total. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to offer anything more."  Phone immediately hangs up and the administration can say they tried.  I wish that was sarcasm. 

• Replies 6.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not going with Oats based on 3/4 of a good year at Alabama.

That's fair. He had two good years at Buffalo also however. I think a lot of my faith in him comes based off the fact I've watched a lot of Alabama this year. They are the complete opposite of us. I believe that his system would be one that would be attractive to a lot of recruits and it's one that would win anywhere he goes. 

5 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

That's fair. He had two good years at Buffalo also however. I think a lot of my faith in him comes based off the fact I've watched a lot of Alabama this year. They are the complete opposite of us. I believe that his system would be one that would be attractive to a lot of recruits and it's one that would win anywhere he goes. 

I hate his offensive philosophy of only 3's or layups.  I don't like all the one on one and 5 out type of offense.  Also remember Bobby Hurley was the one that got Buffalo started and he has not gotten ASU better.

35 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Word is he was really interested in the Michgan job.

He was interested in the IU job when Archie was hired. My understanding is he made a push because he wasn't sure if the opportunity (for IU) would come around again.

16 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I need to say that Fife is one of my all time favorite Hoosiers. However, he's one quirky dude. I don't mean that as an insult - it's probably one of the main reasons we all love him. That said, I'd like to see how his personality translate into being a head coach at a mid-major before we go all in on him. 

He wasn't particularly impressive at IPFW. I would consider 6 years in the summit league enough time to differentiate yourself if you have aspirations of coaching at the top level.

Just now, IU Scott said:

I hate his offensive philosophy of only 3's or layups.  I don't like all the one on one and 5 out type of offense.  Also remember Bobby Hurley was the one that got Buffalo started and he has not gotten ASU better.

I think his offense is what kids want to play in though. It's what the NBA is now and ultimately that's where kids want end up. His last two years at Buffalo were his best years so I think Hurley's players were mostly gone by then. I think we all want to win a title one day and you need a top 20 efficient offense and defense to get there and that's something Alabama has this year. 

11 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

Oh I'm sure the administration will offer.  I can hear the phone call from Dolson right now.  "Hi Brad our final offer is 5 years and $15M total. Unfortunately I'm not allowed to offer anything more."  Phone immediately hangs up and the administration can say they tried.  I wish that was sarcasm. 

UCLA offered Cal a pay cut and went public with the offer. Never figured that one out

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I never liked the hire.  But i did always say to myself he needs 4 years.  Unfortunately after 3 i was done but waited for this year to turn out.  And even if we win out, it's not going to change my mind that he is going to take IU anywhere in his tenure.

The problem i have is this.  Lets say we limp into the dance and get bounced round 1.  Then what?  If we make the dance next year and lose in the first or second round do you fire him?  Do you extend him for a couple more years?  Do you go all in long term on him?  And what if next year is a huge year and we run to a S16?  Do you extend him a year or 2 or go big on it? 

I think you have to make you choice this year.  You either fire him or go all in on him.  Because if he has a big year next year, those who are Archie fan are going to go all in that he is the savior and everything has come to fruition and this is what we should have waited for. And the Archer detractors are going to be yelling that its only 1 year and we have to wait for year 6.  And if year 6 is down we're right back to where we are were with CTC.  And if a big name coaching changes happen and we're still waiting for something to happen here and miss out, i don't think IU will recover from it.

The administration needs to make their decision this year.  Extend him for 4 years or move on with someone new.  Four terrible years with a great year on Contract extension year is going to be a nightmare for the fanbase and the university to navigate.

At least this is how i feel about it.

I was not big on the hire either and also think he deserves 4 years to evaluate him fairly.

I addressed how I feel regarding some of your questions...I would give him another year if he makes the tourney this year. I would not extend him unless the buyout was extremely IU friendly for after next season. Then (if I were Dolson) I would sit down with Archie and have a frank discussion on what is expected next season (which I already mentioned). If he is able to meet that, great. If not, it is on to the next.

If Dolson does make a move this year, I hope he is doing his due diligence.

My bet is if Archie is let go....he will be replaced with Alford, or another "up and comer" like Oats. Based on recent history, I'm skeptical IU will make a slam dunk hire. Hopefully I am wrong.

7 minutes ago, unexpectedflash said:

I think his offense is what kids want to play in though. It's what the NBA is now and ultimately that's where kids want end up. His last two years at Buffalo were his best years so I think Hurley's players were mostly gone by then. I think we all want to win a title one day and you need a top 20 efficient offense and defense to get there and that's something Alabama has this year. 

To me I don't want to rely on one way to win and if it is just shooting 40 3's a game it will come to bite you.  I have seen Alabama hit 22 3's and they look great but have seen them go 8-37 and don't look so good.

30 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Facts:

1.  Defense is supposed to be our forte.  We are ranked 11th in our conference in defensive efficiency this year.  That is supposed to be what we do well.

2.  You'll say the year is not over yet and COVID yada, yada...but we've never played in the NCAA tournament while Miller has been here.

3.  We have never finished over .500 in our conference since Miller has been here.  Going back to Crean, we are looking at 5 straight years of this.  The first time that has happened since we joined the Big Ten Conference.

4.  He has a worse winning percentage at the moment then Mike Davis had over his 6 year IU career.  (Mike got worse and Archie got "better" by winning games against mediocre competition outside the conference).  He is barely above Crean and Crean started out with 1 returning scholarship player and had guys from the baseball team on his first roster.

5.  Al Durham is the first 4 year IU player to never make the top 10 as part of the IU program.  He hasn't made the top 20 either.  All (not)  done under Miller.  Al Durham has had the worst team oriented career of any 4 year player at IU in the history of the program.  That coincides with the 4 years Miller was coach.

And your argument is to just give him another try so that hopefully all the stars perfectly align for him to have a chance to stumble into the tournament in year 5.  Why?  7 million dollars is a drop in the bucket when this all gets rolling again and that cost is probably going to be reduced when he gets another job.  We spent $26.5 million of AD money on an international studies building for Pete's sake.  $7 million is nothing in the grand scheme of things.  Particularly if the program gets running again.  People donate when that program is doing well.  We tried things your way when it was apparent Davis was not the answer.  We tried it again when it was apparent Crean was not the answer.  Let's go the cut throat route just this once and see what happens.  And by cut throat I mean cut the guy loose and make an offer to our guy that they cannot say no to.  No matter who that guy happens to be.

Then ignore me...Not a hard concept...You can type this crap to the end of time and it's not going to change my position, so save your fingers some work...

6 minutes ago, FritzIam4IU said:

I was not big on the hire either and also think he deserves 4 years to evaluate him fairly.

I addressed how I feel regarding some of your questions...I would give him another year if he makes the tourney this year. I would not extend him unless the buyout was extremely IU friendly for after next season. Then (if I were Dolson) I would sit down with Archie and have a frank discussion on what is expected next season (which I already mentioned). If he is able to meet that, great. If not, it is on to the next.

If Dolson does make a move this year, I hope he is doing his due diligence.

My bet is if Archie is let go....he will be replaced with Alford, or another "up and comer" like Oats. Based on recent history, I'm skeptical IU will make a slam dunk hire. Hopefully I am wrong.

Oats just signed a new extension with a 10 millions dollar buyout...Archie's 10 plus his ten? That's not happening...

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

To me I don't want to rely on one way to win and if it is just shooting 40 3's a game it will come to bite you.  I have seen Alabama hit 22 3's and they look great but have seen them go 8-37 and don't look so good.

Well they have the number two defense on kenpom so I don't think they just have one way to win. There are lots of teams that shoot a lot of threes but not all of them are as good as Alabama has been. They'll blow you out if they're making their threes but I've also seen them win games where their shooting is cold. 

1 minute ago, unexpectedflash said:

Well they have the number two defense on kenpom so I don't think they just have one way to win. There are lots of teams that shoot a lot of threes but not all of them are as good as Alabama has been. They'll blow you out if they're making their threes but I've also seen them win games where their shooting is cold. 

He has been there only two years and they mainly play a lot of veterans that was already there when Oats got the job.  He might turn out to be great but I am not going to hire him until you see how he recruits in the long run.  I think he was like 16-15 last year so I would have to see a couple of more years of success before I think about him for this job.

Just now, FritzIam4IU said:

I was just using him as an example of a name being thrown around...but I didn't realize he had a 10 million buyout!

Yeah, he just signed it last week I think...Buyout is 10 million for the next 2 years...

He wouldn't be on my radar anyway...Like I said, established winning coach with a clean record...

Sadly, that pares down the field quite a bit...

Archived