Jump to content

What Would it Take?


IUFLA
 Share

Recommended Posts

I asked this question on the "Fired" thread, and it got ignored...But, being persistent is a character trait of mine...so, with that...

We all feel like this year is "a wash" and that Archie Miller, for whatever reason, buyout, COVID, ect, will have next season to determine his future...

What kind of record/post season run would it take, in your eyes, for CAM to keep his job?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

28 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I asked this question on the "Fired" thread, and it got ignored...But, being persistent is a character trait of mine...so, with that...

We all feel like this year is "a wash" and that Archie Miller, for whatever reason, buyout, COVID, ect, will have next season to determine his future...

What kind of record/post season run would it take, in your eyes, for CAM to keep his job?

I don't think it's a number.  You can play great and lose or be terrible and win. I was just hopeful we could be consistent in year 4. Anything less than top 5 in conference is disappointing 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

44 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I asked this question on the "Fired" thread, and it got ignored...But, being persistent is a character trait of mine...so, with that...

We all feel like this year is "a wash" and that Archie Miller, for whatever reason, buyout, COVID, ect, will have next season to determine his future...

What kind of record/post season run would it take, in your eyes, for CAM to keep his job?

His team needs to show vast improvement in things they are not good at right now.  He needs to loosen up his offense and let the players have some freedom. He has to finish  at least 10-10 in the conference this year.  Next year he would have to finish in the top 5 in the conference and make a good run in the tournament.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Here is what i would want next year

Fix the 2021 recruiting Class (its currently weak and terrible)
Kill it in the 2022 with Bigs and Shooters
top 3 in the B1G
Elite 8 run in the tourney (If TJD comes back), S16 without him
Play any other defense along with the Pack Line - Adjust as needed.  Play full, 3/4 or half court press.
Change in the Offensive Scheme to have some sort of purpose, like scoring
See growth in out players shooting, defensive skillset, BBIQ
Improve as the year goes on. Be better at the end than we were at the beginning and now having to start all over again at the start of the next season, see Hunter, Al, Rob
Decrease in the issues we have had the last 4 years (TOs, terrible 3 point defense (Regardless how we rank currently, we are not good at it) and lack of hustle and heart.

AND FOR THE LOVE OF ALL THAT IS HOLY.  PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE ADJUST YOUR STARTING LINE UP AT THE HALF.  YOU DON'T HAVE TO PLAY THE SAME 5 THAT STARTEED THE GAME EVERY SINGLE F'ING TIME.

He has to get better than the competition.  Growth needs to be comparable to your peers.  So far it has fallen so far behind we can't see it now.
 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He has to finish  at least 10-10 in the conference this year.  Next year he would have to finish in the top 5 in the conference and make a good run in the tournament.

I would have been okay with 10-10 before the season started and truth is, I still would.  After looking at our schedule I count 4-5 more wins and five is with me being optimistic while trying to stay realistic.  Super optimistic, and also a bit unrealistic, would be six.  I can also see 2-3 more wins being possible.  Bottom line, I don't think we are getting to 10 this year.  If he does, that certainly helps his case.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I asked this question on the "Fired" thread, and it got ignored...But, being persistent is a character trait of mine...so, with that...

We all feel like this year is "a wash" and that Archie Miller, for whatever reason, buyout, COVID, ect, will have next season to determine his future...

What kind of record/post season run would it take, in your eyes, for CAM to keep his job?

Conversely I would like to ask what you are so enamored with when it comes to CAM and the last 4 years.  What makes you think anything will change in the next 4 years?
You defend him pretty steadfastly and i am interested in what you see that so many other don't?  What do you see that makes your brain produce the happy juice that my brain doesn't.  Its likely i am overlooking something.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Even though I think it is time for a change in coaches but I will not root for us to lose games.  To me the best thing that can happen to the program is for Archie to turn this around and get us where we want to be.  To me changing coaches every few years is not healthy for a program and don't think it is always the correct response.  I don't think it is a great look if fans openly root for us to lose games just to have a coaching change.  It shows a lack of support to the players who has worked hard and put in the time to play at IU.  It is not like the pros where losing can be beneficial with top draft picks but you don't get that in college.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Conversely I would like to ask what you are so enamored with when it comes to CAM and the last 4 years.  What makes you think anything will change in the next 4 years?
You defend him pretty steadfastly and i am interested in what you see that so many other don't?  What do you see that makes your brain produce the happy juice that my brain doesn't.  Its likely i am overlooking something.

 à bon chat, bon rat...Fair question...

I see a guy that knows basketball...his father was a great high school coach, his brother's a successful D1 coach at a P6 school...I see the burning intensity to win...I see the success he had at Dayton...I see what he's trying to do in building a team and a culture...And I know, firsthand, how difficult that is...

I also see a guy that's been the victim of a few circumstances...as I said, call them excuses if you will, but he inherited a bad roster that had some chemistry issues...The injuries from Romeo's hand to Armaan's ankle...Seems like every time we're starting to go in the right direction, something comes up...

And I've been very upfront about why I feel like I do...as I said, I'm one of the more optimistic people you'll ever find. I give pretty much everyone a break until they give me reason not to...And Archie hasn't quite gone there yet...

 

  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

 à bon chat, bon rat...Fair question...

I see a guy that knows basketball...his father was a great high school coach, his brother's a successful D1 coach at a P6 school...I see the burning intensity to win...I see the success he had at Dayton...I see what he's trying to do in building a team and a culture...And I know, firsthand, how difficult that is...

I also see a guy that's been the victim of a few circumstances...as I said, call them excuses if you will, but he inherited a bad roster that had some chemistry issues...The injuries from Romeo's hand to Armaan's ankle...Seems like every time we're starting to go in the right direction, something comes up...

And I've been very upfront about why I feel like I do...as I said, I'm one of the more optimistic people you'll ever find. I give pretty much everyone a break until they give me reason not to...And Archie hasn't quite gone there yet...

 

Fair assessment.

I just typed out a huge counterpoint about CAM's offense, rigidity, blah blah blah.  But it feels like beating a dead horse.
Keep up the positivity.  Can't hurt the world or this forum.  Misery loves company though, so be prepared to be in the minority until things turn around.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Fair assessment.

I just typed out a huge counterpoint about CAM's offense, rigidity, blah blah blah.  But it feels like beating a dead horse.
Keep up the positivity.  Can't hurt the world or this forum.  Misery loves company though, so be prepared to be in the minority until things turn around.

Although I'm not as stupid concerning basketball as one particular poster thinks, I don't consider my knowledge of the inner workings of the game good enough to make those type of assessments...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Although I'm not as stupid concerning basketball as one particular poster thinks, I don't consider my knowledge of the inner workings of the game good enough to make those type of assessments...

fair enough.  I don't either.  But even i can see the glaring issues with this team.  I honestly think i could game plan against IU and be somewhat successful.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Can I add a question?  What changes would you like Archie to make to keep him?

1) Show Emotion

2) Get out there, Indiana baskeball coach should be the governor, not only present for games.  

3) Get rid of the packline.  Teams that shoot it always kill it against us.  We also seem to have opposing players have career nights.

4) get coaches and himself to stop throwing their hands down like disapointed kids whenever a player misses a shot.  You don't want them taking it - sit them on the pine.  If you want them to take them fo a Matt Painter and tell them to keep shooting.  Its so childish to see it after every shot from him and Osterum.

5) Get some new sets and quick hitters.

6) Extend the D

7) Stop having zoom interviews with only his NC jersey in background.  Where is the IU stuff - do you get what it means to be at IU

😎 Show more effort in the little things - Midnight madness, have non game day charity events, etc.

My kids are telling me to get off the phone....got to go

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I asked this question on the "Fired" thread, and it got ignored...But, being persistent is a character trait of mine...so, with that...

We all feel like this year is "a wash" and that Archie Miller, for whatever reason, buyout, COVID, ect, will have next season to determine his future...

What kind of record/post season run would it take, in your eyes, for CAM to keep his job?

We are in year four..... and it is pretty much same ol same ol!! Team can’t hit open shots and team is dismal from the line!! Do we just work on defense in practice!????? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Even though I think it is time for a change in coaches but I will not root for us to lose games.  To me the best thing that can happen to the program is for Archie to turn this around and get us where we want to be.  To me changing coaches every few years is not healthy for a program and don't think it is always the correct response.  I don't think it is a great look if fans openly root for us to lose games just to have a coaching change.  It shows a lack of support to the players who has worked hard and put in the time to play at IU.  It is not like the pros where losing can be beneficial with top draft picks but you don't get that in college.

Agree. There is no point in rooting for us to lose.  It’s not like you can tank for Trevor. It’s quite the opposite.  It can be difficult to turn around recruiting.  

The good news if Archie is cut loose?  Hopefully he leaves a decent nucleus for the next coach.  Crean barely left anything of value for Archie.  The new coach may be here with Duncomb, Galloway, Geronimo, Leal and others.  I believe these guys will be team oriented guys who could help a new coach. 

Edited by BobSaccamanno
  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Agree. There is no point in rooting for us to lose.  It’s not like you can tank for Trevor. It’s quite the opposite.  It can be difficult to turn around recruiting.  

The good news if Archie is cut loose?  Hopefully he leaves a decent nucleus for the next coach.  Crean barely left anything of value for Archie.  The new coach may be here with Duncomb, Galloway, Geronimo, Leal and others.  I believe these guys will be team oriented guys who could help a new coach. 

You probably would have a couple leave after a coaching change

Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Shooting 

Free throws

loosen up the offense and have a better flow to the offense

Players playing hard for 40  minutes

eliminating the 5-6 minute scoring droughts

Come on Scott...you think they don't work on the first two things, in both individual workouts with coaches and on their own?

I'm not sure what you mean by "loosen up the offense." My own opinion is, the players sometimes "loosen it up" on their own, and it results in bad shots.

And while I've seen times where this team hasn't played at full throttle, I have seen what I think is improvement from past years...

As for your last point, it seems to me we go on those droughts when we go outside the offense and start taking bad shots...

 

Edited by IUFLA
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, IUFLA said:

Come on Scott...you think they don't work on the first two things, in both individual workouts with coaches and on their own?

I'm not sure what you mean by "listen up the offense." My own opinion is, the players sometimes "loosen it up" on their own, and it results in bad shots.

And while I've seen times where this team hasn't played at full throttle, I have seen what I think is improvement from past years...

As for your last point, it seems to me we go on those droughts when we go outside the offense and start taking bad shots...

 

Did not say they did not work on it.  You said what we  need to see for him to keep his job

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

Did not say they did not work on it.  You said what we  need to see for him to keep his job

I gotcha...you don't want to hear about the labor pains, you just want to see the baby 😉

You don't think between the emergence of Armaan, a more confident Hunter, Leal with more time, and an already proven Stewart coming in we're not in fairly good shape in the area of shooting?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I gotcha...you don't want to hear about the labor pains, you just want to see the baby 😉

You don't think between the emergence of Armaan, a more confident Hunter, Leal with more time, and an already proven Stewart coming in we're not in fairly good shape in the area of shooting?

I have see it for more than a few games.  You know I have been backing Archie but I have lost any hope he will turn it around.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...