What Would it Take?

IUFLA

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I have see it for more than a few games.  You know I have been backing Archie but I have lost any hope he will turn it around.

Each journey begins with one step...😁

"Lost any hope"? Come on...just a shred? A sliver?

It'll be sweet when he puts it all together...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It started with the Northwestern game and lady night sealed the deal.  I have been lying to myself that IU basketball is relevant but it isn't.  I am tired of being mediocre and losing to Purdue.  I am tired of us hoping we can finish in the  top half of the conference.

I really hate our offense and how we don't move the ball or players

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Also it seems like recruiting is slowing down and we missed on the 7'0 transfer from UCONN.  It seemed like we would be the pick since he said he left because coach Hunter left who is now here.  If TJD leaves after the year it will be worse than this year

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I gotcha...you don't want to hear about the labor pains, you just want to see the baby 😉

You don't think between the emergence of Armaan, a more confident Hunter, Leal with more time, and an already proven Stewart coming in we're not in fairly good shape in the area of shooting?

As evidenced by 3-18 from 3 vs Purdue?

4 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

As evidenced by 3-18 from 3 vs Purdue?

I'll not make excuses for the other night, but that was one game...in the 8 games prior, we shot 36%.

I think going forward, all things considered, we're in pretty good shape...

I think to realistically answer this thread, we can't shoot for the stars with what we have.  If we could finish like let's say even 7th in the conference this year?  Say, 8-12 maybe?  Then better than that the next year, it would be tough to fire him if we don't have a big timer lined up.  BUT... let's be honest - we have 3 wins right now.  What games are we going to win?  I understand there are always upset, but will we literally be underdogs in every game we have left?  What are our best chances at wins?  at Purdue?  at NW?  Both beat us at home.  Everyone else we play is ranked other than Rutgers and MSU.  If you've seen Rutgers play, they are solid!  MSU has struggled, but are we really counting on those?  Remember we beat 0-5 Nebraska by 8.  0-3 PSU in 2OTs by 2 at home.  2-5 MD by 8 at home.  But if some how we win 5 more and finish top 7, that would be solid.  Then TJD will have to stick around in order for us to not take a step backwards next year.  So...I think Archie just might be in trouble?

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It's pretty close to the overall league average...Michigan shoots 37% from 3...

And it is an improvement over the 32% we shot last season...

It might be good for todays game but I remember teams shooting a lot better than that in the past.  Is there one player on our roster when he shoots that you think it will go in.  I remember having plenty of players who I was shocked when they missed it.  We don't have one player i would confidence in taking a shot to win the game.

Starting to think this team will go as far as Armaan takes it.  He was obviously rusty last night from deep, but if he can start connecting again, IU could turn this around.  

Maybe throw Stewart in for an offensive jolt. 

I like Rob and Al, but the combo of them has hurt more often than helped this year.   Maybe split them up again and see what happens.  

Lineups will be interesting vs Iowa to see if any adjustments were made this week. 

Just now, Bustout said:

Starting to think this team will go as far as Armaan takes it.  He was obviously rusty last night from deep, but if he can start connecting again, IU could turn this around.  

I like Rob and Al, but the combo of them has hurt more often than helped this year.   Maybe split them up again and see what happens.  

Lineups will be interesting vs Iowa to see if any adjustments were made this week. 

The thing is even worth Franklin and Stewart on the floor we need to start running plays to get them pen.  Set screens for them instead of just standing and hoping someone kicks it out to them.  I hate Purdue but they run guys off screens and double screens to get them open.  It is up to the player to hit them but Purdue puts them in the best position to hit them.  You can tell Purdue players have been taught good shooting techniques like being ready to shoot when you get the ball and are squared up.

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Adjustments haven’t been made yet in Archies tenure.  Hope you are right but I wouldn’t hold my breath

8 hours ago, IU Scott said:

If it were me the next game the starting lineup would be

RP

Franklin

Hunter

Race

TJD

I think I might agree Scott.  Tough thing is when people say we'll only go as far as Armaan takes us, I kind of agree.  What should our expectations or Armaan be though?  Coming into college he was 151 nationally and the 27th SG.  He was offered by Purdue, Butler, Ball St., Moorehead St., DePaul, Evansville, Maimi (OH), Xavier, Clemson, OSU, and Louisville.  Nice complimentary player if you have studs around him for sure.  TJD counts as one.  If Armaan is the guard we have to count on to carry us, that's a heavy load for him to carry.  Romeo still being here or Lander being what I hoped he would be immediately sure would make the difference.   

11 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Also it seems like recruiting is slowing down and we missed on the 7'0 transfer from UCONN.  It seemed like we would be the pick since he said he left because coach Hunter left who is now here.  If TJD leaves after the year it will be worse than this year

Go back to your buddies at Rivals!

😁

Screenshot_20201121-131845.thumb.png.9431e862223591eca2eb737ea30cea21.png

19 hours ago, IUFLA said:

I asked this question on the "Fired" thread, and it got ignored...But, being persistent is a character trait of mine...so, with that...

We all feel like this year is "a wash" and that Archie Miller, for whatever reason, buyout, COVID, ect, will have next season to determine his future...

What kind of record/post season run would it take, in your eyes, for CAM to keep his job?

My short answer is he has to make the tourney. If he does that I think most people would say ok...let's take a deep breath. If he doesn't make tourney AND TJD leaves early....things might go another direction real fast. You never want apathy in your program. I'm not there and probably never will be but I certainly can sense it settling in. 

2 hours ago, NCHoosier32 said:

What should our expectations or Armaan be though?  Coming into college he was 151 nationally and the 27th SG.  He was offered by Purdue, Butler, Ball St., Moorehead St., DePaul, Evansville, Maimi (OH), Xavier, Clemson, OSU, and Louisville.  Nice complimentary player if you have studs around him for sure.

I know I don't know anything about basketball, but...

D'Mitrik Trice was rated 333rd in the 2016 class...and I believe he'll be All B10 this year. Trice pretty much willed Wisconsin to victory over us, and did the same thing to Rutgers last night at the RAC. 

Armaan was averaging 17 ppg and shooting 51% from 3 point range in the 7 contests before he got hurt. I love Romeo Langford, and I'm only mentioning him because you brought him up, but he averaged 16 ppg his one year here. Armaan is a top notch defender too. He'll be on an All B10 team before he's through. He's turning himself into more than just a "complimentary player." I firmly believe that once his ankle heals this year, and in coming years, he'll be our D'Mitrik Trice, only bigger and better.

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know I don't know anything about basketball, but...

D'Mitrik Trice was rated 333rd in the 2019 class...and I believe he'll be All B10 this year. Trice pretty much willed Wisconsin to victory over us, and did the same thing to Rutgers last night at the RAC. 

Armaan was averaging 17 ppg and shooting 51% from 3 point range in the 7 contests before he got hurt. I love Romeo Langford, and I'm only mentioning him because you brought him up, but he averaged 16 ppg his one year here. Armaan is a top notch defender too. He'll be on an All B10 team before he's through. He's turning himself into more than just a "complimentary player." I firmly believe that once his ankle heals this year, and in coming years, he'll be our D'Mitrik Trice, only bigger and better.

Hey!  I kind of don't disagree.  There are definitely exceptions to the rankings.  All over the place.  Just don't think it is the norm.  Armaan definitely may be one of those!  My only point is most teams don't expect that guy to carry them.  He has certainly played well though.  It's just the same when we expect big things from Rob and Al.  And hang in there about not knowing much about bball.  You can still give your opinions and learn more too!

Archived