Indiana HS Football 2021

Probably one of my favorite topics to talk about, since Indiana is slowly rising in football status over the last few years. I thinking it will be a great season and hopeful they will be able to play. 

Way too early State predictions: 

6A: Center Grove 

5A: Cathedral or Valpo

4A: There are too many to pick from, definitely one of the deeper classes 

3A: Marian or Danville, possibly a surprise team 

2A: Pioneer? 

1A: South Adams 

A lot of these are guesses, but we will see as the season progresses 

6A - There are three other teams that need to be mentioned.  Ben Davis really came on late in the year.  Carmel will always be in the mix.  And Warren was really young last year and added a new coach in Kirchner who is outstanding.

Valpo, I think they lose a couple of key pieces but I don’t know if anyone can touch Cathedral.

10 minutes ago, thirdgenhoosier said:

6A - There are three other teams that need to be mentioned.  Ben Davis really came on late in the year.  Carmel will always be in the mix.  And Warren was really young last year and added a new coach in Kirchner who is outstanding.

Valpo, I think they lose a couple of key pieces but I don’t know if anyone can touch Cathedral.

Kirchner from Mt Vernon/Ben Davis? Or a different one. Valpo should’ve have been the state game last year, but Zionsville really surprised me

Indiana went to 6 classes in 2013.  Since then, no school outside of the Indy Metro has won the 6 A state title.

Before that, in the days of 5 classes, the last non-Indianapolis area team to win a championship in what was the largest class at that time was Penn in 2000.

The moral of the story is that, if you are a large school in Indiana, but not in Marion or one of the adjoining counties, you are not winning a State Title in football.  

25 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Indiana went to 6 classes in 2013.  Since then, no school outside of the Indy Metro has won the 6 A state title.

Before that, in the days of 5 classes, the last non-Indianapolis area team to win a championship in what was the largest class at that time was Penn in 2000.

The moral of the story is that, if you are a large school in Indiana, but not in Marion or one of the adjoining counties, you are not winning a State Title in football.  

6A is always a Monster every year, Indy teams just dominate it

5A: usually an Indy team or near Indy, and sometimes outsiders 

4A: Same thing with Indy Teams, even though Cathedral won 5 straight so it’s inflated a bit. However, Evansville teams do have success too, 2007+2009 Reitz team, 2019 Memorial and 2018 Runner up Central. Don’t forget the Fort Wayne teams

3A: Chatard usually dominates it, however there are teams rising like West Lafayette, Southridge, Danville, Larrenceburg, Heritage Hills, Gibson Southern and Indy Teams of course. Evansville Memorial is included too when they go back to 3A again 

2A: Luers had dominated the the class, now it’s a free for all in my opinion. Though Western Boone is showing significant dominance 

1A: LCC, Pioneer are the main ones 

*Since 2007

Edited by Hoosierfan1901

@btownqb

throwing this in here so we don't derail the crap out of CJ Gunns thread.  For those of you that didn't see it, Btownqb made the claim that the MIC conference is the the best public school conference in the nation when weighing football and basketball.  A strong claim could be made for sure that they are the strongest basketball conference in the country.  

I immediately thought of Dallas because of family and having drove through their this summer.  Interesting find about Texas and Florida high school sports, they don't have conferences.  Which evidently is common in other states.  What they do is group you by district.  It's basically like our common sectional opponents factored by class size and proximity.  I started googling top conferences and came up with this guys breakdown.  https://www.maxpreps.com/news/pB61zCftc0WZDg-YF7MTCQ/trinity-league-headlines-top-10-toughest-leagues-in-high-school-football.htm

Let me just state how loaded Texas is in football.  They have 120 of the top 1000 players per 247.  And 7 of the top 19 nationally ranked teams per maxprep.  

Another thing that messes this up is Texas has like 11 high school football classes(crazy).  https://www.uiltexas.org/football/alignments  So for football the most stacked from top to bottom is in what's called 6A Region 1 District 7, with 7 teams, 5 in the nations top 786.  In basketball it's 6A Region 2 District 11.  It's mostly the exact same teams but minus Waco and Duncanville in basketball but not football and minus South Grand Prairie in football but not basketball(no clue why).  In basketball, Waxahachie and Duncanville are ranked 13 and 14.  Lawrence North is 15.  Duncanville has the number 44 player in the nation going to Texas Tech.  So they do have some basketball, along with Mansfield at 140 nationally.  

So here's the insane depth of this region, again, downplaying the strength of the Dallas Ft Worth area as this is just about a 25% of Dallas, around the south west corner.  There are a few more regions around Dallas you could make a similar argument for but this region has the 2 best basketball teams.

Teams in Top 25 — 0

Teams ranked 26-100 — 1
No. 52 DeSoto (Texas)

Teams ranked 101-1,000 — 4

Other teams — 2

It came down to District 7-6A and District 5-6A for the top spot in Texas but the depth was the deciding factor. It's one of four leagues/districts featured in the Top 10 with at least five teams ranked in the Top 1,000."  

I did my work. I'm guessing if someone wants to dig into California there may be a chance.  Here's the top 10 producing football states.  https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2763032-ranking-the-10-states-with-the-most-talent-in-college-football-right-now

And found this about basketball per state.  https://watchstadium.com/ranking-every-state-in-the-u-s-by-the-college-basketball-prospects-it-produces-06-24-2019/  top 100 guys per state from 15-19.  

Have fun looking at these lists.  

However, Indiana does have their fair share of big HS football stadiums too, for example. Evansville Reitz has one of the biggest stadiums I have ever seen. With a capacity of 11,000-12,000, it feels like a small college atmosphere. In 2017, the city’s 2 undefeated teams at the time( Memorial and Reitz) had an electric college atmosphere, if I recall at least over 9,500 tickets were sold, and more people outside watching behind the fences. I remember it being super packed, shoulder by shoulder. I think the Memorial Student Section had 300 students show up. It was a crazy game, my Tigers ended up defeating Reitz, dominating the game. I usually go at least once every year due to away games, though size had weather down  due to Reitz having unsuccessful years lately. Except the MD and Castle Games, heard those bring sizable crowds.

image.jpeg.2d49adf79cacb5c34a29456406d75da4.jpeg

• Like 1

On 1/17/2021 at 2:13 AM, Hoosierfan1901 said:

image.thumb.jpeg.a991b30850ad60e8532b68cae5e53fc7.jpeg

The white house directly in front of the steps on the right side of the pic. My best friends older cousin lived there and when we were in High school we would go down and sled ride down the hill get some Bobes pizza etc. She was HOT!!!!!!! Only reason I wanted to head down there for sure. Completely off topic but brought back some great memories.

• Haha 1

On 1/16/2021 at 6:53 PM, 5fouls said:

Indy Metro makes up 18 of the 32 schools in that class though. I understand what you're saying though. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Taking a job elsewhere? Hate to say it when I hear coaches unexpectedly resigning after 2 really good seasons it's usually not good. 

Didn’t sound like it in the article, I’ve seen they have internal problems on/off field. Also they are losing around 90% of starters and production on the field, rumor is that their cub program is in shambles, but they do have a decent junior class. It’s definitely interesting because this is their 3rd or 4th Coach since 2016.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Didn’t sound like it in the article, I’ve seen they have internal problems on/off field. Also they are losing around 90% of starters and production on the field, rumor is that their cub program is in shambles, but they do have a decent junior class. It’s definitely interesting because this is their 3rd or 4th Coach since 2016.

Wow. Didn't know the other stuff. 3rd or 4th coach in 5 years? Sounds like an admin or overall athletic department problem. I'm sure he'll find a job in short order.

1 minute ago, Seeking6 said:

Wow. Didn't know the other stuff. 3rd or 4th coach in 5 years? Sounds like an admin or overall athletic department problem. I'm sure he'll find a job in short order.

They implode during games in which they are down bad, I’ve seen it happen a lot, players fighting amongst each other, it’s really sad 

Edited by Hoosierfan1901