Indiana HS Football 2021

13 hours ago, TheWatShot said:

The Summit Athletic Conference (SAC) did not get a team to semi state for the first time in 34 years. 

Old school reactions: "Wow, quite a run for that conference. Maybe they'll bounce back next year." 

Modern, social media-driven reactions: "Wow, how embarrassing! The SAC needs to do away with its scheduling format so its teams can start going deeper in the playoffs! Need tougher games in the regular season! Gotta prepare for the tournament by playing the best!" 

I don't have a dog in that fight, so I don't care what the SAC decides to do, but sometimes, you just have to accept that you lost to a better team and live with it. Indianapolis is on a different plane than the rest of the state when it comes to football, and Fort Wayne teams playing them in August isn't going to magically change anything that happens should they meet again in November. 

Having a son who plays in the SAC, I would like to see them play a couple non-conference games a year.  The kids in that conference, unless they’re one of the few that gets to the Regional, never see anything in their high school career but the same 9 coaches, systems, stadiums, etc.  I’m not necessarily saying it would help the Fort Wayne 6A schools beat the big Indy schools, but seeing and preparing for something different a couple times a season, before the playoffs, certainly wouldn’t hurt.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, btownqb said:

It's irrelevant anyway because I don't see many Indy teams that would want to drive to FW for a Friday game... why would they? 

What they're doing now works.

SAC is fine. 

Why would you not schedule a Saturday showcase game....maybe do some cross conference matchups like BIG VS ACC Challenge or something?? Swap home and away each year. I don't get the reluctance to play on Saturday. When I was in HS we played about half our games on Saturday noon kickoffs because we traveled so far.

1 hour ago, IUJoe said:

Having a son who plays in the SAC, I would like to see them play a couple non-conference games a year.  The kids in that conference, unless they’re one of the few that gets to the Regional, never see anything in their high school career but the same 9 coaches, systems, stadiums, etc.  I’m not necessarily saying it would help the Fort Wayne 6A schools beat the big Indy schools, but seeing and preparing for something different a couple times a season, before the playoffs, certainly wouldn’t hurt.

Yeah I agree with you. It's all about preparing for the playoffs....finding out what you need to work on to get better...testing yourself...and honestly...it's about fun!! Kids should get the experience of going someplace new and leaving their area...those long bus rides etc are where lot's of memories are made and chance to bond with your friend/team. 

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yeah I agree with you. It's all about preparing for the playoffs....finding out what you need to work on to get better...testing yourself...and honestly...it's about fun!! Kids should get the experience of going someplace new and leaving their area...those long bus rides etc are where lot's of memories are made and chance to bond with your friend/team. 

There was just an article in this morning's paper that kids are now up to two hours late for school in Ft. Wayne due to bus driver shortages. In these times especially, I think school corporations would be hard put to spend the extra money to bus kids hours away, both for the cost as well as the need to ensure there are drivers to transport the kids. 

Not sure a school superintendent would want to subject him/herself to the scrutiny of signing off on those kinds of expenditures, when they are struggling in so many other areas.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

There was just an article in this morning's paper that kids are now up to two hours late for school in Ft. Wayne due to bus driver shortages. In these times especially, I think school corporations would be hard put to spend the extra money to bus kids hours away, both for the cost as well as the need to ensure there are drivers to transport the kids. 

Not sure a school superintendent would want to subject him/herself to the scrutiny of signing off on those kinds of expenditures, when they are struggling in so many other areas.

Good point. Very valid.

2 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I saw a bit of a story on Homestead's driver shortage.  Seems they were thinking about somehow "skirting" around the CDL licenses?

Anyway, I think the SAC is just fine the way it is.  

24 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

I understand, but our kids bus to every road game whether it’s in town or out-of-town.  And we’re really just talking one out-of-town regular season game a year.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

LOL...the Tigers will get ya next year!  But seriously, you think Carroll and Homestead might have made a mistake by joining the SAC?  

No, I think it was the right move for both schools.  No offense to the schools in the conference they left, but I think the SAC is better across the board in every sport.  Sometimes I wonder if the other schools in the SAC regret letting them in, because one or the other wins most of the conference championships, lol.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Why would you not schedule a Saturday showcase game....maybe do some cross conference matchups like BIG VS ACC Challenge or something?? Swap home and away each year. I don't get the reluctance to play on Saturday. When I was in HS we played about half our games on Saturday noon kickoffs because we traveled so far.

Where did you play? 

There is a refree shortage big time, that plays a role. You schedule officials like 2 years in advance. 

The other thing... it puts you behind a day of prep. Sat morning we watch film.. then that afternoon we "start" building our scouting report for the next week's opponent. 

Lastly.. and still.. what do the Indy schools gain by playing FW schools? I don't mean that disrespectfullly. 

The two best football conferences(by a lot) in the state are in Indy. Plus.. Brebuef, Chatard, Roncalli, Cathedral, Plainfield, Whiteland, New Pal, Fortville, etc. What does FW give them in that aspect? It's only a 9 game schedule.

Sitting your kids on a bus for 2.5hrs doesn't make a lot of sense when you can schedule someone 40 mins away, usually, at most. 

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, btownqb said:

Where did you play? 

There is a refree shortage big time, that plays a role. You schedule officials like 2 years in advance. 

The other thing... it puts you behind a day of prep. Sat morning we watch film.. then that afternoon we "start" building our scouting report for the next week's opponent. 

Lastly.. and still.. what do the Indy schools gain by playing FW schools? I don't mean that disrespectfullly. 

The two best football conferences(by a lot) in the state are in Indy. Plus.. Brebuef, Chatard, Roncalli, Cathedral, Plainfield, Whiteland, New Pal, Fortville, etc. What does FW give them in that aspect? It's only a 9 game schedule.

Sitting your kids on a bus for 2.5hrs doesn't make a lot of sense when you can schedule someone 40 mins away, usually, at most. 

Yeah....played at a small independent school. No conference so we had to travel. I understand there isn't anything in it for the Indy schools. Maybe some of those FW schools could try to schedule an out of state game to get that higher level experience. I was just looking at it from the FW side...not the Indy side. Totally no reason for them to do it....everything is working out well for them....growing in size and power and have the best coaches/facilities. Just trying to think outside the box for other schools.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Yeah....played at a small independent school. No conference so we had to travel. I understand there isn't anything in it for the Indy schools. Maybe some of those FW schools could try to schedule an out of state game to get that higher level experience. I was just looking at it from the FW side...not the Indy side. Totally no reason for them to do it....everything is working out well for them....growing in size and power and have the best coaches/facilities. Just trying to think outside the box for other schools.

Yeah, there would be plenty of other options for Fort Wayne schools besides the Indy schools.  They could work out a home- and-home with a school from Detroit, Toledo, Cleveland, etc.  And back in the day, the SAC was split into two divisions (North and South) and you only played 3 of the 5 in the other division.  I think it’s something they should take a look at.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, btownqb said:

Where did you play? 

So why did Carmel travel to Louisville for a game this year?  Why did Cathedral travel to Cincinnati?  I'm not sure why Fort Wayne would be out of the question for schools willing to go out of state.

Edited by IUJoe

8 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

So why did Carmel travel to Louisville for a game this year?  Why did Cathedral travel to Cincinnati?  I'm not sure why Fort Wayne would be out of the question for schools willing to go out of state.

I would rather the Fort Wayne schools play some games against the NLC.  Particularly against Mishawaka, Goshen, and Concord.  But I am biased.

BTW...Warsaw played Dublin Coffman(OH) this season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, rico said:

I would rather the Fort Wayne schools play some games against the NLC.  Particularly against Mishawaka, Goshen, and Concord.  But I am biased.

BTW...Warsaw played Dublin Coffman(OH) this season.

I'd like to see the SAC give schools room for 2 non-conference games.  I'd love for one of them to be against Warsaw.  I think that could develop into a fun rivalry. especially since we've met in the playoffs the last two years.  I think, at least the programs trying to achieve what Carroll and Homestead are, the other needs to be against a powerhouse, either from this state or Ohio/Michigan.

55 minutes ago, IUJoe said:

.... what's the advantage? Those two schools drove there to 1. Find competition (both those schools would regularly throttle anyone in the SAC) 2. Play the elite in the Midwest

3 hours ago, IUJoe said:

I'd like to see the SAC give schools room for 2 non-conference games.  I'd love for one of them to be against Warsaw.  I think that could develop into a fun rivalry. especially since we've met in the playoffs the last two years.  I think, at least the programs trying to achieve what Carroll and Homestead are, the other needs to be against a powerhouse, either from this state or Ohio/Michigan.

Kinda interesting that people complain that college conferences don’t play a round robin schedule, and that from year to year a champion can be determined by who a team does/ doesn’t play. Yet when the SAC plays a schedule that fairly determines a winner, all of a sudden people want to mess with it 

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kinda interesting that people complain that college conferences don’t play a round robin schedule, and that from year to year a champion can be determined by who a team does/ doesn’t play. Yet when the SAC plays a schedule that fairly determines a winner, all of a sudden people want to mess with it 

LOL...true dat.  I feel the SAC is just fine the way it is.  Not saying I wouldn't like to see them play a few ooc games just to see some intriguing match-ups.

14 hours ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Yeah I don't really see a problem with it at all.