Why not Michael Lewis?

He is from Jasper.  I have had the privilege of playing with him, albeit summer ball, and spending alot of time playing ball with him because of my dad. Phenomenal person and even better player. Is the career assist leader At IU.

Indiana connection, but I believe he could do it. The only player I ever saw get in RMKs face. Hes got the fire. 

Maybe he wouldn't succeed but Archie isnt either right now, but when I visited my dad on weekends growing up he would take me to open gym on Saturdays in Jasper. 

And I would play scrimmage with Lewis,and alot of other 90's Jasper athletes. It's been along time but I remember Lewis giving RMK some fight.  

My opinion... If the admin decides to cut bait, it should be only if and when they have locked up a guaranteed heavy hitter. Otherwise, you stick with what you have and continue to stall and hope for the best while keeping feelers out.

There has already been too many gambles the way it is. From a business standpoint, very poor investments.

6 hours ago, Inequality said:

My opinion... If the admin decides to cut bait, it should be only if and when they have locked up a guaranteed heavy hitter. Otherwise, you stick with what you have and continue to stall and hope for the best while keeping feelers out.

There has already been too many gambles the way it is. From a business standpoint, very poor investments.

Fore sure this.  We can't afford another coach to come in for 4 years and continue the revolving door.  I get the sentimental suggestions everyone is giving, but I don't get hiring an IU guy if he is not the best coaching candidate just because he is an IU guy.  It would be so awesome if we did and any of those guys worked out, but pretty much every one of them mentioned have never been a head coach, never been a head coach at the college level, or not even coaching right now.  We really can't afford a long shot.  We need a heavy hitter.   

Here's the resume...

Link 

Not exactly mind blowing with a lot of stops...

And if this blurb is on your resume, you might want to get something with a little more meat...

"he was named one of the top five assistant coaches in the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) by FoxSports.com in 2010."

You have to wonder if he was such a promising coach, why hasn't he nabbed a head coaching gig even at a lower level after 17 years?

3 hours ago, IUFLA said:

Here's the resume...

Link 

Not exactly mind blowing with a lot of stops...

And if this blurb is on your resume, you might want to get something with a little more meat...

"he was named one of the top five assistant coaches in the Ohio Valley Conference (OVC) by FoxSports.com in 2010."

You have to wonder if he was such a promising coach, why hasn't he nabbed a head coaching gig even at a lower level after 17 years?

Some guys just bid their time in the shadows until boom, your the assistant coach of UCLA and just past 40 years old.  He has plenty of time.  

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Honest question...

Why wasn't he considered for an IU assistant job in the last 17 years?

Not sure, probably too fiery for Crean. Not sure why he’s not an assistant on Archies staff.  Ostrom brings nothing to the table as far as Xs and Os and I don’t think Roberts does either.  

And maybe he wanted to distance himself from IU after the Knight stuff as well.  I know several players that did, but I’m not sure he was one of them.

I really like Lewis.  No question he was a really tough kid who was one of my favorites of that era.  I was very tuned into the program back then, and our problems from that era have been largely mis-stated but that’s a long story for another day.  Heck, even Dakich owns up to some of those problems in terms of the kids brought in.  However, what I like about Lewis is he was a tough kid through and through despite a lot of less tough kids falling by the wayside.  Yet he perservered.  

Having said all that, I’d take him as an assistant here.  But, just based on resume, an assistant without head coaching experience is a bridge too far for me.  IU does some bizarre stuff in terms of not hiring the best credentialed guy but even the IU guys probably wouldn’t go with an assistant who has not been a head coach. 

Archived