Let The Negative Recruiting Begin

5fouls

19 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

You're confusing thinking he'll fail with wanting him to fail. I think @5fouls was correct that most fans want Miller to succeed but now the number of fans thinking he won't is growing, and growing quickly. That's why this board seems so bipolar: IU will play a really good game or two and those who doubt start to think that maybe the team has turned the corner and is about to breakout. Then they go and have games like Purdue. Up and down, up and down. And it's not new issues each time, it's the same things that have been issues in the 3.5 years under Miller. If he suddenly figures out how to get the players to shoot well, play motivated all game every game, cut down on bad plays, etc and start winning consistently then a bunch of those people you think want him to fail would change their tunes because they don't want that. They want IU to be successful, regardless of who the coach is. There might be a few that do want him to fail because they really dislike him for whatever reason, but that is a very small minority.

A 31 page "It's Time...Fire Archie Miller" thread says differently. There's no shortage of posters over there ready willing and able to shovel dirt on CAM's grave.

I'm just going by the posts I read. You're either ready to give him the next year and a half with an open mind, or you're not. And I think the "not" crowd here is larger than those of us willing to have the patience to let it play out.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, Stlboiler23 said:

I know I’m extremely biased but I think it’d be tough to negatively recruit against Painter right now if I’m Archie. He has the job security, the winning streak against IU, and a solid roster moving forward. If I’m a recruit, I’m thinking to myself, Archie’s time might be limited, he’s winless against Purdue, and overall there seems to be somewhat of a lack of development with his players. 

I personally don’t get the impression that Archie negatively recruits against anyone, including Painter.  I envision it more as a “look what we have to offer, how you’ll fit in, fans worship you, plan to get to next level, etc”. 

I could be totally naive and dumb. Probably both. 

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

A 31 page "It's Time...Fire Archie Miller" thread says differently. There's no shortage of posters over there ready willing and able to shovel dirt on CAM's grave.

I'm just going by the posts I read. You're either ready to give him the next year and a half with an open mind, or you're not. And I think the "not" crowd here is larger than those of us willing to have the patience to let it play out.

No, that says that a large number now think there is enough evidence to suggest that he won't succeed. It doesn't mean that they want him to fail. It's a pretty big difference. Like I said, if the team suddenly starts to play well and do that consistently, you'd see a bunch of the people saying they're ready for him to be fired change their tune. 

Archie needs to win and win now.  If others are using negative recruiting against IU and Archie so be it.  Totally out of Archie's control.  If other coaches are using that, and it was me being recruited, it would be a turn off.  I would want to hear about the program you are recruiting for can do for me.  Lastly, there are 3-1/4 years of data and results of Archie while at IU.  To the tops recruits out there, probably doesn't look all that appealing.  Hell, if I was a top 150 recruit and being recruited by IU, I would listen to other programs.  The last 25 years have been brutal.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

Hopefully all this talk is moot and Arch catches some lightning in a bottle.

Agree. I think this is Archie's "Season on the Brink". He needs to bring in some difference making transfers (Stewart may be a start) prior to next season. Logan Duncomb is a nice recruit, but not enough to get the fanbase excited for year 5. A Dean Garrett and Keith Smart would be nice.

2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Agree. I think this is Archie's "Season on the Brink". He needs to bring in some difference making transfers (Stewart may be a start) prior to next season. Logan Duncomb is a nice recruit, but not enough to get the fanbase excited for year 5. A Dean Garrett and Keith Smart would be nice.

If Dean and Keith can still play, sneak 'em in.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Has that thread gotten out of hand? Sure, and I know I've contributed to it. But, I still think the vast majority in that thread would take Archie figuring this out as their #1 option. 

I think a heavy majority wants him to succeed, but like you and I have discussed this is year 4 and we're losing the same type of games for the same reasons. 

But, most of us are still hoping he gets it going.

I also agree with you that things aren't really as bad as they seem. FSU loss in OT, Wisconsin loss in 2OT (where we got robbed), close NW loss that could have gone either way, close Illinois loss that could have gone either way. 

Flip even two of those, especially the two OT ones and we're probably not having as many of these conversations. 

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

No, that says that a large number now think there is enough evidence to suggest that he won't succeed. It doesn't mean that they want him to fail. It's a pretty big difference. Like I said, if the team suddenly starts to play well and do that consistently, you'd see a bunch of the people saying they're ready for him to be fired change their tune. 

The majority of posts in that thread suggest he already has failed and that he should be replaced. 

People standing by a hospital patient's bed discussing the funeral plans...

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

But, I still think the vast majority in that thread would take Archie figuring this out as their #1 option. 

They sure have a funny way of showing it. Talking about kicking in money for the buyout? Over playing recruiting "failures" and lack of player development? 5hat in no way suggests support to me.

As I said I'm concerned too...

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The majority of posts in that thread suggest he already has failed and that he should be replaced. 

People standing by a hospital patient's bed discussing the funeral plans...

Still not the same thing as wanting him to fail.

The fans here are saying, "he's failed, time to move on because won't won't fix what's wrong." If he does turn it around, most of these people would be fine with keeping him. They just don't think he will.

On another board a couple of years, a "fan" literally said, "Real IU fans should be rooting for losses." This is wanting him to fail.

You obviously can't understand the very large difference between the two so I'm done responding to you.

8 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

Since it's a new thread I'll respond. Wish we could just have one dump on the program thread. But that's just me. 

Put me in a room vs any of the 4 coaches you mentioned and even in turbulent times I could still win the battle.

Painter-Nice guy. Sometimes good coach. Doesn't have track record of guys getting in the league and staying in the league. Why would you want to play for the other program in the state? Lights still shine on Bloomington. Always have always will.

Izzo-Phenomenal coach and one of the all time greats....but Mr or Mrs Parent look at him. Looks like to me as his time is coming to an end.

Holtman-Basketball players like to play basketball at a basketball school. Mr or Mrs Recruit you are an after thought at Ohio St.

Underwood-...haha. So many to list. The best player to head there in last 2 decades (Ayo) needs at least 3 years to get to the league..and that's any next level league not the NBA. We can get you there in 2.,etc....

These are just versions or angles of what I'd be saying. Negative recruiting happens everywhere. Not just vs Archie. Shoot Calipari is probably not getting returned calls this morning. 

Agreed. I’m as upset as anyone but nothing is happening til the end of the year at the earliest and more likely til end of next year. We have a thread to pile on Archie already. Don’t need to read it everywhere else. If it’s a separate criticism or specific to a game or player I get it but this multiple threads to rage is just pushing good threads down the page. I know I’m not a mod nor would this board survive me being one but  I’d appreciate if the mods would either merge or lock all the superfluous threads and just keep it to one area.

It can get real depressing rummaging through half a dozen or more bag Archie threads because of this and that just to find something decent to comment on. Pin an Archie thread...not a fire Archie thread but a catch all to complain about his moves him being on the hot seat, recruiting all of it. Doesn’t look good to visitors they come on the board and it’s nothing but fire Archie and how terrible the program is. Ok...said my two cents...sorry to rant.

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

They sure have a funny way of showing it. Talking about kicking in money for the buyout? Over playing recruiting "failures" and lack of player development? 5hat in no way suggests support to me.

As I said I'm concerned too...

Supporting as in thinking he'll get it going and hoping he figures it out are different. 

I think most hope he figures it out, but many have also been seeing the same issues for 4 years so its hard to feel real confident in it, then the Purdue thing is like throwing gas on it. 

50 minutes ago, BDB said:

Archie needs to win and win now.  If others are using negative recruiting against IU and Archie so be it.  Totally out of Archie's control.  If other coaches are using that, and it was me being recruited, it would be a turn off.  I would want to hear about the program you are recruiting for can do for me.  Lastly, there are 3-1/4 years of data and results of Archie while at IU.  To the tops recruits out there, probably doesn't look all that appealing.  Hell, if I was a top 150 recruit and being recruited by IU, I would listen to other programs.  The last 25 years have been brutal.

Well said. I don’t need to hear negativity and why not to go somewhere...you better sell me why YOU will make me better. Why I should go there and not somewhere else.

11 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Still not the same thing as wanting him to fail.

The fans here are saying, "he's failed, time to move on because won't won't fix what's wrong." If he does turn it around, most of these people would be fine with keeping him. They just don't think he will.

On another board a couple of years, a "fan" literally said, "Real IU fans should be rooting for losses." This is wanting him to fail.

You obviously can't understand the very large difference between the two so I'm done responding to you.

Ok, supporting vs not supporting. Put it anyway you want. 

You either support him or you don't. You either support this team or you don't.

And I don't see very much support for him in that thread.

4 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Ok, supporting vs not supporting. Put it anyway you want. 

You either support him or you don't. You either support this team or you don't.

And I don't see very much support for him in that thread.

I will support this team every game and will watch every second of every game.  I will hope they win every game and we turn the season around.   My problem is that I don't see anything to show that it will be turn around.  My #1 choice is for Archie to stay here a longtime and turn the program around.  After 3.5 years he has not shown the capabilities to turn us around

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

I will support this team every game and will watch every second of every game.  I will hope they win every game and we turn the season around.   My problem is that I don't see anything to show that it will be turn around.  My #1 choice is for Archie to stay here a longtime and turn the program around.  After 3.5 years he has not shown the capabilities to turn us around

Yet you were willing to kick in on the buyout?

Look, I understand the frustration. I hate losing to Purdue...absolutely hate it. 

But one game does not make or break a season too often...and that one didn't break ours...

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Look, I understand the frustration. I hate losing to Purdue...absolutely hate it. 

But one game does not make or break a season too often...and that one didn't break ours...

It's not just one game, there is a trend.  And the trend is not good.

25 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Agreed one game doesn’t...but it’s been the same thing with 6 of them so far this year...and a couple sqweekers that we barely held on to win. I want to win as much as anyone on this board...love to see us come March but we are 8-6...even if we go 500 rest of the year we likely not getting into the tournament. We have to do something special just to finish above 500 and be eligible for NIT at this point. Is there even an NIT this year?

Just now, BDB said:

It's not just one game, there is a trend.  And the trend is not good.

We're 8-6, 3-4 in the toughest conference in America, with 1 of those losses coming without our second leading scorer, and another where 2 starting guards had injuries that put them at less than 100%. 

We're not sub .500 and losing to the dregs of the conference. We've been without an important front court piece the whole year, and we've really only been out of one game (Texas).

I can't explain a team that comes in shooting in the 35% range from 3 entering our building and shooting 67%. It's basketball. It happens.

Let's get healthy and see how we play the rest of the season...

8 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Agreed one game doesn’t...but it’s been the same thing with 6 of them so far this year...and a couple sqweekers that we barely held on to win. I want to win as much as anyone on this board...love to see us come March but we are 8-6...even if we go 500 rest of the year we likely not getting into the tournament. We have to do something special just to finish above 500 and be eligible for NIT at this point. Is there even an NIT this year?

I think you and I just put one glass half empty and one glass half full posts up...

😉

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It was a joke since I said $5.00.  You know me because I have been with you all of this time by supporting the coach but this year has not gotten any better from the other seasons.  The Northwestern game was the one that started me to really think this is not going to work.  Then the Purdue game is what made me realize that it probably won't work.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

I also agree with you that things aren't really as bad as they seem. FSU loss in OT, Wisconsin loss in 2OT (where we got robbed), close NW loss that could have gone either way, close Illinois loss that could have gone either way. 

Flip even two of those, especially the two OT ones and we're probably not having as many of these conversations. 

To be fair, that knife cuts both ways. If we drop that 2OT game against PSU and let the NE game slip away like we almost did things look a lot worse. 

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

I think you and I just put one glass half empty and one glass half full posts up...

😉

Does that make a full glass for IU?! Hope so we need something positive to happen. Hopefully Archie can pull some magic the second half of the season and we pull off a few upsets..I really want to see us in the tournament....but I am not going to lie...I could easily see us in the NIT vs UK.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Supporting as in thinking he'll get it going and hoping he figures it out are different. 

I think most hope he figures it out, but many have also been seeing the same issues for 4 years so its hard to feel real confident in it, then the Purdue thing is like throwing gas on it. 

yes, it's kind of like i've seen this movie before!   but hoping it ends differently.

Archived