Indiana is set to hire Georgia defensive backs coach Charlton Warren as its next defensive coordinator.

IU247

11 hours ago, btownqb said:

Our defense has many 3-4 tendencies.  

That's is why I have been loving the 4-2-5 the way CTA's system employs it! 

To expand further on what you said . Favorite thing is how it can morph on the fly into aspects of a 4-3 ,  a 3-4- starting from the 5 back end elements of the Nickel.The disguises are near limitless drawing from more than one base set to expand or collapse into as the play develops. They showed out a lot though with all of the TFLs and INTs. Skillset of the Husky and a pass rush presence really make or break it being more worth running than any of the others it draws from..I'd likely be disappointed to see the talent at Husky fall off but not applicable for now fortunately. 

The versatile, rangy, sideline to sideline kids we have behind the D-line make the 4-2-5 look like an opponent's nightmare when it is being executed properly. Flashed that back when Scales, Covington and co played it but now we are really seeing the fruits of upgrade talented DEPTH.. Our Corners are just scary in general and Im not sure it would matter what they were in .Top notch,  but on the edges of the 4-2-5 it takes a lot of pressure off the LBs having someone always putting pressure on the offensive blockers tasked with locating them.Lol I think it has another level it can gp to and that is pure 4 quarter lights out.Not shy about that belief nor is Allen considering his own words and expectations.Lol 

The kids on the D were forced to play a lot more snaps than they ideally should have, as well so felt they did a great job making the most of a rough situation of little to no sustained run game  providing a more of the ideal rest most of the time. The few occasions the time of possession was working to help it stay fresher through late game it was a finishing defense.

There were voices out there questioning whether the TO rates were sustainable.To anyone paying attention tjat was a matter of developing better hands and finishing those plays off. This D probably dropped or mishandled 2 more potential takeaways per game in 2019 for the record.So I felt like the stats came with the execution improving but particularly with pressure. I think we still fumbled away 3 Balls on an InT so just shows that k7ch more are obvious controllable factors that can be improved to raise the ceiling.I hope ball security is a main priority coaching  point once they go back and evaluate film.For both sides of the ball.

I've enjoyed learning more of the intricacies of the 4-2-5 up to now that Ive saw it fly a bit more  so looking forward to where Warren could possibly take it with recruiting after reading these links. Less concerned with Allen overseeing any hire but especially given his DC background guiding his hand in directing Warren to remain close to CTA's interpretation.

Starting to think this isn't a lateral move, with all due respect and appreciation for Wommack!  Im stoked after initially being a little surprised and completely uninformed at first.

Clear upgrade on the surface amd by all accounts from a perception standpoint, although I lean on trust in Allen most of all to guage the fit for the LEO culture. Added big time SEC and NFL prospect related cred is not a joke in those living rooms( errr , i mean , zoom meetings) where someone has to separate IU from everyone else bringing a strong sell hoping to steal a few kids from the South .  CTA probanly feels good about this if I were a betting man.I sure do! Lol. 

I normally think to myself if a specific move IU makes within either the FB or BB coaching staff helps the overall "sell" look stronger or weaker than the person in the job before. Anyone associated with UGA should kinda gave this one away.I did consider a few of the negatives floating around out there - namely that they allowed historic passing totals against his secondary and some people were not happy about that. He isn't coming to run the DB room though , and again goes back to trust in Allen.

My expectations are do better guardibg against big plays than Wommack's version and hopefully not fall off in any area of strength at worst case.Charlton probably became familiar enough with the types of blended running with downfield attacks that got IU out of sync - while at Air Force.Benefit of the doubt here and mucb optimism until given reasons to feel. otherwise.

However, I just started being aware of the likely move and looking closer thanks to a talk with Leather earlier. 

I may be going against popular opinion here but I don’t love the hire. Allen has been improving this team, so I will have to trust him on this one. I went back and looked at the stats for his Air Force defenses when he was calling plays, and they gave up a ton of points. I get the guy can recruit but we aren’t pulling in 5 stars regardless of who we hire. I worry about the scheme as Warren has normally coached a 3-4. I’m confused because I though Allen wanted someone with experience coaching a 4-2-5? We have to play well schematically to compete in this league since we will lack the talent of the bigger teams in our conference, and I worry about Warren having a learning curve next year. I do hope this works out though. We will have to wait and see next year! 

15 minutes ago, DireBump said:

I may be going against popular opinion here but I don’t love the hire. Allen has been improving this team, so I will have to trust him on this one. I went back and looked at the stats for his Air Force defenses when he was calling plays, and they gave up a ton of points. I get the guy can recruit but we aren’t pulling in 5 stars regardless of who we hire. I worry about the scheme as Warren has normally coached a 3-4. I’m confused because I though Allen wanted someone with experience coaching a 4-2-5? We have to play well schematically to compete in this league since we will lack the talent of the bigger teams in our conference, and I worry about Warren having a learning curve next year. I do hope this works out though. We will have to wait and see next year! 

I'm not a huge fan either, but Allen will still be heavy handed with everything.  He said a while back that he was still sitting in on all defensive meetings.  I think our position coaches are all excellent too.  I am a little worried about Warren coaching LBs, but Allen has some experience with that too.  Jones, Shelby, and Peoples are fantastic position coaches.  I think it should be a pretty smooth transition because we will have Allen, Jones, Peoples, and Shelby who can all keep things rolling smoothly.

Hopefully the rest of the staff can basically be like, here's what we did last year, if you want to change anything, run it by us and we'll talk about it.  Otherwise, just sit back and don't screw things up.  I'm hoping for that as a worst case scenario.  Best case is that Warren learned a lot from being at Tennessee, Florida, and Georgia and has improved a lot since he was at Air Force.

It does seem that Warren will fit in really well with our LEO atmosphere.  He seems like a good guy.

But overall, I'm a little nervous about it too.  We are set up really well for a great season next year, so hopefully he can hit the ground running.

34 minutes ago, DireBump said:

His solo year was really bad as a team, believe they had 9 or 10 losses, however, he was CO-DC prior and produced a good defense 

23 hours ago, DireBump said:

You may be right, but we don’t know.  I do think Allen will heavily be involved if that makes us all feel better.  Allen has the best football mind we’ve had in my lifetime and I was in school when Mallory was here.  

I do like the recruiting though.  

10 hours ago, Hoosierfan1901 said:

Well, to clarify, I don’t think it will be a full on struggle like not doing his job, but rather than him adjusting possibly. I could be wrong though

We understood what you're saying. We're laughing at the bolded type of wordings though. Possibly=you could be wrong.  (All in good fun) 🤣

Tom Allen hasn't given me a reason to doubt his judgement in building his staff yet. I'm not going to start now. 

Either way, Allen is going to have final stamp of approval on the defensive schemes. That's his background. Maybe instead of a "pure" 4-2-5 guy, he wants someone who is familiar with it, but can also bring his own wrinkles to it. Can't ever stop evolving, or else someone is going to pick you apart at some point. 

Archived