Indiana is set to hire Georgia defensive backs coach Charlton Warren as its next defensive coordinator.

IU247

Here's my final whatever on this hire and why I know it's a good one. Ran into my friends who are Dawgs diehards. Asked them about him....they downplayed and said he's alright,etc....

SEC schools hate with a passion any Big 10 school poaching....especially a school like IU who historically isn't in the top 2/3 of league. That did it for me. We have a good one seeing their reaction confirmed it. 

On 1/20/2021 at 10:17 PM, Zlinedavid said:

Tom Allen hasn't given me a reason to doubt his judgement in building his staff yet. I'm not going to start now. 

Either way, Allen is going to have final stamp of approval on the defensive schemes. That's his background. Maybe instead of a "pure" 4-2-5 guy, he wants someone who is familiar with it, but can also bring his own wrinkles to it. Can't ever stop evolving, or else someone is going to pick you apart at some point. 

Well i'm going to ask a couple questions. A lot to like about the hire, let me say that first. No one concerned this guy has coached for 16 years and has never been a DC? A top 10 team couldn't find a already top DC to take the job? Is this Tom Allen giving a guy his shot like he was given, knowing he controls the D anyway? I like the hire just a couple of questions.

Just now, Indykev said:

Well i'm going to ask a couple questions. A lot to like about the hire, let me say that first. No one concerned this guy has coached for 16 years and has never been a DC? A top 10 team couldn't find a already top DC to take the job? Is this Tom Allen giving a guy his shot like he was given, knowing he controls the D anyway? I like the hire just a couple of questions.

I do have some concerns about it, but I would think the DC hierarchy is probably Allen 1A and Warren 1B.  I remember reading a month or so ago that Allen sits in on the defensive meetings and is present for pretty much everything, but let Wommack call plays on game day.  I do question if Warren is a great coach, but I don't think he's a bad coach.  He has worked under some pretty good defensive coaches, so hopefully he can bring in some new ideas that add to the defense.  I would guess most ideas would need to be run by Allen before he will allow them, so I think this hire has a pretty low floor.

11 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He was a DC for six seasons at Air Force, 4 as co-DC, 2 on his own.  I do believe this was more of a recruiting hire, however.  Just my opinion.

14 minutes ago, Indykev said:

He was a Co-DC at Air Force for a couple of years

51 minutes ago, SpiderMonkey said:

He will now be the 8th highest paid DC in the conference.  Still lower half of the BIG.  Kane Wommack was making 460k.  While the pay is definitely better, it is still bottom half of the BIG for Coordinators.

Ok.. but its competitive. 

44 minutes ago, HoosierFaithful said:

It is a tremendously uphill battle to bring this program to the big times. It will take lots of correct decisions to make incremental gains and any mistakes can wipe out 10 correct decisions. But there isn’t any other way to climb the mountain. 

IU athletics will never have the money to compete with the top programs in the conference.  When it comes to coaches salaries we will not have enough revenue that other teams have.  Even if we sell out every football game we will make half what teams like OSU brings in.  That is just ticket revenue and we can't compete in the other areas of revenue.

51 minutes ago, Indykev said:

Thanks for sharing the video!

A few things I had from watching it.

• I think he fits Allen's LEO culture perfectly.  Love how he talked about recruiting and being real and really getting to know kids and make meaningful relationships.  I was never recruited for baseball, but when I walked on to the team in college, it was clear our coaches were feeding lines of BS to everybody.  If you're fake with the kids you recruit and promise playing time, and do other desperate things, it will come back and get you.  We had times on recruiting visits where our current players would talk kids out of coming there because the coaches were that bad.  The coaches would lie to recruits about playing time, and once they got on campus, we had a whole team of pissed off kids.  I think that's part of why there's buy in with Allen.  He's real with them from the moment he meets them, and I think Warren will do the same thing.
  • I enjoyed when he talked about the top down approach and getting positions to understand other positions.  One thing I liked to do when I coached baseball was to have kids play every position.  If you're the shortstop, it can be helpful to practice in the outfield a few times so you can get that perspective on where you need to be for cutoffs, why it is important for them to call off infielders, where they need to be backing plays up, etc.  Same idea in football.  If you're playing DE, it can be helpful to know what things are like from the perspective of the LBs and DBs behind you.  I'm sure a lot of coaches already do that, but I'm glad to hear him specifically talk about it.
  • I like that he mentioned that he'll be able to ask Allen about his insight into LBs and what they need to do with their footwork and their eyesight.  Warren doesn't strike me as someone who has a huge ego who will clash with Allen.  He seems like he'll have no issue working with Allen to get his ideas on things.
  • I feel really good about the day to day stuff with Warren.  He seems like he'll do a really good job of connecting with the players and continuing Allen's vision of the defense.
  • My biggest question mark will be game day.  That was our biggest thing this year.  Our blitz packages were tremendous.  Can we keep calling the right defense at the right time?  I really hope he's ready for that.  If not, all those other good points don't matter nearly as much.

When it comes to coaching linebackers and the nuances of Indiana's defense, there will be a learning curve -- but Tom Allen has successfully navigated that before.

When it comes to culture, recruiting, and overall acumen as a coach, Charlton Warren looks like a home run hire.

21 minutes ago, The Daily Hoosier said:
When it comes to coaching linebackers and the nuances of Indiana's defense, there will be a learning curve -- but Tom Allen has successfully navigated that before.

When it comes to culture, recruiting, and overall acumen as a coach, Charlton Warren looks like a home run hire.

I don't know if I'm quite ready to call it a home run hire only because I'm unsure about his play calling abilities, but I do like the hire more and more all the time.  I know Allen said this season that he was pretty hands off on game day and let Wommack call plays.  Any idea if that will continue or if Allen will be a little more involved this season?  Or maybe someone like Shelby or Jones will be a little more involved with that on game day?

4 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

I don't know if I'm quite ready to call it a home run hire only because I'm unsure about his play calling abilities, but I do like the hire more and more all the time.  I know Allen said this season that he was pretty hands off on game day and let Wommack call plays.  Any idea if that will continue or if Allen will be a little more involved this season?  Or maybe someone like Shelby or Jones will be a little more involved with that on game day?

Allen said he will be more involved now, but not sure how that will extend to game day.  I'm not sure he even knows that yet, but will be a fair question to ask him towards the end of fall camp.

8 hours ago, Leathernecks said:

Thanks for sharing the video!

A few things I had from watching it.

• I think he fits Allen's LEO culture perfectly.  Love how he talked about recruiting and being real and really getting to know kids and make meaningful relationships.  I was never recruited for baseball, but when I walked on to the team in college, it was clear our coaches were feeding lines of BS to everybody.  If you're fake with the kids you recruit and promise playing time, and do other desperate things, it will come back and get you.  We had times on recruiting visits where our current players would talk kids out of coming there because the coaches were that bad.  The coaches would lie to recruits about playing time, and once they got on campus, we had a whole team of pissed off kids.  I think that's part of why there's buy in with Allen.  He's real with them from the moment he meets them, and I think Warren will do the same thing.
  • I enjoyed when he talked about the top down approach and getting positions to understand other positions.  One thing I liked to do when I coached baseball was to have kids play every position.  If you're the shortstop, it can be helpful to practice in the outfield a few times so you can get that perspective on where you need to be for cutoffs, why it is important for them to call off infielders, where they need to be backing plays up, etc.  Same idea in football.  If you're playing DE, it can be helpful to know what things are like from the perspective of the LBs and DBs behind you.  I'm sure a lot of coaches already do that, but I'm glad to hear him specifically talk about it.
  • I like that he mentioned that he'll be able to ask Allen about his insight into LBs and what they need to do with their footwork and their eyesight.  Warren doesn't strike me as someone who has a huge ego who will clash with Allen.  He seems like he'll have no issue working with Allen to get his ideas on things.
  • I feel really good about the day to day stuff with Warren.  He seems like he'll do a really good job of connecting with the players and continuing Allen's vision of the defense.
  • My biggest question mark will be game day.  That was our biggest thing this year.  Our blitz packages were tremendous.  Can we keep calling the right defense at the right time?  I really hope he's ready for that.  If not, all those other good points don't matter nearly as much.

Ifeel a lot better after listening to him. How the D plays is more important to me overall then calling a certain play. Also want to see what kind of talent he can pull in.

Archived