Age/Expectations

13 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But there are now 3 threads questioning where the program is headed and whether people want to stick with CAM. And some here are tired of it and talking about leaving the Board for a while. 

So now you're wanting us to throttle back an honest and, lets not forget, a Cival debate about the program we all feel so deeply about?

You sound like Jack Dorsey...

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

52. Vaguely remmeber watching 75' and 76' teams with Dad. I was full bore with Isiah and 81'. I was on Kirkwood for the 87' celebration. Great up 1/2 mile from CBK. The only time I ever missed a game, let alone a season was when we hired Sampson. I totally checked out, I don't like scum. 

I liked the CAM hire, I am still behind him both as a person and as IU coach. I will still be team CAM until after the end of next season. Then I will measure, do my +/- of having him or not having him.

He has the power to make the +'s greater than the -'s.

Work wicked magic to make TJD come back. Get a Ne'orleans voodoo Dr (or a really hard stick!!)  to fix free throws, 3 pt shooting and 2' missed bunnies. FIs all of those 3 things by 10% and we should be extremely good.  

13 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

Feel free to delete this one.  I thought this was a total different discussion.  Sorry

I think he just doesn't want a lot of new threads open up.  That is what I like about this board is that people just don't start a new thread on every thought.  I know on game threads we only have one opened up and is easy to follow. I know other sites where on game day people will open up a thread on any thought that comes into their heads.

Im 47....IU basketball was a religion in my childhood home growing up...RMK was king..I had really high hopes for CAM but those hopes are starting to diminish with each passing game....RMK was once asked in an interview back in the 80's if he could survive losing at IU and he said "the University and the people of Indiana, the basketball atmosphere in this state would not permit you to lose and survive"...that still holds true today from the people. 

4 minutes ago, HoosierJax said:

Im 47....IU basketball was a religion in my childhood home growing up...RMK was king..I had really high hopes for CAM but those hopes are starting to diminish with each passing game....RMK was once asked in an interview back in the 80's if he could survive losing at IU and he said "the University and the people of Indiana, the basketball atmosphere in this state would not permit you to lose and survive"...that still holds true today from the people. 

Indeed!!! Winning cures and hides a lot of things.  

•SWM (actually married shhh)

•Eleventy-two y/o

•Like hot wings n things w my beer. Not an alky, just like to enjoy a drink or three w my buds.

•I like to play dumb a lot so I don’t have to do much so don’t ask.

I have to go now, my wife’s looking at me weird and her favorite show is ‘Snapped’... 

I am 44. The 1986-87 championship season was the first season I really started following the team on a game-by-game basis. By the time I arrived in Bloomington for my freshman year in fall 1994 I had become accustomed to a high level of expectations even having missed a good portion of the glory days of RMK's tenure. At that time I could not imagine IU slipping into the realm we have operated in for 20+ years now.

I liked the CAM hire. It has not unfolded as I would have expected to this point. Hope it works out but my apathy runs deep now. I want to believe. Give me something to chew on, get that belief in motion. Crean has some teams that gave me those old feelings and it was awesome. But yeah the inconsistency killed the vibe. 

All things being considered I don't ever expect to see IU basketball back at the level I remember growing up. I hope I am wrong in that assessment.

I'm 55.  Started to lose a little bit of faith in Archie last season, even though we were a tournament team.  Thought this year had a chance to be better though.  And, if before the season you told me TJD would be putting up All-American level numbers, I would have thought things were going great.  I have nothing against Archie, but I now do not think he can get us where I want us to be.  And, I'm not demanding Championships.  Just good basketball, winning games we should win, and a team that improves over time.  

My 16 year old son was off the Archie bandwagon 2 years ago.  Part of it with him is the teams just are not exciting to watch.  At all.  His first memories are the Zeller teams.

In regards to the 'negativity' some think is going on.  I don't get it.  This is a message board where everyone should feel free to post their thoughts and opinions as long as those thoughts and opinions stay within the rules of the board.  I have seen nothing overtly out of bounds since the Purdue loss, so I have no idea what people are concerned about.  Expecting everyone to remain positive 100% of the time is not only unrealistic, it's actually selfish if you feel the board should always be in agreement with your personal views.

Will be 42 soon...I’ve seen enough to know if Archie doesn’t turn this around quickly he won’t get a second contract. I’m supportive of him through next year but he has to get better guard play. Improved shooting or it won’t matter. Like to see this team next year with Stewart and Leal/Hunter/Lander/Galloway more experienced. Maybe see who pops in 22 and see where this thing is headed. Disappointed for sure though at this point.

I will be 53 Cinco de Mayo. It’s no secret that I’m an optimist with most things, but that wears off with time. I was an optimist about Knight longer than I should have. It broke my heart to finally admit that (at that time) Knight needed to go. Fast forward to Miller. I was excited about the hire because of some refreshing “Knight coaching” characteristics.  I have continued to be my optimistic self, but it’s been waning a bit lately. Coach Miller needs to right this ship before it gets too hot. I have faith in his ability. I keep waiting for his “Dayton model” and it’s success here at IU. I’m still patiently waiting, but becoming more and more impatient. 

72, but don't post here all that often though I do enjoy the site. Was on campus for one semester in the spring of '76. I don't really have an opinion on Miller because his performance will determine his fate. I've been watching or listening to IU basketball since the mid '50s. Been through too much at this point to live or die based on the results of a basketball game.

35 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I'm 55.  Started to lose a little bit of faith in Archie last season, even though we were a tournament team.  Thought this year had a chance to be better though.  And, if before the season you told me TJD would be putting up All-American level numbers, I would have thought things were going great.  I have nothing against Archie, but I now do not think he can get us where I want us to be.  And, I'm not demanding Championships.  Just good basketball, winning games we should win, and a team that improves over time.  

My 16 year old son was off the Archie bandwagon 2 years ago.  Part of it with him is the teams just are not exciting to watch.  At all.  His first memories are the Zeller teams.

In regards to the 'negativity' some think is going on.  I don't get it.  This is a message board where everyone should feel free to post their thoughts and opinions as long as those thoughts and opinions stay within the rules of the board.  I have seen nothing overtly out of bounds since the Purdue loss, so I have no idea what people are concerned about.  Expecting everyone to remain positive 100% of the time is not only unrealistic, it's actually selfish if you feel the board should always be in agreement with your personal views.

Kinda agree with you, but when all it is, is negative... then it becomes less that there are fair minded posters, and more like there’s an agenda.

Nothing is ever 100% one way or another, when things are going great, there are still things to work on, when things are bad, there are still positives.   These last few days, it seems like people have forgotten anything positive that CAM has done for or with the program.

3 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Kinda agree with you, but when all it is, is negative... then it becomes less that there are fair minded posters, and more like there’s an agenda.

Nothing is ever 100% one way or another, when things are going great, there are still things to work on, when things are bad, there are still positives.   These last few days, it seems like people have forgotten anything positive that CAM has done for or with the program.

It's mostly negative right now because there is very little positive to talk about.  That said, I'm going to start a positive thread.  It will be interesting to see how many of those that have expressed concern about the negativity will participate.  

54 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Share the positives.  I like that Indiana kids are coming back to Indiana. 

6 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

I would love to see the age of some posters on here.  I’m guessing most of the younger posters 35 and under are still on board with Archie.  Not all but more posters that are older are the ones who are frustrated and ready for a coaching change.  Could be wrong, just more curious than anything.

He will get 5.  Based on what I have seen so far, he doesn't deserve it...but he will get a fifth year.

Archived