Age/Expectations

On 1/18/2021 at 3:12 PM, IUwins0708 said:

I would love to see the age of some posters on here.  I’m guessing most of the younger posters 35 and under are still on board with Archie.  Not all but more posters that are older are the ones who are frustrated and ready for a coaching change.  Could be wrong, just more curious than anything.

I always assumed the opposite...that the "kids" were the impatient ones. 😂😂😂

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 hours ago, BGleas said:

What don't you like about his personality? 

A perfect example was in the press conference towards the end he leaned back in his seat like he didn’t wanna be there. I mean you won that should be the only time you actually want to be around the media. Also he kept interrupting people. Also, when a big shot is made there is no excitement or joy for his kids on the team. This day in age kids need that they just do. Kids are more sensitive than ever. 

6 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

A perfect example was in the press conference towards the end he leaned back in his seat like he didn’t wanna be there. I mean you won that should be the only time you actually want to be around the media. Also he kept interrupting people. Also, when a big shot is made there is no excitement or joy for his kids on the team. This day in age kids need that they just do. Kids are more sensitive than ever. 

Are you saying Archie should be jumping up and down after a big shot it that our bench don't get excited.  I don't want my coach being a cheerleader because he had to worry be about the next possession

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Are you saying Archie should be jumping up and down after a big shot it that our bench don't get excited.  I don't want my coach being a cheerleader because he had to worry be about the next possession

No I’m just saying show a little emotion that shows the kids you care about their success. Even on a game winning shot he is a complete mummy. 

16 hours ago, BGleas said:

What don't you like about his personality? 

I know I said this before, but my dad and some of my friends who still live in IN think he is very arrogant and smug.  I am not convinced.  My dad bases it off going to a lot of games a couple years ago and how he interacted with people on the sidelines before and during games.  I personally don't think you can judge that about  guy on game day, but there are definitely some who feel that way.  I really don't care.   

11 hours ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

This is the kind of post I just don't get. 

I don't want a PR guy or a cheerleader, I want a basketball coach. The rest is just fluff...

I've watched 2 of the more successful coaches in basketball, Bennett and Wright, and I've never seen either one overly emotional on the sidelines. I've seen Izzo get that way, but never in a positive manner...

Quit looking for little crap on the guy and judge him by his team...

2 hours ago, IUFLA said:

This is the kind of post I just don't get. 

I don't want a PR guy or a cheerleader, I want a basketball coach. The rest is just fluff...

I've watched 2 of the more successful coaches in basketball, Bennett and Wright, and I've never seen either one overly emotional on the sidelines. I've seen Izzo get that way, but never in a positive manner...

Quit looking for little crap on the guy and judge him by his team...

If you look at all of my other posts I am team CAM and have defended him through and through. You can’t tell me Tom Allen will not get recruits because of his personality. That fluff you talk about will help us get recruits and get people off of his back. If we are judging him by his team they haven’t succeeded and the people that are against him have arguments. I’m a basketball coach and I am the first that will tell anyone kids don’t listen no matter how many times you tell them and those are typically the teams that fail. The teams that buy in are the ones who actually listen to what the coach is preaching. 

44 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

If we are judging him by his team they haven’t succeeded

That depends on the yardstick. His team won 20 games last year. They would have made the tournament. That's not exactly failing to me or anyone else looking at it objectively.

46 minutes ago, IUfaninIllinois said:

I’m a basketball coach and I am the first that will tell anyone kids don’t listen no matter how many times you tell them and those are typically the teams that fail. The teams that buy in are the ones who actually listen to what the coach is preaching. 

I know a lot about leadership and putting together teams.

The last thing any kid or any person for that matter wants is someone who is a phony. It comes out. A coach or any leader has to be true to himself.

Archie is who he is. When I hear the kids talk about Archie, there's a lot of respect there. 

Again, they don't want a cheerleader or a PR guy. They want someone who can coach them up. Put them in a situation where they can succeed.

That's true with any team...

I’m 35 and was lucky enough to attend and graduate from IU (2004-2009.) I guess for me growing up in a family of all IU alums and fans I’ve had high expectations but they’ve took a nose dive in the past decade. 
Long story but my grandparents on my dads side plus my parents were all at IU for 4-7 years depending on law school and got to see 1953, 1976, and many other good seasons when only one conference team made the tourney. I was unfortunate enough to see Mike Davis, Sampson, Dak, and Crean so I never saw anything like they did or anyone else in my family. 
So with that all said I don’t have high expectations I just wish we could complete every year in the conference and start making runs in the tournament not a title every year or anything like that, but just maybe some deep runs in a ten year period. I guess with each hire I become more and more frustrated when we just can’t even seem to get back to a Mike Davis level. I attended my first game when I was 2 and had season tickets through my time there and even for a period after I graduated using my student ID haha probably illegal but I’ll never stop cheering or repping IU ever regardless so I just wish we could get back to a somewhat winning place. 
Sorry to all on here for the long post but I just wanted to explain why it’s so frustrating to not be consistent or winning at all this far into Archie’s tenure. Plus being from the Louisville area it doesn’t help having everyone be a Cayut, Card or Toiletmaker fan. 
-Evan 

24 minutes ago, Indiana8585 said:

I’m 35 and was lucky enough to attend and graduate from IU (2004-2009.) I guess for me growing up in a family of all IU alums and fans I’ve had high expectations but they’ve took a nose dive in the past decade. 
Long story but my grandparents on my dads side plus my parents were all at IU for 4-7 years depending on law school and got to see 1953, 1976, and many other good seasons when only one conference team made the tourney. I was unfortunate enough to see Mike Davis, Sampson, Dak, and Crean so I never saw anything like they did or anyone else in my family. 
So with that all said I don’t have high expectations I just wish we could complete every year in the conference and start making runs in the tournament not a title every year or anything like that, but just maybe some deep runs in a ten year period. I guess with each hire I become more and more frustrated when we just can’t even seem to get back to a Mike Davis level. I attended my first game when I was 2 and had season tickets through my time there and even for a period after I graduated using my student ID haha probably illegal but I’ll never stop cheering or repping IU ever regardless so I just wish we could get back to a somewhat winning place. 
Sorry to all on here for the long post but I just wanted to explain why it’s so frustrating to not be consistent or winning at all this far into Archie’s tenure. Plus being from the Louisville area it doesn’t help having everyone be a Cayut, Card or Toiletmaker fan. 
-Evan 

Hang in there, it is coming...

Archived