Age/Expectations

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

That one is still hard to swallow. And it’s not that we lost it’s how we didn’t play with any emotion on the most emotional day for an IU fan in 20 years I would say. Plus that place was packed and ready to explode

I remember I yelled at the TV, "Archie, you can lose 10 straight games, but not THIS game, bro!"

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am 50 ears old and was supporting Archi until this year. I will still support Archie and the team and will watch every game.  I have lost my faith that Archie will ever turn the program around.

I actually think I have been trying to fool myself thinking that IU being good is not all that important.  I say in the long run how is IU being great again going to change anything.  In the long run IU winning championships isn't important in the big scheme of your life but it does make the seasons way more enjoyable.

Actually I always use to think the opposite was that the younger crowd was the ones that were impatient.  I thought they were more of the win at any cost crowd and doesn't care how you win.  I thought the older crowd new that IU won the right way and did not ever want IU to stoop down and be like UK or any other programs that cheat.

Is that 50 ears in ears of corn age?

17 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

That one is still hard to swallow. And it’s not that we lost it’s how we didn’t play with any emotion on the most emotional day for an IU fan in 20 years I would say. Plus that place was packed and ready to explode

It was the game that convinced me Archie Miller can't handle this program or coaching at this level. Just completely out of his league and nothing he can do about it. 

I am 66 years old and have been rooting for the Hoosiers since the mid 60's. I was totally in favor of Archie when he was hired but after 4 years I believe he is not the guy. Absolutely no improvement in the on court performance, recruiting is dropping off, no emotion or mental toughness by the players and a god awful offense. It really doesn't matter to me if he stays another year or not because I am totally convinced the results will be the same. If it walks like a duck and quacks like a duck it is probably a duck. 

We are paying big money to a coach who has led us to the bottom of the big 10. 

I’m 27. Freshman year was Cody Zeller’s freshman year so I got 2 years of experiencing IU in the conversation. I was at the Watshot, I was at the Oladipo missed dunk against Michigan, and I was at the IU UNC game where we won by 30. Some very fond memories, but I’m also not used to IU being a blue blood in the way a lot of you guys are. Until the Purdue game I was a strong Archie supporter. I’m still in his corner but I’m definitely starting to get impatient. If year 5 is a disaster then I’m happy to move on, but I really want things to work out with him as our coach. 

2 minutes ago, OGIUAndy said:

I'm 47 and obviously frustrated but not ready to pull the plug on this team or Archie. Sorry to disappoint. Seems like it's getting ugly on here, so for the time being, I will not be visiting this site. Go Hoosiers!! 

If you think what you see on this site is bad and don't want to be here but this site is so tame compared to other media sites.

I’m in my early 50s and from Indiana although I live a state over now.  I love IU basketball and have since 1975.   As an adult it’s a way to bind me to my home state and school.   

I’ve enjoyed three national championships and countless other wonderful memories.  I want us to return to what we were but the university hasn’t made it a priority as discussed ad nauseum. At some point you become a sucker for wanting something more than the school does.  I, along with the fan base, has dialed back.  

In the end, I enjoyed the three titles and love the memories.  I’m ok with it, and have accepted it in recent years, that we might not ever win a title again.  I can live with it because  I’ve experienced the three and most schools don’t have any.  And for one, I was a student.  How many people are a student when your school wins the title?  Nobody can take that away from me. Three titles is a lot.  

38. Was not yet five years old, and living in Texas, when we won our last banner. I have faint memories of the Cheaney years, but mostly knew of Knight as bully, after he lost his fastball. I didn't become a die-hard fan until I stepped foot on campus, and was a freshman for the Final Four run. That was great! But that year, the Zeller teams, and Yogi's senior are the only Big Ten championships and Sweet Sixteens I can remember as a fan. 

I enjoyed the Crean years more than most, probably because that five year stretch was the best I'd experienced. When he was let go, I was excited to see what a better coach could do to elevate the program, after Crean had brought it from the ashes. I never once thought we were in a rebuild, so after years of being told Crean was mediocre, I was curious to see if that sentiment was correct and someone new would take our program to the next level.

Then Indiana State happened. Then, after everyone was so mad about Cream losing in overtime at Fort Wayne, we were blown out at Assembly Hall. All those forum posters telling me we had our next HOF coach started looking unreliable at best, so I waited for Archie to show me something.

Here in year four, I'm still waiting. We fired Crean because his highs weren't high enough, and lows were too low. Every year since, we've essentially had one of those low seasons. The product isn't enjoyable to watch, and doesn't win enough to make up for that. Archie isn't selling me on the product either. His speech and body language at all times suggests that coaching this program is an annoyance. Maybe this reflects my age as much as anything, but I didn't grow up with Knight, and have no desire for someone like that to be my coach. I want someone with charisma, to bring in recruits and to make me feel good about the program especially when the wins have yet to come.Everything and everyone around this program feels so joyless with Archie at the helm.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If you think what you see on this site is bad and don't want to be here but this site is so tame compared to other media sites.

Yeah was a little confused myself by his comments.  Not trying to start another debate, I just get a kick out of the different generations and their thoughts is all.

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

Yeah was a little confused myself by his comments.  Not trying to start another debate, I just get a kick out of the different generations and their thoughts is all.

He should go to rivals and see how they rip posters and make it personal.  I now see how bad people are on Facebook and it is not even close on here.  People might disagree and people are upset with the coach but I have not seen one person making it personal towards him.

1 minute ago, IU Scott said:

He should go to rivals and see how they rip posters and make it personal.  I now see how bad people are on Facebook and it is not even close on here.  People might disagree and people are upset with the coach but I have not seen one person making it personal towards him.

Well I did bring up some of his issues in a recruiting thread.  I’m still hoping, as most are, that he somehow turns this around.

43 minutes ago, southsidehoosier said:

One of my most vivid  memories was crying myself to sleep at age 7 after IU lost their only B1G game to Ohio State in 92 or 93

I'm 49 and cried myself to sleep too. It was the 92-93 season....the dreaded Henderson injury that derailed what would have likely been banner #6.  I support CAM's continued position as our head coach.  It has been frustrating, for sure, but I have come to the conclusion that we shouldn't place too much into this year. COVID can effect teams in all sorts of different ways, and it is hard to not at least chalk up some of the bad this season to this. If we are safely in the tourney next year and make at least the S16, then things look good.  Otherwise....

39.  I’m ready to move on if things don’t improve by the end of the year. Things improve he gets 1 more. Because of the length of his contract, it’s either an extension or moving on after next season. I think the answer to all our questions on Archie will be answered at the end of the season. A educated decision can be made at that time. If things do t improve by April, then move on or Indiana doesn’t care about winning. 

40 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m in my early 50s and from Indiana although I live a state over now.  I love IU basketball and have since 1975.   As an adult it’s a way to bind me to my home state and school.   

I’ve enjoyed three national championships and countless other wonderful memories.  I want us to return to what we were but the university hasn’t made it a priority as discussed ad nauseum. At some point you become a sucker for wanting something more than the school does.  I, along with the fan base, has dialed back.  

In the end, I enjoyed the three titles and love the memories.  I’m ok with it, and have accepted it in recent years, that we might not ever win a title again.  I can live with it because  I’ve experienced the three and most schools don’t have any.  And for one, I was a student.  How many people are a student when your school wins the title?  Nobody can take that away from me. Three titles is a lot.  

Yep we must’ve both been at IU in ‘87. What a blast that was 

We’ve let this thread stay up, it’s an interesting age point.

But there are now 3 threads questioning where the program is headed and whether people want to stick with CAM. And some here are tired of it and talking about leaving the Board for a while. 

So guys, enough threads criticizing and complaining about the program. Thanks 

I'm 43. I vaguely remember the '87 NC, as I wasn't really much into sports at that point so only kind of followed. My favorite IU teams were the ones in the early '90s.

I'm still undecided whether or not Miller can get it done but I'm a very heavily lean towards no. I really hope he does figure it out and turn it around, though. I don't want another coaching change for a few reasons. The obvious is that it would suck to start over with a new coach and have to wait a few more years to see if they are the answer. Another reason is that I just have no confidence at this point in the administration to select a good coach. Davis, Sampson, and Crean were all "wtf?" coaching announcements to me. The Miller announcement was more understandable but also underwhelming. I think this time we'd end up with Alford, who I absolutely don't want. 

Archived