Armaan Franklin's Improvement

5fouls

A significant bright spot on the season has been the improvement of Armaan Franklin.  Check the link below to see just how significant it is.

Armaan Franklin College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

I, for one, did not see it coming.  I though he would be fighting for minutes in a crowded backcourt, and even thought he might be the odd man out.  He obviously has put in a lot of work, and just goes to show how the number of stars by your name coming out of high school do not limit you as a player.  

This is the type of improvement you want to see with a 'get old, stay old' philosophy.  With a similar leap in performance next season, Armaan begins to enter the conversation as being potentially an all-conference performer.

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Franklin's leap has been so fun to watch, especially on a team that so desperately needed a perimeter player to be aggressive and make plays. He's got every tool in his tool box that you could want, he just now has to continue to refine them and as he gets more experience add some play-making to his arsenal. 

Completely agree Fouls, Franklin is the epitome of a player you hope to develop as a 4-year guy and build as part of your core. As down as I am with our record currently and especially the Purdue loss, I would love to see Archie get this going and have the opportunity to coach a senior Franklin and juniors Galloway, Leal and Lander all together. 

Completely agree with BG and Fouls.  Armaan Franklin was kind of an after thought toward the end of last year.  But after hearing how he spent his own time constantly working on his shooting and game tells you alot about how he felt the season ended.  If the rest of the team would follow suit and practice and play with his confidence and intensity, this team wouldn't be struggling at all this year.

Outstanding improvement, exactly what you want to see. He’s turning into an excellent all-around player right before our eyes.
CAM though has to balance the offense better, he should not have AF, again, be taking 15 shots to get 14 points. Think we’ll continue to see Franklin’s game grow, adding more playmaking to go with the scoring, he will actually excel better if not overused offensively 

8 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Outstanding improvement, exactly what you want to see. He’s turning into an excellent all-around player right before our eyes.
CAM though has to balance the offense better, he should not have AF, again, be taking 15 shots to get 14 points. Think we’ll continue to see Franklin’s game grow, adding more playmaking to go with the scoring, he will actually excel better if not overused offensively 

Yes, he took 15 shots to score 14 points against Purdue.  But, as noted, he was a little rusty coming off the injury.  Against Illinois, he scored 23 points on just 12 shots.  So, he has peaks and valleys just like every player.  Heck, I'm sure Steve Alford had a game or two in his career where it took him 15 shots to score 14 points.

The thing I like most about Armaan is that he truly seems to give a damn all the time.  I can't say I see that from some of the other players on the team.  

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Yes, he took 15 shots to score 14 points against Purdue.  But, as noted, he was a little rusty coming off the injury.  Against Illinois, he scored 23 points on just 12 shots.  So, he has peaks and valleys just like every player.  Heck, I'm sure Steve Alford had a game or two in his career where it took him 15 shots to score 14 points.

The thing I like most about Armaan is that he truly seems to give a damn all the time.  I can't say I see that from some of the other players on the team.  

Yeah AF hustles and is excited to be playing.  Compare that RP and TJD, who seem to legit not enjoy playing basketball.  It is night and day.  If TJD and Rob played with the same heart, hustle and grit, this team would be freaking dangerous

I edited your hysterical 15 sh&ts to shots. 
I’m such a negative guy. Franklin’s usage shouldn’t be questioned at all. I’m despicable. 😁 it was not the first time though, and it was exactly the wrong approach against PU, right after Hunter and Leal had more emphasis and helped spread our offense, the second AF was back we went right back to a very limited offense. Not AF’s fault. He’s a very capable scorer, but there’s a reason we failed to put points o the board yet again. Immediately defending as if that’s an attack on Franklin misses the point.

But absolutely, AF is one of the only guys who seems full boar into the game. His energy, relentless attacking play and strong D are great to watch, and I think his ceiling is still up there 

17 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

He was a little rusty against Purdue, but his desire to compete/win during that game was evident.  

Yes he looked like early season Armaan. His jumper wasn’t close at all. That said his defense was admirable. He just didn’t have his legs in his shot. Hope this week off does him well to get him back in form.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I’m such a negative guy. Franklin’s usage shouldn’t be questioned at all. I’m despicable. 😁 it was not the first time though, and it was exactly the wrong approach against PU, right after Hunter and Leal had more emphasis and helped spread our offense, the second AF was back we went right back to a very limited offense. Not AF’s fault. He’s a very capable scorer, but there’s a reason we failed to put points o the board yet again. Immediately defending as if that’s an attack on Franklin misses the point.

Agree his efficiency has been up and down...some reason though when Franklin has asserted himself Al and Rob disappear. Also when Rob came off the bench he had one of his best games ever....not sure I understand our backcourt at all.

Just now, dgambill said:

Agree his efficiency has been up and down...some reason though when Franklin has asserted himself Al and Rob disappear. Also when Rob came off the bench he had one of his best games ever....not sure I understand our backcourt at all.

Robs best game also came against PSU who defended the 3 line worst than we do.  Rob, Al and Leal had their way with them with 9 seconds to set their feet and then take a wide opens shot.  RP is just not a leader or scorer.  He is a good defender but he doesn't have the alpha male mentality to be good.  He has the skills, we have seen it,  but he looks about as interested in basketball as a [insert metaphor here]

4 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Our backcourt is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. 😁

I’m trying my best to turn Fouls’ valiant effort at a positive thread negative. Haha kidding. I bet we see AF’s efficiency continue to improve, he’s solid all around, but I do think both he and the team will benefit from diversifying the offense. Spreading the floor will help his game.

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Our backcourt is a mystery wrapped in an enigma. 😁

I’m trying my best to turn Fouls’ valiant effort at a positive thread negative. Haha kidding. I bet we see AF’s efficiency continue to improve, he’s solid all around, but I do think both he and the team will benefit from diversifying the offense. Spreading the floor will help his game.

We see this one a little different. I'm all for Hunter and Leal getting open 3's, sign me up for that, but outside of the Purdue game I haven't watched Franklin this year and thought he was forcing things that weren't there, etc., or being fed the ball outside the flow of the offense. Frankly, I've watched him and thought, "thank god someone on the perimeter has the stones to make some plays."

He did force things in the Purdue game though, as that can be normal after a layoff, and I agree Archie should have reigned that in a bit. 

5 minutes ago, Feathery said:

You could see he had this potential in high school. Glad it’s coming to fruition. Whoever he worked with this past off-season needs to work with the rest of the guards this off-season. 😁

Yeah, he really can do it all. He's can get to the basket, he's got the mid-range pull up, and now through what seems like hard work he's a 40% 3pt shooter, and add to it he's a + defender as well. 

Franklin has a bright future. 

1 hour ago, 5fouls said:

A significant bright spot on the season has been the improvement of Armaan Franklin.  Check the link below to see just how significant it is.

Armaan Franklin College Stats | College Basketball at Sports-Reference.com (sports-reference.com)

I, for one, did not see it coming.  I though he would be fighting for minutes in a crowded backcourt, and even thought he might be the odd man out.  He obviously has put in a lot of work, and just goes to show how the number of stars by your name coming out of high school do not limit you as a player.  

This is the type of improvement you want to see with a 'get old, stay old' philosophy.  With a similar leap in performance next season, Armaan begins to enter the conversation as being potentially an all-conference performer.

What I like about Franklin is he can score from all 3 levels.  He can hit the 3 and he also has a good pull up jumper ad well

50 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

At least Franklin was agresssive and showed confidence in his offense unlike our other guards.  

I am very pleasantly surprised with Franklin.  I didn't see this coming at all, and honestly thought after one good game people were getting too excited.  That said, he definitely seems to be our most consistent guard and also leads us in steals.  I still contend that it's tough if we're expecting him to carry us.  If Lander could develop to the electric PG distributor that I hoped he'd be this year next year, they could be a tough duo.  

I loved getting the commitment of AF. I know that myself and @RoadToZion were higher than most and I expected him to become a fan favorite.  Just watching him in high school he had that something that you can't put your finger quite on but you know it when you see it. I am so happy for him to have this success because he has worked hard to get here. Excellent player and even better young man. Represents our university well.. very high ceiling and I expect him to keep trending upward. 

9 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

But absolutely, AF is one of the only guys who seems full boar into the game. His energy, relentless attacking play and strong D are great to watch, and I think his ceiling is still up there 

So, it might be (100% completely is) lacking a little on the defense side, what would a line up of Rob, Franklin, Leal, Hunter and TJD look like?  I think that would allow us to spread the floor or at least give us the best chance.  I dont think teams could double and tripple team TJD with those guys on the floor or if they did i think those guys can hit kick out 3's.  It would also hopefully help keep Race AND TJD from getting in foul trouble at the same time. 

I would like to see Lander running pick and rolls with TJD in that lineup personally but i dont think thats going to, nor should it happen any time soon.

Archived