Armaan Franklin's Improvement

5fouls

• Replies 75
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There were times earlier this season when I cringed watching AF shoot, and in fact I think I posted in one game thread that he should never shoot, based on what I was seeing at that time. Boy, was I wrong. Cannot be happier for the kid. Something had to have happened....a light switch turned, hard work finally rewarded, and maybe, just maybe, confidence was instilled by his coaches to encourage him to keep shooting. It's amazing how much the metal/psychological aspects affect the physical performance.

Great for Armaan, and if not for this season, hopefully he can be a poster boy for future Hoosiers on how to improve your game.

1 hour ago, Billingsley99 said:

I loved getting the commitment of AF. I know that myself and @RoadToZion were higher than most and I expected him to become a fan favorite.  Just watching him in high school he had that something that you can't put your finger quite on but you know it when you see it. I am so happy for him to have this success because he has worked hard to get here. Excellent player and even better young man. Represents our university well.. very high ceiling and I expect him to keep trending upward. 

I knew Armaan was going to be a baller. Just a matter of time. He works harder than anyone at it too. 

Here’s to hoping this team figures it out and we can enjoy a full 4 years of Armaan. Great player, great kid. 

2 hours ago, 3Ballin said:

So, it might be (100% completely is) lacking a little on the defense side, what would a line up of Rob, Franklin, Leal, Hunter and TJD look like?  I think that would allow us to spread the floor or at least give us the best chance.  I dont think teams could double and tripple team TJD with those guys on the floor or if they did i think those guys can hit kick out 3's.  It would also hopefully help keep Race AND TJD from getting in foul trouble at the same time. 

I would like to see Lander running pick and rolls with TJD in that lineup personally but i dont think thats going to, nor should it happen any time soon.

I like it, as a small ball lineup to spread the floor. We’re really missing Brunk, to back up TJD or Race, and to bring some of that fire the team seems to be missing. 

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Steuben, i don't know why but every time you post something, i immediately want to contradict you.  I thought your post was great right up until you tried to give CAM credit for all the work that AF has done. 

I did not give CAM credit, but I did say that I thought he might have done something to instill confidence. 

24 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Meh, the articles i read are that he worked his tail off in the off season at home while in quarantine.  He upped his skills and gave himself confidence.  He gave himself the confidence he needs by making shots.  Its amazing when shots go down how you think they will always go down.  The rest of our team didn't get any better at shooting or FT or anything offensively this year.  So, forgive me if i don't give the coaching staff credit for what Franklin did on his own.

4 game stretch early in the year for Armaan...

Florida St--3-11

Stanford--4-13

Texas--3-11

Providence--4-9

You could possibly be correct, that this is all on Armaan. However I don't see how it isn't at least plausible that after those four games, the coaches didn't say or do something to boost his confidence--maybe telling him to keep shooting as an example.

At any rate, regardless of the cause, Armaan's shooting has taken off since that 4 game stretch, and that was the gist of this thread and the point of my post...that the kid has really improved.

Armaan's game logs for this year

Franklin.thumb.PNG.6097c111c4252619d2236021db36ace3.PNG

I said in another thread, Armaan was blossoming into quite a player...His injury could not have come at a worse time for him, or us...

If we're talking about player development, it's a whole picture. Sure, the kid himself is the most important part of the equation, but the staff, including Archie and Clif Marshall, have to be given some credit.

You people with the anti-Archie agenda can't have it both ways...

You know what would be nice?  To see Lander and Leal grow up these next 6 weeks.  If Leal is your friend, classmate, and teammate, maybe even roommate, how is his work ethic not rubbing off?  I appreciate that the leaks are few and far between but I wouldn't mind hearing about these dudes putting in crazy reps, besides the 500 makes.  That story came out in high school.  Every March we hear coaches say, these guys aren't freshman anymore.  We need some in season leaps.  

Franklin is definitely the brightest spot this season. We would've been a much better team if we had another guard that has had a noticeable improvement. Al and Rob just can't get it done. Considering the amount of playing time they had so far in their careers, it's been quite underwhelming. I don't know about other fans here, but I personally view playing time as 'investment'; it's like money. Archie's ROI on guards has been pretty bad. 

1 hour ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Meh, the articles i read are that he worked his tail off in the off season at home while in quarantine.  He upped his skills and gave himself confidence.  He gave himself the confidence he needs by making shots.  Its amazing when shots go down how you think they will always go down.  The rest of our team didn't get any better at shooting or FT or anything offensively this year.  So, forgive me if i don't give the coaching staff credit for what Franklin did on his own.

I agree to a point.  It is probably somewhere in the middle though.  College coaches are definitely going to give kids goals and workouts/expectations to reach those goals.  Did CAM help guide AF to what he needed to be doing and how to get to those goals?  Probably.  AF had to make the decision to commit that time and effort though, and he did.  Right?

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't have an anti CAM agenda.  I give credit where credit is due and i don't think it was CAM who helped AF become a better shooter.  From the articles i read, he worked his tail off in the off season while in quarantine.  Give the kid credit.  He worked his butt off. 

And AF's numbers are bad against FSU and Texas in the first 4 games, because they have great defense and we sucked against them.  Since then, he has played really well.  I give AF all the credit in the world for working on his game and exploding on the IU scene.  I just don't think its fair to take that away from him and give to the CAM.  

Just my opinion and it has absolutely nothing to do with how i feel about CAM. 

If you want to talk about how he has become better as a defender from last year, yup, i absolutely think CAM has had an impact on not just him but all of the starters, who are much better than last year on the defensive end.  

Maybe I'm missing something or there's a disconnect...

Can someone kindly explain how a head coach, or any coach on the staff, "helps" someone become a better shooter? Rebound for them and say, "That's good!" every once in a while?

Seriously...I understand suggestions can be made about form, but shooting takes...

Form, confidence, and repetition...

Jesus Christ you guys act like Archie can climb into their skin and do it for them...

6 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I don't have an anti CAM agenda.  I give credit where credit is due and i don't think it was CAM who helped AF become a better shooter.  From the articles i read, he worked his tail off in the off season while in quarantine.  Give the kid credit.  He worked his butt off. 

And AF's numbers are bad against FSU and Texas in the first 4 games, because they have great defense and we sucked against them.  Since then, he has played really well.  I give AF all the credit in the world for working on his game and exploding on the IU scene.  I just don't think its fair to take that away from him and give to the CAM.  

Just my opinion and it has absolutely nothing to do with how i feel about CAM. 

If you want to talk about how he has become better as a defender from last year, yup, i absolutely think CAM has had an impact on not just him but all of the starters, who are much better than last year on the defensive end.  

Credit can go to both people.

Guys, i did not mean to go down this rabbit hole.  I am sorry and really want to stop it here.  I just wanted to say i am impressed with Armaan Franklin's growth from last year, where i thought he might actually transfer to being a bright spot in an otherwise dismal offense that we have.  I really enjoy watching him hustle, play and care about being the floor.

I didn't mean to derail the thread and i should know better with how Stueben and IUFLA and I do not agree on things.

I wasn't meaning to attack any specifically and don't like that i am being attacked back specifically for my view.  So i am going to delete all my comments in here and move on

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Did CAM give him goals to work in the off season.  Most certainly, all coaches do.  If that is coaching the kid up and making him a better shooter, then i acquiesce, CAM is the reason AF is the shooter he is today. 

I'm not taking it that far.  I'm just saying Archie probably gets a little credit, but definitely Armaan's work ethic would be the biggest factor.  

Just now, IowaHoosierFan said:

Guys, i did not mean to go down this rabbit hole.  I am sorry and really want to stop it here.  I just wanted to say i am impressed with Armaan Franklin's growth from last year, where i thought he might actually transfer to being a bright spot in an otherwise dismal offense that we have.  I really enjoy watching him hustle, play and care about being the floor.

I didn't mean to derail the thread and i should know better with how Stueben and IUFLA and I do not agree on things.

I wasn't meaning to attack any specifically and don't like that i am being attacked back specifically for my view.  So i am going to delete all my comments in here and move on

Don’t delete, it’s a message board you can have your own thoughts!

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

I like that you are willing to battle the others some times.  It can just be draining.  Hang in there!

I like to look at things from both perspectives and play a lot of devils advocate on here. I remember so many people on here that when others would give CTC credit for Vic they would go off and say things like was CTC in Cook Hall at midnight shooting it was all Vic. Others say coach gave Vic confidence and believed that he could be whatever he wanted to be. I think that both coach and player deserve credit but if we are all arguing over who should get credit over the improvement of 1 player we are missing the boat that there are plenty others that have not developed. Who is to blame once again probably both player and staff.

Not sure why this has turned into such a kerfuffle. My stance is what you folks are saying...that CAM might have had something to do with the improvement we have seen in Armaan. Never claimed he was the sole cause for it...my original take on this subject said "maybe, just maybe". 

I agree that the mechanics, the developing the muscle memory, that's all on the player. I also firmly believe that a coach can either encourage or discourage a player, and whichever of those dynamics is in the kid's head, will have an impact on their success.

4 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Never claimed he was the sole cause for it

A coach can NEVER be the sole cause of it...

The kid can succeed in his own development without the coach...

But he CANNOT succeed without he himself putting forth the work and effort...

7 minutes ago, IUwins0708 said:

5 minutes ago, Steubenhoosier said:

Not sure why this has turned into such a kerfuffle. My stance is what you folks are saying...that CAM might have had something to do with the improvement we have seen in Armaan. Never claimed he was the sole cause for it...my original take on this subject said "maybe, just maybe". 

I agree that the mechanics, the developing the muscle memory, that's all on the player. I also firmly believe that a coach can either encourage or discourage a player, and whichever of those dynamics is in the kid's head, will have an impact on their success.

It’s because so many of us are frustrated with the state of basketball at IU.  Your points are all correct and I’m right there with you on this.

Archived