Knight vs. Archie

rico

2 hours ago, 5fouls said:

Bob Knight would be unable to hold a job in today's college athletics.  That said, much of what he did was accepted back in the 70's and 80's not because he won, but because society in general did not think the things he did was that big of a deal at the time.  Things started to change in the mid 90's, when society as a whole started to distance itself from things Bob did.

That said, can anyone ever imagine Archie in a photo like this one?  Knight had a bond with many of his players that is unmatched, not just when compared to Archie, but when compared to the vast majority of coaches out there.

Yeah.  I'd let my kid play for that guy.

See the source image

One of the many things I dislike about Dakich are the unprovoked shots he’s taken at AJ

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

One of the many things I dislike about Dakich are the unprovoked shots he’s taken at AJ

I don't listen to Dakich.  What's he been saying about AJ?

For the record, Guyton has always been one my top 2-3 favorite former players.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

He had said AJ and Recker was what hurt IU ore than anything else.  Talked about how neither was interested in defense and and wasn't team players.

7 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

He had said AJ and Recker was what hurt IU ore than anything else.  Talked about how neither was interested in defense and and wasn't team players.

356 points to 2100...

I think Dakich would have had to play a defensive game 10 times better than the Jordan game every game of his college career to make up that gap...

Hell, Recker tripled Dakich's total career points in 2 years at IU...

12 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yes, it was during a IU/IL broadcast in 2016. Blamed AJ’s teams for the downfall of IU basketball. Said AJ cared more about stats than winning 

Contrary to what one poster said...Archie Miller is a tough practice coach.  He requires that players get on board his system.  

At Dayton he had one team that was underperforming midseason.  Sat them in the locker room and had them discuss what they wanted out of the program that year and beyond...and what they thought it would take to get there.  They turned that year around and excelled.

At IU the players are different.  They each think they are going to be the center of attraction when they get there...well maybe.

Working with that type of player is different.  I hope Archie Miller has learned to deal with those types.  But, I do not know...wasn't successful last year. 

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

356 points to 2100...

I think Dakich would have had to play a defensive game 10 times better than the Jordan game every game of his college career to make up that gap...

Hell, Recker tripled Dakich's total career points in 2 years at IU...

Dakich understands the game and if he stuck with that, he’d be fine.  But something is literally wrong  with him.  Like he has a condition.  

AJ was a tremendous player for IU, and far, far, far more significant of a player than Dan ever was.  As far as defense, AJ wasn’t tremendous but he was one of the few guys at that time who could move his feet defensively and keep the other team’s point guard in front of him.  And on offense, he was an assasin.  His accolades and stats speak for themselves.  

Dan discredits himself when he does bush league stuff like that.  

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Dakich understands the game and if he stuck with that, he’d be fine.  But something is literally wrong  with him.  Like he has a condition.  

AJ was a tremendous player for IU, and far, far, far more significant of a player than Dan ever was.  As far as defense, AJ wasn’t tremendous but he was one of the few guys at that time who could move his feet defensively and keep the other team’s point guard in front of him.  And on offense, he was an assasin.  His accolades and stats speak for themselves.  

Dan discredits himself when he does bush league stuff like that.  

The green eyed monster?

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

The green eyed monster?

At least.  He seems incredibly self absorbed.  I heard him go into disturbed land complaining that assembly hall had something up for Andy Katz but not for him.  Like he really said that out loud.  He’s into himself at the level of a college boy, not a late 50s adult.  

And he was as responsible as anyone for the back half of the 1990s as anyone.  When he’s acting stable, I’ve heard him essentially own up to it.  It wasn’t AJ’s fault.  He filled his role.  It was the lack of the right guys around him.  If you believe in “do your job” AJ was good. 

11 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

At least.  He seems incredibly self absorbed.  I heard him go into disturbed land complaining that assembly hall had something up for Andy Katz but not for him.  Like he really said that out loud.  He’s into himself at the level of a college boy, not a late 50s adult.  

And he was as responsible as anyone for the back half of the 1990s as anyone.  When he’s acting stable, I’ve heard him essentially own up to it.  It wasn’t AJ’s fault.  He filled his role.  It was the lack of the right guys around him.  If you believe in “do your job” AJ was good. 

Maybe the world would be  a better place if Jordan had lit up Dakich for about 47 that game.  

@rico I love you bud...but this is a troll thread that will only start arguments about good, bad, ugly of both the man and their coaching. This is going to be an ugly thread. I like what I hear from Archie and it’s a different time for sure and no doubt Knight couldn’t coach in this era (the way he did back then) but it isn’t even close in coaching ability and I don’t think they can even be compared.

5 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Yes, it was during a IU/IL broadcast in 2016. Blamed AJ’s teams for the downfall of IU basketball. Said AJ cared more about stats than winning 

That’s disgusting. You put AJ on this team....we are probably 13-1 right now....what I wouldn’t give for a kid like him right now. Idiotic!

10 minutes ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just want to chime in to take a shot at our buddy Dakich.  Dan, you didn't shut Jordan down.  RMK realized Jordan was a poor jump shooter at the time. All he asked you to do was take the baseline away.  

The real star of that game was Uwe Blab.  

Dean Smith shut down Jordan

1 hour ago, mrflynn03 said:

Benched because of fouls?

Back then most coaches didn't worry about if a guy got 2 fouls in the first half.  Smith took him out and kept him out to long and would keep bringing him in and out.  He did foul out at the end of the game but Smith kept subbing to much.  Smith was known to sub in and out a lot.  At one time he would bring in 5 subs at a time and who am I to question na HOF coach but to me that is not a good strategy.

7 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Back then most coaches didn't worry about if a guy got 2 fouls in the first half.  Smith took him out and kept him out to long and would keep bringing him in and out.  He did foul out at the end of the game but Smith kept subbing to much.  Smith was known to sub in and out a lot.  At one time he would bring in 5 subs at a time and who am I to question na HOF coach but to me that is not a good strategy.

Yep, Jordan only played 26 minutes. Alford played 40, Blab played 37, Perkins 35, Doherty 37 etc. Without foul trouble Jordan would have played roughly 50% more minutes. That being said....what a win for IU as the comparative rosters were not even remotely close from a talent standpoint. Dean Smith had a number of absolutely stacked teams.

8 hours ago, mrflynn03 said:

I just want to chime in to take a shot at our buddy Dakich.  Dan, you didn't shut Jordan down.  RMK realized Jordan was a poor jump shooter at the time. All he asked you to do was take the baseline away.  

The real star of that game was Uwe Blab.  

Yes, It’s pretty amazing how Jordan’s game evolved. In college, and his early years with the Bulls, he was primarily a take it to the rim guy but he developed into a perimeter threat. 

And yes, kudos to Uwe. His freshman year he had trouble catching bounce passes to the post but his senior year he averaged 16 a game and was the 17th pick in the first round of the draft. 

Archived