20-21 Bracketology thread

Indykev

3 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. Our season to date isn't going the way we want but I look at most of these brackets and IU still is in the tourney in most if not all. Salvage time starts Saturday.

In normal circumstances, I would take stuff like this as a good sign.  But, I truthfully don't see us being able to get the 2-3 wins necessary to stay above the cut line.  Eventually, the losses are going to catch up with us.  especially if they are as ugly as Wednesday night was.  

• Replies 89
  • Created
  • Last Reply
34 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Joe Lunardi released a new bracket this morning.

And still has IU in it.

https://www.espn.com/espn/feature/story/_/id/30302581/the-varying-states-ncaa-tournament-bracketology

I just can't see how a team that is 12-11 can still be considered for the tournament.  It makes you realize that the bottom of the field must be so weak.  I think teams in the mid majors who are 20-4 deserves a bid over a team from a big conference with barely a .500 record.

3 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

That's the thing. Our season to date isn't going the way we want but I look at most of these brackets and IU still is in the tourney in most if not all. Salvage time starts Saturday.

You're not wrong, it's just really hard to imagine the team magically pulling it together enough with these final three games. 

1 hour ago, KoB2011 said:

You're not wrong, it's just really hard to imagine the team magically pulling it together enough with these final three games. 

I've recovered from Rutgers (short term) so now I'm looking at this way.

0-3 No chance in the world unless we win BTT

1-2 Depends on the 1 but 13-13 and 8-11 in this conference probably still gets us in either play in game or last 4

2-1 14-12 and 9-10...even with sub .500 conf record I believe still gets in.  

Lots of moving parts. Frustrating for sure but right now and right now only we have 3 games to change our season. Give it a go and let it rip. See what happens. 

9 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

1-2 Depends on the 1 but 13-13 and 8-11 in this conference probably still gets us in either play in game or last 4

Lots of moving parts. Frustrating for sure but right now and right now only we have 3 games to change our season. Give it a go and let it rip. See what happens. 

I’ve gone back and forth, but the more I think about it, 14 seems like the magic number to make the tournament, and maybe to save Archie’s job for another year.  Anything less than 14 wins on Selection Sunday, and I don’t really see how we make the field, or how Archie survives.

2 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

I’ve gone back and forth, but the more I think about it, 14 seems like the magic number to make the tournament, and maybe to save Archie’s job for another year.  Anything less than 14 wins on Selection Sunday, and I don’t really see how we make the field, or how Archie survives.

Is your 14 including winning at least once in the BTT? I've gone back and forth as well....and there will be plenty of time to discuss Archie and our program in a month but I'm just trying to figure out how we can get in besides the obvious of course. 

19 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

I don't disagree with you on this at all, I'm just not sure this team can pull it together to win 2 more games. 

22 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Is your 14 including winning at least once in the BTT? I've gone back and forth as well....and there will be plenty of time to discuss Archie and our program in a month but I'm just trying to figure out how we can get in besides the obvious of course. 

Yeah, that’s including the BTT... I think getting two more wins, no matter where they come, at least gives us a chance.

14-14 (8-11 in conference, 1-1 in BTT), it’s a coin flip... Beat UM, we’re probably in.  Beat Purdue, it’s 50/50.  Beat MSU, NIT would probably be more likely.

14-13 (9-10 in conference, 0-1 in BTT) should probably get it done.  We’d be over .500 and have wins against two of Michigan/MSU on the road/Purdue on the road to end the season, even with our traditional BTT flame out.

14-15 (7-12 in conference, 2-1 in BTT) would be wacky... Who knows for sure, but I guess I’d be pretty shocked if we made it in at that point.

And I think 15 wins puts us in no matter what scenario you look at.

29 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Yeah, that’s including the BTT... I think getting two more wins, no matter where they come, at least gives us a chance.

14-14 (8-11 in conference, 1-1 in BTT), it’s a coin flip... Beat UM, we’re probably in.  Beat Purdue, it’s 50/50.  Beat MSU, NIT would probably be more likely.

14-13 (9-10 in conference, 0-1 in BTT) should probably get it done.  We’d be over .500 and have wins against two of Michigan/MSU on the road/Purdue on the road to end the season, even with our traditional BTT flame out.

14-15 (7-12 in conference, 2-1 in BTT) would be wacky... Who knows for sure, but I guess I’d be pretty shocked if we made it in at that point.

And I think 15 wins puts us in no matter what scenario you look at.

i guess 2 more wins and at least one in the BTT, but #1 does anyone really think that is going to happen?  #2 i know people keep saying the committee doesn't look at how many from a conference or whatever, but if we finish 9th or 10th in the conference, do we really deserve it?

5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i guess 2 more wins and at least one in the BTT, but #1 does anyone really think that is going to happen?  #2 i know people keep saying the committee doesn't look at how many from a conference or whatever, but if we finish 9th or 10th in the conference, do we really deserve it?

Two more wins in the regular season and one in the BTT makes us an absolute lock.  Two more wins in the regular season alone most likely gets us in, and one more win in the regular season with another win in the BTT gives us a shot.

There have been multiple instances of conferences getting more than eight teams into the dance in the past decade, and they were getting ready to put ten Big Ten teams in last year.  And the Selection Committee looks prepared to give even more benefit of the doubt to Power 5 conferences this year.  If we finish 14-13 or 14-14, I don’t think there’s going to be anything to complain about, whether we make it or we don’t.

Now whether we can actually manage to win two more games this season is a different question.  I wouldn’t bet on it.

Lunardi was on DD yesterday and said, even though we lost, 2 or 3 of the last 4 out lost as well so nothing changed.  

He also doubted Indiana could win enough down the stretch to get it done but said who knows what for sure will happen between the other teams and the committee with getting a certain amount of wins.  There is no magic number this year.  

On 2/26/2021 at 11:35 AM, IU Scott said:

I just can't see how a team that is 12-11 can still be considered for the tournament.  It makes you realize that the bottom of the field must be so weak.  I think teams in the mid majors who are 20-4 deserves a bid over a team from a big conference with barely a .500 record.

I would agree with you for most conferences, but the B1G is ridiculous this year. It seems like there are multiple top 5 matchups every week. A 20-4 team from a smaller conference would struggle to be .500 in this conference.

Because of impact on tourney I'll ask this. I'm looking at standings and right now we need W's. Shouldn't we be pulling for Minnesota to win final 2 games to leap us so we have a Wednesday game next week in tourney? Best case might be go 1-1 this week....and somehow Minnesota wins both (at Penn St, H vs Rutgers) that way we could win Wed/Thursday....and that would put us at 15-14 if we lost on Friday of BTT. Does that make sense?

Archived