Soccer 2021

8 hours ago, BGleas said:

Unless they change their strategy, I don't see how IU wins before PK's. Maybe getting it to PK's is the strategy at this point. 

Weird though that the announcers seemed to think if someone would score it would be IU. 

Honestly IU's defense really started to tighten things up the last 15 of regulation...and Marshall could get the ball to center forward or to the outside but those guys couldn't break down our defense. They just didn't have anything that threatened us in their runs. With these deep runs it set up opportunities for us on a counter to get the ball deep to our runners (Endeley in particular was separating with his speed) and giving us much better opportunities then theirs but the issue is we just made some awful awful turnovers in the midfield *unforced errors* and in the end...a bad bounce here or there when you give them so many opportunities bad things will eventually happen. We are one of those teams that typically doesn't need a ton of chances (we usually execute when we get a good look) but tonight we failed. That missed header is going to haunt us...it was a gimmie. It's tough to watch this sort of soccer honestly because we look on our heels for so much of the match....much rather see us pressuring their end...because quite honestly I thought their goalie looked shakey but alas that just isn't our game. 

Big soccer fan - watch more of it than any other sport.  Marshall really took the game to us.  They were the better side for the majority of the game.  It's hard to follow at times because, despite the fact that these guys are all way better than me, this game doesn't closely resemble soccer at the highest levels.  College soccer isn't where uber-talented 18-20 year olds go.  They're going pro, domestically or internationally.

Marshall seemed to imitate what a lot of other pro clubs around the world are doing - press on defense really high and with intensity.  Professional teams have the skill to break that down.  IU, it seemed, didn't really.  If you wanted to, you could conceivably say Marshall beat us not with skill but with physicality and conditioning.  

Onto the next.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, HoosierFaithful said:

Big soccer fan - watch more of it than any other sport.  Marshall really took the game to us.  They were the better side for the majority of the game.  It's hard to follow at times because, despite the fact that these guys are all way better than me, this game doesn't closely resemble soccer at the highest levels.  College soccer isn't where uber-talented 18-20 year olds go.  They're going pro, domestically or internationally.

Marshall seemed to imitate what a lot of other pro clubs around the world are doing - press on defense really high and with intensity.  Professional teams have the skill to break that down.  IU, it seemed, didn't really.  If you wanted to, you could conceivably say Marshall beat us not with skill but with physicality and conditioning.  

Onto the next.

I thought our defense actually got stronger as the game went along. Marshalls attempts in the last 20 mins of regulation and OT just looked more desperate than anything. They were not putting together those multiple passes and doing anything imaginative to set up looks....just a lot of one on one that went no where for the most part. Indiana has to be kicking ourselves because we had several good looks early that should have been put away....the header....omg that was a gimmie. For a team that doesn't possess the ball a lot you have to be effecient and we weren't unfortunately. I did think later we was going to free up someone on a deep run and finish it (thought Marshalls goalie looked nervous and indecisive) ... but if you give that much time and possession and opportunity the other team is going to get a lucky rebound....bounce or something. Dangerous game we play. We could have broken down a bit....legs had to be tired. You spend what seems like a majority of the tournament chasing, playing from behind, and without the ball and it adds up. Got to find some guys that can do a better job of taking care of the ball in the midfield. We just gave up the ball at will way way too much...almost like we didn't want to have it...even on throw ins. Oh well...I'm no expert. Clearly we've done a great job for a long time...but it was frustrating to watch for sure.

Edited by dgambill

52 minutes ago, TheWatShot said:

Disappointing. Maybe next year we'll get another crack at the Blundering Turd. 

We are returning pretty everyone from the starting lineup (I believe Warr and Palazzolo will be gone) and a really nice class coming in. Should be in the Top 10 again, once the season starts in 2.5 months 

• 3 weeks later...

USA and Mexico are in an amazing extra time battle.  Tempers flaring.  Projectiles flying from the crowd.  One US player hit, now a Mexico player hit.  

We are at 130 minutes.  3-2 USA.  Awesome penalty kick save by the back up goalie.  Amazing stick in the upper right corner on a penalty for USA.  

Called it.  Ball game.  concacaf 1st ever title.  Wow.  How is that even possible.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...