Assistant Coaches

Drroogh

I thought about this when Belien’s Michigan team went from being good to being Elite. It coincided with the hiring of an defensive genius assistant!

I wonder what would happen if Archie could find an offensive elite assistant, especially one who could also be a shot doctor?

• 1 month later...

If Archie comes back because the AD department is running around like a chicken with its head cut off, some staff changes are in order if Archie wants anything to be different. 

We definitely don’t know what’s going on behind the scenes.  But we see the bottom line.  It would behoove Archie to swap in a couple of new assistants. He needs a lot of help in a number of ways.  Kenya Hunter has potential in recruiting so he could stay.  Roberts hasn’t landed a single kid in two years and TJD hasn’t expanded his skill set despite his considerable ability.  Ostrom recruited Duncomb so that’s something but he missed on Kaufman which was a big loss.  Archie needs better X’s and O’s help where we are really struggling.  Ostrom also apparently handles substitutions which are a complete mess.   

But just as Archie is willing to go down with the ship with certain players, he seems unlikely to shake up the staff to get some fresh eyes in here and help him substantively.  If he has a come to Jesus moment in this, it could be a real help to him.  Changes are warranted.  

Coaches are loyal/stubborn to a fault.  Look at Crean.  He gets any sort of defensive help and he has more success ... instead he tried 9 defenses within a 30 second shot clock.  

Archie has his guys.  Im sure they’re all great people, but what brought them success in the A10 hasn’t translated here ... and you either adapt or you’re out .... I think we all see the writing on the wall unless there is a major overhaul on many levels this off-season. 

3 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really focused on free throw shooting today since we were talking about it.  It’s amazing how stiff, upright and robotic we look. Guys not bending their knees.  It’s to the point that I think I could literally help them lol.  

It is fundamentals. We don't need someone to come in and totally re-vamp all of our jump shots. What we need is someone to point out when a person's fundamentals get a little off (which happens). I always go back to Archie's first year and Collin Hartman. He was clearly falling backwards on his shot the entire year. Nobody ever fixed him. He had a beautiful looking shot and a history of being a good shooter - but nobody stepped in to get his fundamentals back on track - so he was horrible at shooting his senior year.

7 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Coaches are loyal/stubborn to a fault.  Look at Crean.  He gets any sort of defensive help and he has more success ... instead he tried 9 defenses within a 30 second shot clock.  

Archie has his guys.  Im sure they’re all great people, but what brought them success in the A10 hasn’t translated here ... and you either adapt or you’re out .... I think we all see the writing on the wall unless there is a major overhaul on many levels this off-season. 

Agree.  One of my big problems with Crean is that he wildly overrated his own acumen.  Other coaches famously dubbed him Tommy Naismith.  

I couldn’t agree more that he would have benefited tremendously from having a D minded coach to help him, as well as in half court offense.  He honestly didn’t have a huge runway before getting the Marquette job.  

If Archie wants to turn this around, he should try to get some veteran coaching help.  

5 minutes ago, Go__Hoosiers said:

Tim Buckley was the shot doctor - but on Archie's staff Schilling was supposed to be the player development guy - so I would assume shot doctoring would have fallen into his responsibilities.

So Schilling leaves ... Bruiser leaves ... 

So let’s flip this question around - who WANTS to come work for Archie as an assistant?

4 minutes ago, Bustout said:

So Schilling leaves ... Bruiser leaves ... 

So let’s flip this question around - who WANTS to come work for Archie as an assistant?

If you bring him back what coach will up root their family for one year.  They have no he is probably on his way put so no one would want to be here.  I am sure Hunter is probably regretting his decision to come here this year.

Just now, IUwins0708 said:

If Archie comes back, not saying he is, but he better make a lot of changes.  

He has made changes to the staff and hasn't worked.  I just can't see how the administration can bring this coaching staff back and expect it to just turn around.  They have no knw the fan apathy toward this program and that if Archie comes back it will get worse.  I hated the feeling I have had the last 3 games where I wasn't into the game and was totally pissed after a loss especially to PU

Just now, IU Scott said:

He has made changes to the staff and hasn't worked.  I just can't see how the administration can bring this coaching staff back and expect it to just turn around.  They have no knw the fan apathy toward this program and that if Archie comes back it will get worse.  I hated the feeling I have had the last 3 games where I wasn't into the game and was totally pissed after a loss especially to PU

I’m talking major overhaul. No more Ostrom, no more Roberts.

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Hunter has netted Stewart thus far and he was brought in here specifically to recruit.  To be fair - he hasn’t exactly had a normal recruiting cycle. 

I at least applaud Archie for bringing in someone for recruiting and recognizing that was an area of deficiency. 

1 minute ago, Bustout said:

Hunter has netted Stewart thus far and he was brought in here specifically to recruit.  To be fair - he hasn’t exactly had a normal recruiting cycle. 

I at least applaud Archie for bringing in someone for recruiting. 

I bet Hunter regrets coming here now because he could lose his job after one year.

48 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I really focused on free throw shooting today since we were talking about it.  It’s amazing how stiff, upright and robotic we look. Guys not bending their knees.  It’s to the point that I think I could literally help them lol.  

He didn't shoot any today but Galloway especially has ugly FT form. 

Geronimo's isn't much better but at least he shoots them straight. He just tends to shoot them flat and too hard so they go off the back of the rim.

Phinisee tends to shoot them short even at the beginning of games before he should be tired.

47 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I haven’t liked TJD’s form since i first saw it. Like you said, robotic, no knee bend, and there’s a bit of a hitch on the release. That’s our top volume guy, and he’s well under 70%. 

Archived