Iowa Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Thursday, January 21st at 9:00 PM EST on FS1

Iowa.PNG.a08ca08ece5c0c44eee7daa19902ff0f.PNG

We all know Garza. He'll get his...

I think the key is not letting Wieskamp and Bohannon get started. I'm thinking Armaan on Wieskamp, and Rob on Bohannon...

Keegan Murray (Fr) has been coming on as late for the Hawkeyes...

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think the key is not letting Wieskamp and Bohannon get started. I'm thinking Armaan on Wieskamp, and Rob on Bohannon...

Once that Whizzchamp kid gets going it is hard to stop the flow...

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

You think Rob will start?   

Curious if the Rob + Al combo will get a lot of mins.  Also very curious if Stewart will play. 

57 minutes ago, rico said:

Once that Whizzchamp kid gets going it is hard to stop the flow...

Yes it is...and he's just as proficient driving it as he is shooting the 3...

We did beat them in Bloomington last year pretty convincingly, but that was a "Good Devonte" game and can't really be used as a measuring stick...Plus, Bohannon didn't play...Garza had 38 and Wieskamp had 16, but we held everybody else in check...

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

You think Rob will start?   

Curious if the Rob + Al combo will get a lot of mins.  Also very curious if Stewart will play. 

Good question...I don't know if Arch will go back to Armaan, Al, Trey in the backcourt...But I think we need Rob's defense on Bohannon...He's not exceptionally quick or strong, so Al might be able to handle him, but he has a quick release/ When our guards double Garza, they have to close out fast...

I haven't heard boo on Stewart playing this game or this year...

3 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

This type of game is 1 that we can win. The question is will we? If we can defend the 3 and be close in the rebound battle, we will be in the game. Not sure we can close.   I see 79-72 Iowa.

Can you explain more why you think this is the type of game we can win?  Because they go through the block?  They shoot to many 3s?  They are not talented enough?  Fran in their coach and they inevitably always fail down the stretch? We play to the level of our competition and we stay with them?

Iowa and Mich are the two teams that i don't think we match well with because they can shoot the 3 really well.

It sure seems like just about anyone can beat anyone in the BIG this year.  No better way to remove the stain of losing to Purdue again except by beating one of the top ranked teams in Iowa.  I don't see it happening but I hope I am wrong.

I would like to think TJD is going to get his but the question is who else on the team is going to be the ones to step up and do some scoring?  This is the type of game where we need AF to be 100% and starting along with another unnamed guard to step up and score.

Also concerned that Garza gets our bigs in foul trouble early.

Beer fridge is stocked, hopefully for celebration and not sadness.  Still a lot of season left and time to right the ship.

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Can you explain more why you think this is the type of game we can win?  Because they go through the block?  They shoot to many 3s?  They are not talented enough?  Fran in their coach and they inevitably always fail down the stretch? We play to the level of our competition and we stay with them?

Iowa and Mich are the two teams that i don't think we match well with because they can shoot the 3 really well.

It epitomizes the CAM Era, on any given night can play with top level teams but continue to get curb stomped by PU and lose to the other bottom dwellers of the Conference.  See Mich St. I don't expect IU to win but would not be shocked. 

1 minute ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

They live and die by the 3. Teams like Iowa remind me of some former IU teams under CTC. They can run you out of the gym or lose by 20. Or like in our case they can lose to Fort Wayne or beat Kansas.

33 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Yes it is...and he's just as proficient driving it as he is shooting the 3...

We did beat them in Bloomington last year pretty convincingly, but that was a "Good Devonte" game and can't really be used as a measuring stick...Plus, Bohannon didn't play...Garza had 238 and Wieskamp had 16, but we held everybody else in check...

Beat them convincingly while still giving up 238 to Garza? That must've been one hell of a "Good Devonte" game! We might need to do a slightly better job than that on guarding Garza this year to have a chance. 

😉

Preface:  I have consistently supported CAM and stated that he should be given more time.  I also love the kids he has recruited.  

However, Iowa has thrived on the 3.  IU has died by the 3 since CAM's arrival.  What on God's earth gives anyone the reasoning that IU will do well tonight?

I watched Iowa a couple times.  They are really impressive to watch on the offensive end.  Scoring presence from a big man and move the ball extremely well with multiple shooters.  I can't imagine beating them at Iowa.  I am not able to look up betting lines while in my school.  Can anyone tell me what they spread is right now?

12 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Beat them convincingly while still giving up 238 to Garza? That must've been one hell of a "Good Devonte" game! We might need to do a slightly better job than that on guarding Garza this year to have a chance. 

😉

Look out Bevo Francis!

11 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

Preface:  I have consistently supported CAM and stated that he should be given more time.  I also love the kids he has recruited.  

However, Iowa has thrived on the 3.  IU has died by the 3 since CAM's arrival.  What on God's earth gives anyone the reasoning that IU will do well tonight?

Whether you think you can or whether you think you can't...you're right...

Winning this would be a great start to the second half of the season.  We have to defend the three better.  I read in an article yesterday that in B1G play we are dead last in the conference in defending the three.  If Iowa gets hot, which they are capable of, we are in it pretty deep.  Hopefully we don't let that happen.  TJD and Race have to play smart on Garza.  He is aggressive and I could see a scenario where one or both have two fouls early from trying to defend him, and I don't mean home cooking fouls, I mean legit they are trying to guard him and actually foul him fouls.  Play hard, play smart, play with emotion and let's see what happens.  I would love to go to bed pleasantly surprised Thursday night. 

28 minutes ago, FWIUFan said:

10 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I don't see how this isn't a 15+ pt loss.  They will rain down 3s and we won't have an answer.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't want to "like' this, but I agree.  

You fellas need to think about joining!

:D 

Archived