Iowa Pre Game Thread

IUFLA

Is it me, or has most of the B1G gone to a 3-point focused offense?   I don’t recall this many conference teams being so 3-pt focused.   It’s probably shifted over last 15-20 years, but it just seems like every game is a bad matchup for IU bc the other team jacks 3s.  

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, NotIThatLives said:

Are we healthy?  I think so.  

Are we focused?

Motivated?... Embarrassed?  

Sounds like Yes on all the above, based on CAMs radio show with Don on Monday night.  

Doesn’t mean they’ll beat Iowa, but need to beat the middle-of-the-pack teams (Rutgers, Minn, O$U, MSU, and one more crack at Purdue)

3 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Sounds like Yes on all the above, based on CAMs radio show with Don on Monday night.  

Doesn’t mean they’ll beat Iowa, but need to beat the middle-of-the-pack teams (Rutgers, Minn, O$U, MSU, and one more crack at Purdue)

I looked at our remaining schedule and I don't think there is a sure win left on it.  I think (hope) we will win a few games out of the last 12 but there isn't a game left that I can point to and say, "That one should be in the bag".  In fact, I think there is a real possibility of only winning 3 more games this year.

We need to start getting some actual W's against the upper tier teams and stringing some wins together.  There is not any more room for moral victories this year.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I looked at our remaining schedule and I don't think there is a sure win left on it.  I think (hope) we will win a few games out of the last 12 but there isn't a game left that I can point to and say, "That one should be in the bag".  In fact, I think there is a real possibility of only winning 3 more games this year.

We need to start getting some actual W's against the upper tier teams and stringing some wins together.  There is not any more room for moral victories this year.

I hate agreeing with this, but it's what I keep saying.  The good news for me is that I'll be happy if I'm wrong!  

21 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Is it me, or has most of the B1G gone to a 3-point focused offense?   I don’t recall this many conference teams being so 3-pt focused.   It’s probably shifted over last 15-20 years, but it just seems like every game is a bad matchup for IU bc the other team jacks 3s.  

I think its more of we are not good at defending the 3 and teams take advantage and take what is given and without a hand in your face even a slow fat out of shape guy like me can hit wide open 3's all day long. So teams not named IU do the same.

13 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I hate agreeing with this, but it's what I keep saying.  The good news for me is that I'll be happy if I'm wrong!  

Tell ya what...Let's play em anyway...Just for the hell of it...

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

Preface:  I have consistently supported CAM and stated that he should be given more time.  I also love the kids he has recruited.  

However, Iowa has thrived on the 3.  IU has died by the 3 since CAM's arrival.  What on God's earth gives anyone the reasoning that IU will do well tonight?

We can do really well tonight. The game is tomorrow.

😄

56 minutes ago, Parakeet Jones said:

Winning this would be a great start to the second half of the season.  We have to defend the three better.  I read in an article yesterday that in B1G play we are dead last in the conference in defending the three.  If Iowa gets hot, which they are capable of, we are in it pretty deep.  Hopefully we don't let that happen.  TJD and Race have to play smart on Garza.  He is aggressive and I could see a scenario where one or both have two fouls early from trying to defend him, and I don't mean home cooking fouls, I mean legit they are trying to guard him and actually foul him fouls.  Play hard, play smart, play with emotion and let's see what happens.  I would love to go to bed pleasantly surprised Thursday night. 

The continuing failure to extend the pack line well, to guard the perimeter, has been our achilles heel for some time now. That has to change.

3 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

The continuing failure to extend the pack line well, to guard the perimeter, has been our achilles heel for some time now. That has to change.

Along with the lack of consistent shooters from three point range, mid range and the free throw line. We don't have one good shooter off the dribble or coming off the few screens we set. 

9 minutes ago, jefftheref said:

Along with the lack of consistent shooters from three point range, mid range and the free throw line. We don't have one good shooter off the dribble or coming off the few screens we set. 

Maybe Stewart plays, Armaan gets going again .... and Leal gets a long run for his offense.   

1 hour ago, FWIUFan said:

Preface:  I have consistently supported CAM and stated that he should be given more time.  I also love the kids he has recruited.  

However, Iowa has thrived on the 3.  IU has died by the 3 since CAM's arrival.  What on God's earth gives anyone the reasoning that IU will do well tonight?

Not really overly concerned with how well they do tonight.  I'm more concerned with how well they do tomorrow night 😁

10 minutes ago, addictedtoIU said:

Hope it's not going to be a massacre. If we lose badly, I'll stay away from this board a for day or two. 

I really can't imagine me being negative after this game.  My expectations are just not there.  I will get more negative if we lose some of the games down the road.  Honestly, even if we get blown out tomorrow night, it won't make me feel any different than I do right now.  I'll just be bummed that I will have stayed up way past my bed time.  

34 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Maybe Stewart plays, Armaan gets going again .... and Leal gets a long run for his offense.   

We can only hope. I want the players and coaches to succeed but I just don't see it happening. I hope I am wrong and if so I will eat my fair share of crow!

1 hour ago, jefftheref said:

Consistent can be debated -- we have guys who can shoot and guys who shoot free throws well, to me it's more about who is taking the most shots and how the offensive sets are run for who to shoot, and whether those are outside or inside shots.

Looking back, we have had that crazy disparity in our 3-point shooting vs. the bad guys but it was skewed by the PU game: IU 3-18 and PU 11-17 (we allowed 11 of 17 by PU...). Contrast that with the W over Neb -- 9-24 vs. 9-23, or the double-OT loss to Wisc, 8-21 vs. 8-19, which is really more reflective of most of our conference games, e.g., the losses to Northwestern and Illinois were respectively 7-18 vs. 7-19, and 7-18 vs. 7-20. We've won despite terrible 3-point shooting, see the W over MD, IU 4-22 but that was with MD going 7-25. I am hoping to see more shooting/sets run for Hunter and Leal, both can shoot.

Archived