Tonight we will see everything that IU basketball used to be...

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

February 10th, 2016. Iowa was 19-4 overall and 10-1 in BIG. #4 nationally. They finished the regular season a month or so later 21-9 overall and 12-6 in BIG. Lost first game of BTT and second game in tournament. 

Fran has a history of strong starts and timid finishes. Maybe this will be the year it changes, but consider me a skeptic.

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

Iowa sure is known for their defense 🙄

Yes, traditionally Iowa's defense has been not very good. But since their lost to Minny, they have focused more defensively and held teams to 72, 75, 67, 71 (Minny again) and 73. Iowa being the #1 team in offensive efficiency, this is "defending well." Notice I didn't say they were "know for defense." And it's is that efficiency that reminds me off IU team's of lore. I wasn't concerned about IU's defense when they gave up 82 points to Duke, 76 points to LSU and 93 to UNLV during their '87 run because of IU's efficiency.

What happens in March is yet to be told, but I would rather IU be 12-2 right now with skeptics about how they will do in March then the inevitable miss on the tourney again.

2 hours ago, WI_Hoosier said:

Iowa is mentally tough, plays physical, defends well, moves well, shoots well and does all the little things that I watched with pride as a Hoosier fan growing up. No drama, no accusations of cheating, team first, the way basketball was meant to be...

And they just win.

Fran was getting a lot of heat three years ago. A lot of fans were really ripping his recruiting 

https://www.hawkcentral.com/story/sports/college/iowa/basketball-men/2018/02/23/iowa-takeaways-hawkeyes-coach-fran-mccaffery-dismisses-hot-seat-talk/367707002/

I'd be careful with the "and they just win" part. Like Madmax referenced with 2016 collapse, three years ago a win in the regular season finale vs Northwestern kept them from losing their last 7 straight, two years ago they got up to 21st before they lost 5 of their last 6, last year they were up to 17th in the nation before they lost 5 of their last 9 and 3 of their last 4.

Their offense is incredible this year but Fran hasn't proved to be the most trustworthy coach

3 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

I'd be careful with the "and they just win" part. Like Madmax referenced with 2016 collapse, three years ago a win in the regular season finale vs Northwestern kept them from losing their last 7 straight, two years ago they got up to 21st before they lost 5 of their last 6, last year they were up to 17th in the nation before they lost 5 of their last 9 and 3 of their last 4.

Their offense is incredible this year but Fran hasn't proved to be the most trustworthy coach

Hmm, reminds me of someone. Just can't think who it is....

😁

5 minutes ago, PritchardPutBack said:

All true, but this isn't march, its January and they are looking like a top 5 team in the country.  And we well...we look like we play basketball at some level

5 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

All true, but this isn't march, its January and they are look like a top 5 team in the country.  And we well...we look like we play basketball at some level

True, I'm not really trying to say anything about tonight because I think it'll be hard for us to pull out a win. Just this post seemed to act like everything is happy and go lucky in Hawkeye land and they are what IU Basketball should be where I know it definitely hasn't been a love fest of Fran from Iowa fans up to this season

Just now, PritchardPutBack said:

True, I'm not really trying to say anything about tonight because I think it'll be hard for us to pull out a win. Just this post seemed to act like everything is happy and go lucky in Hawkeye land and they are what IU Basketball should be where I know it definitely has been a love fest of Fran and over in Hawkeye land up to this season

Well it is currently all happy and go lucky in Hawkeye Land.  And i am not saying i want to have the same level of success Iowa has had over the last 30 years, but they are fun to watch even if their coach is not the most trustworthy.  It goes a long way to show how far we have fallen that many fans are doing these comparison.

Archived