Tonight we will see everything that IU basketball used to be...

2 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Stupid question, how does the pack line handle a 6'11 center who likes to shoot the 3 like Garza?  Does TJD come out and guard him or do we switch someone like hunter or AF onto him when he slips out?  I honestly don't know

Our pack line doesn't guard anyone on the 3pt line. Rules don't change for Garza 

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

We are underdogs and should be in this game.

That said, we've seen plenty of reason this season to think our team has a shot. 

The PU game was horrible. The Wiscy game, though ultimately a double OT game, was not, we really should have won that game (struggling not to mention the sh__ officials). The OT loss to Fla State, was not. Etc. The team that beat MD was solid. The team that fought through adversity to beat PSU was solid -- though PSU's guards shot 12-28 from the arc (7-12 in the 2nd half) IU pulled it out.

It's going to come down to how we defend the 3, and how/whether we diversify our offense, imo.

We can score, when we diversify, and defending the 3 has become the achilles heel, but after PU's absolutely ridiculous number and percentage of 3's, we absolutely should see adjustments, I'm looking forward to seeing what adjustments CAM/the team make.

30 minutes ago, dbmhoosier said:

It's gonna be a massacre. 

Hey, it's a late start...maybe you could slip in "Custer of the West" and "The Alamo" beforehand...you know, kinda a massacre triple header for ya...

I'll be watching "Miracle on Ice" before the game 😁

7 hours ago, WI_Hoosier said:

Iowa is mentally tough, plays physical, defends well, moves well, shoots well and does all the little things that I watched with pride as a Hoosier fan growing up. No drama, no accusations of cheating, team first, the way basketball was meant to be...

And they just win.

Iowa hasn't been to a Sweet 16 since 1999. Let's pump the brakes on Iowa being the gold standard. 

6 hours ago, IUwins0708 said:

Never do, usually early February they run out of steam.  A lot like Tom. Creans IU teams did.  Defense is still important come March, and they don’t play a bit of it.

I look for teams with dynamic guards that can break down a defense and get to and finish at the rim. It just make everything so much easier for shooters...for bigs around the rim to drop off to. Show me the teams with a good core of players that have 1 or 2 guards that are electric off the dribble in getting past their defender and I’d put money on them. It’s always a crap shoot because college kids are young and can have a dud in a single elimination tournament but show me a list of the best guards in the country and I’ll pick my winner from them. One thing Iowa doesn’t have is a dynamic playmaker at guard to get open shots for people. Maybe an elite center that requires double teams would do the trick but give me Gonzaga’s Suggs, Baylor’s Jared Butler, Villanovas Gillespie, Alabama’s shakelford/Petty/Primo combo...teams like that. Of course you need defense but that team that can destroy your defensive game plan will be the last ones standing imo.

2 hours ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

Stupid question, how does the pack line handle a 6'11 center who likes to shoot the 3 like Garza?  Does TJD come out and guard him or do we switch someone like hunter or AF onto him when he slips out?  I honestly don't know

There's a little known adjunct to the pack line called the "clothes line", but you can use it only very rarely and when the refs aren't paying attention.

13 hours ago, WI_Hoosier said:

Iowa is mentally tough, plays physical, defends well, moves well, shoots well and does all the little things that I watched with pride as a Hoosier fan growing up. No drama, no accusations of cheating, team first, the way basketball was meant to be...

And they just win.

What were you harping on about? Hahahaha 

Archived