Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Finally!!!!! I think I finally witnessed Coach Miller’s “Dayton Model”  I've been longing to see. I found this old quote from Archie, (Still at Dayton in 2017, just after beating Iowa).

“ I think our teams at Dayton are known for great ball movement and unselfishness. But I told these guys, it’s going to be pace, it’s going to be player movement, flow, and it’s going to be an attacking, aggressive style.”

That is exactly what I saw from IU tonight!

The defense was outstanding. We had given up around 27 really quickly.  Maybe in something like the first ten minutes.  Then (bam!) our defense was lights out.  

I loved the way they stretched out and played way out to the three point line after a rocky start.  I’d like to see more of that.  

Gritty, tough win.  

We have just got to get free throws figured out though. 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

I think this was pretty clearly the best win of Archie's tenure and it was a pretty clear contrast to the Purdue game, but the question is which team is the real Indiana basketball team?

When I look at how we played tonight, in Madison, in Tallahassee, and in Champaign I tend to think we have a really tough team that can best anyone on any given night and the Purdue game (and probably NU) was an abberation. 

I said after Purdue that if we lost to Purdue again and missed the tournament I would be okay with moving on, and I meant it, but I also think when you dig into this team it's yet another step forward this year and a team that should be a really tough out as a 7ish seed. 

This team and this program and slowly but steadily heading in the right direction IMO. 

Yeah I tend to agree with that for the most part.. I also think having Joey Brunk would have helped this team a ton as well.. takes a lot of pressure off Trayce having to play the 5.. and you have a true 6'11 big in there who plays hard and can match up with other true bigs in the B10. Think if we had Brunk, we have at least two more in the win column. 

26 minutes ago, madmax said:

He didn’t have a huge game statistically, but Leal’s 3 was enormous. Geronimo was great obviously. Lander gave good minutes too. Everyone played their part.Cant say enough about this win. Let’s hope it duplicates.

Freshman hitting a dagger to tie the game on the road at a top 5 team, when we looked dead in the water just moments earlier? Yeah, that shot took some massive stones. 

Agree on Brunk, on good defense, on better overall play and on terrible FT shooting.  It has already cost some games and probably should have tonight also.  That said, a few tough losses but the one that irks me the most was Purdue.  They can’t shoot threes except one crazy game against IU.  Even the other night when they beat Ill, they were something like 3 for 18.  Lucky game for them.

13 minutes ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Arch seems to have him Pegged as the favorite ALL AROUND freshman but to your point I think arch ( Even though I’ve been hard on him this year ) ,showed in the Wisconsin game where he took a little used leal and played him most of galloways minutes and then a little used Geronimo tonight and played him big minutes, he has a knack for picking good spots to lend to success or let the freshman rise to the occasion those were great confidence builders for those two and will pay huge dividends next year 

Leal is a person who I wish he had the confidence of Lander. I thought after his game against Wisconsin he would shoot more and become more aggressive and he’s still the same. He shouldn’t be because he is the one player who when we are trailing by 6 or 7 should be in the game and Archie says to him before entering the game. Leal get open and shoot. Don’t hesitate. 

Archived