Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
41 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Figured I'd mosey over to check on the Iowa boards.  The title of their game thread from last night?

***Official "I Wish Alford Was Still Playing So We Could Kick His Red and White Striped Pants Wearing Ass" Game Thread*** | HawkeyeNation.com Forum

Love the thread. And how they were complaining about the refs. They are bad in every game. But Garza gets away with murder EVERY game. And travels 10 times a game.  Most of the posters giving iu credit tho. Funny seeing them complain about the same stuff we do and they are 12-3 and we’re 9-6. Saying how athletic we are. Which we are against Iowa lol. Oh college basketball what a tease you are...

7 hours ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I'm just seeing a lot of optimism on this board after one big win.. I hope no one on here gets their hopes up or heart broken if this team decides to lay a few eggs over the next two weeks. I hope it doesn't happen but not getting too ahead of myself with this team and Archie at the realm. 

Have you not been here very long? Our scale on the board stretches from potential national title contender to a bunch of dudes ages 24-??? on suicide watch!

30 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

Love the thread. And how they were complaining about the refs. They are bad in every game. But Garza gets away with murder EVERY game. And travels 10 times a game.  Most of the posters giving iu credit tho. Funny seeing them complain about the same stuff we do and they are 12-3 and we’re 9-6. Saying how athletic we are. Which we are against Iowa lol. Oh college basketball what a tease you are...

The sequence when I think it was TJD got called for a foul when Garza went over his back was an amazing feat.  Then one offensive possession probably around 4 or 5 to play.  Our guy drives left, gets fouled twice, it quickly goes the other way, then possibly the biggest charge in American basketball history is called a block on Al.  Or the time when Garza pushed Geronimo off of him and Geronimo gets called for a foul.  That was sweet too.  

1 hour ago, dwtaylor1055 said:

If you lose to Rutgers this win mean nothing.  We are 9-6 now with 11 games to go, we got to get 5, maybe 6 wins at a min down the stretch.  That pushes us to say 14-12 with 5 wins, win a game or two in the Big Ten tourney and we move to say 16-13 while finishing at or dang close to .500 in conference play.  

With the stretch we have left it will require effort like last night EVERY night 

Just starting this thread.  Gonna work my way all the way through.  I hope I have been called out a couple times at least!  I love when I am wrong about us winning/losing!  Gonna read posts soon, but in the meantime, what team defense!  Love that Geronimo pleasantly surprised me.  Al and Rob looking better than the ranking I am always saying about them!  Great time to look like I know nothing about bball.  I'll take it!  Now can we beat Rutgers twice?  NW?  MSU?  I'm still skeptical on how consistent we'll be, but my ultimate hope is that I am so wrong and we finish .500 in the conference and all is good!

9 hours ago, go_iu_bb said:

They won this despite TJD and Thompson both being in foul trouble. That's really impressive to me.

Miller did a good job getting players in to the game and then continuing to play lineups that were working.

This is such a huge point.  Really remarkable that we overcame that.  

9 hours ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

I’m not necessarily sold after a big win or a big loss either way but I’ll say you’re correct ....arch does have a knack for it , he picks This game to give Geronimo his heavy minutes and he shines ....picked leal to suddenly throw into heavy minutes at Wisconsin and he looked great ...arch finds spots for guys to be successful 

This is ultimately how I have always felt.  I don't think 1 game makes me ready to fire a coach or 1 big win makes me sold that all is well, but this sure gives me more hope.  

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

It just seems like this IU team plays more comfortable on the road than they do at home.  In all the true road games I thought they played pretty well despite losing 3 road games.  I know this year is different because of no fans but a thome they don't seem to come out and play with as much emotion.

This is so strange.  My son was saying the same thing last night.  Maybe because we don't have the home crowd to lift us and the road doesn't have the crowd to rattle us, but shouldn't we still be more comfortable on our floor and our home routine with no travel?  Maybe being mostly young, there is more excitement to travel to different places?  I know my son who plays high school ball kind of feels that way.  

Have to admit, even with the Ls recently, I've felt like Gene Hackman when he realizes the boys are finally starting to get it. What I'm seeing is a team that is starting to really gel defensively, that can get open looks on offense and simply lacks confidence shooting (particularly someone like RP), and last night was a good start at building that confidence (well, except at the FT line ... WTH is up with that?). Last night also showed that CAM can coach, and that our future, despite some recruiting misses, looks pretty bright. Leal hit a big 3, Geronimo was fantastic (that touch pass was a thing of beauty), Lander got some minutes, and we've also got a really solid player in Trey, and that doesn't even touch on the other guys who will be back as upperclassmen. Seeing improved play across the board.

The B1G season is a grind, so I'm not expecting this every single night, but it's good to see that the potential is certainly there and being realized.

I said at the beginning of the season that the most important player on this team was Rob. And I’m still sticking to that. When Rob plays confident and aggressive we are a different team. 

In addition to that....

I’m glad we got a glimpse of Geronimo can do. I don’t expect it on a nightly basis but hopefully he turned a corner. 

I’m glad Race just BATTLED last night. Garza looked like he had enough; it looked like he wanted to go to bed in the final minutes of the game and call it a night. 

I’m glad Al hounded Bohannon. Still drives me crazy with some of his ‘passes to nobody’ but great game on defense. 

Last, I’m glad CAM had the guys ready and was able to turn things around after it looked like Iowa was getting anything they wanted in the first half. Happy for him, he needed that one. 

Offense definitely seemed more free flowing last night and players were acting confident to take the shot. They seemed to play off the feel instead of acting like they hope they don’t screw something up. It was said on here that maybe Archie has them kind of afraid to play freely since they seem to take it up slow and always look over to the bench to see what they are supposed to do. Last night wasn’t like that. We seemed to bring the ball up with more purpose and the offense didn’t seem as a strict script. If this was a matter of Archie finally letting the guys play more open and freely on offense then heck yes, because it worked, and hopefully it gives us more confidence on offense moving forward. 

9 hours ago, IU Scott said:

Some stats

FG% 26-53 49.1%

3pt% 8-17 47.1%

FT% 21-35 60%

Assists 15

TO's 8

In the last 2:00 Phinisee, Durham, and Franklin went 12-14 from the line. That was huge. If you do the math (I did) that puts the team at 9-21 (43%) for the first 38 minutes. 

45 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

The sequence when I think it was TJD got called for a foul when Garza went over his back was an amazing feat.  Then one offensive possession probably around 4 or 5 to play.  Our guy drives left, gets fouled twice, it quickly goes the other way, then possibly the biggest charge in American basketball history is called a block on Al.  Or the time when Garza pushed Geronimo off of him and Geronimo gets called for a foul.  That was sweet too.  

I don't think Al was set, but other than that, I completely agree. The foul on Franklin where there dude cross checked him in the post was unbelievable.

This was definitely not Jeromes best game overall and he had a few lapses on defense but I very much appreciate his intensity down low in the fact that he contests and challenges every shot down low. Seems he gets a help side block or two every game now. You can see some of his athleticism over the past few games. With dunks blocks and getting up for rebounds. 

3 minutes ago, BeerBQ said:

In the last 2:00 Phinisee, Durham, and Franklin went 12-14 from the line. That was huge. If you do the bath (I did) that puts the team at 9-21 (43%) for the first 38 minutes. 

Yep. 9-21 and at that point I'm trying to do everything I can not to send my phone into the tv screen. Phenomenal finish at the line.  These are the types of wins that stick out on resume later in year. 

As others have said. Never get high/low after big win or loss...and every game doesn't need to be a referendum on the state of the program and IU as a whole. 

Next up Rutgers. They beat Purdue and Illinois. So if we don't bring the energy to an early Sunday game....we'll lose.

Great win and great effort. All the things that have been pointed out on this thread.

Don't know if it's already be mentioned, but I think it was really a break that the MSU game was postponed. TJD  said in post-game that after the Purdue loss, this was really a lost team. The time off gave them a chance for a re-set. If they had played flat against MSU and lost, this season could have augured into the ground.

Archived