Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

So although I think people fluctuate way too much from too low after one loss to too high after 1win... I will play the optimistic viewpoint game... Rutgers is really spiraling downward.  Logically, we could have expectations to win those 2.  NW pretty much is as well.  MSU twice doesn't look all that scary.  Maybe we'll beat Purdouche one of these days.  That would be 6 more wins, and really a pretty solid season overall.  Thing is, as shown last night along with how we have looked vs the lower level B1G teams, logic doesn't mean much.  We'll probably lose all of those games and beat Mich, Illini, OSU, and MN.  Gonna be a crazy ride.  Here's to hoping I continue to be wrong!

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

It's honestly hard to take someone seriously that wants someone like Alford at IU. What's attractive about him? Is it the mediocre resume or the fact that he sides with rapists?

Hmm supposedly sided with a rapist 19 years ago? He was just defending his own player because you’re innocent until proven guilty.. 

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Hmm supposedly sided with a rapist 19 years ago? He was just defending his own player because you’re innocent until proven guilty.. 

Ignoring his stint at Iowa, UCLA fans hated him as coach and was hoping IU would hire him in 2017. His best year was led by Lonzo Ball and besides his admittedly great recruiting for a bit he provided nothing to me that demonstrated that he could be a great coach at the power 5 level. He’s at Nevada for a reason and it’s not because he’s crushed it as a head coach. 

10 hours ago, IU Scott said:

So where were you after the Purdue game and this whole week.  Everyone on here was very upset and questioning Archie.  Just think we could enjoy a win and not have a negative tone.

I’ve been fed up with Archie way before that Purdue loss.. I wasn’t on here because it wasn’t worth my time. I’m on here right now just to see how optimistic everyone is going to be after one big win. 

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Your comment here shows you didn't follow that when it was going on. Alford's conduct was grossly wrong. 

Yeah because I was 4 years old at the time.. didn’t stop the most prestigious college program from hiring him.. along with a few others. Sorry but I’m not going to hold some past mistake that happened 19 years against him.. time to move on. If the guy can win which his resume clearly shows it.. then why not hire him? Guy understands IU basketball.. plain and simple.. and he’ll recruit the s*** out of Indiana and elsewhere! 

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Yeah because I was 4 years old at the time.. didn’t stop the most prestigious college program from hiring him.. along with a few others. Sorry but I’m not going to hold some past mistake that happened 19 years against him.. time to move on. If the guy can win which his resume clearly shows it.. then why not hire him? Guy understands IU basketball.. plain and simple.. and he’ll recruit the s*** out of Indiana and elsewhere! 

Please explain to me why he’s not at UCLA right now

9 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Ignoring his stint at Iowa, UCLA fans hated him as coach and was hoping IU would hire him in 2017. His best year was led by Lonzo Ball and besides his admittedly great recruiting for a bit he provided nothing to me that demonstrated that he could be a great coach at the power 5 level. He’s at Nevada for a reason and it’s not because he’s crushed it as a head coach. 

He won at Southwest Missouri state with dogs*** and he was never an Iowa guy to begin with and I can’t imagine how hard it is to get guys to come to Iowa.. also being at UCLA is very hard.. PAC 12 basketball is terrible and they don’t play any defense out there.. all the guys he recruited only cared about getting to the league.. I think if he was in the right situation (Indiana).. then he would be very successful! 

15 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Mediocre resume?! His career record as a coach is 538 - 286. That’s .653% 

Yes, he has a mediocre resume. He's been a Power 5 coach for 14 seasons and has never won a regular season conference title and he's missed the tournament half of the time. Why pay Archie a big buyout to get that?

10 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

There was nothing supposed about who he sided with. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't mean you do what he did; he used religion to try and pressure the girl to drop charges. What the hell does that have to do with innocent until proven guilty? He's a POS. 

Just now, Jackson Kellogs said:

He won at Southwest Missouri state with dogs*** and he was never an Iowa guy to begin with and I can’t imagine how hard it is to get guys to come to Iowa.. also being at UCLA is very hard.. PAC 12 basketball is terrible and they don’t play any defense out there.. all the guys he recruited only cared about getting to the league.. I think if he was in the right situation (Indiana).. then he would be very successful! 

Not to mention I’m sure he was felt a different kind of pressure to get those type of players. He would get the right guys at IU. 

3 hours ago, tdhoosier said:

I said at the beginning of the season that the most important player on this team was Rob. And I’m still sticking to that. When Rob plays confident and aggressive we are a different team. 

In addition to that....

I’m glad we got a glimpse of Geronimo can do. I don’t expect it on a nightly basis but hopefully he turned a corner. 

I’m glad Race just BATTLED last night. Garza looked like he had enough; it looked like he wanted to go to bed in the final minutes of the game and call it a night. 

I’m glad Al hounded Bohannon. Still drives me crazy with some of his ‘passes to nobody’ but great game on defense. 

Last, I’m glad CAM had the guys ready and was able to turn things around after it looked like Iowa was getting anything they wanted in the first half. Happy for him, he needed that one. 

Phinisee is important but a big concern I have about him is FT shooting. He's a mediocre FT (career 67.7%) who has shown he can shoot better than that by shooting 72.5% last season. This season he's pretty bad at 62.1%. That in itself is concerning but what really gets to me is when he misses. In multiple games, including last night, he has gone to the line in crunch time and missed both FT. 

His defense really helps the team but missing 2 FT down the stretch can really hurt. Granted, he's not the only one shooting FT poorly but he seems to be the one who most consistently misses near the end of the game. Maybe it's due to tired legs from everything else he's been doing the rest of the game, I don't know.

1 minute ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Got it. So it’s a list of wild generalizations and excuses of why Alford failed at 3 of his last 4 destinations. I’m not saying Archie is definitely the guy but firing him for a coach who is incredibly unimpressive would be so stupid. 

8 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Wait.... you're 22 years old and want Alford? That's honestly shocking.... Remove the fact that he played for IU well before you were born, why do you want him? 

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

Yes, he has a mediocre resume. He's been a Power 5 coach for 14 seasons and has never won a regular season conference title and he's missed the tournament half of the time. Why pay Archie a big buyout to get that?

There was nothing supposed about who he sided with. Innocent until proven guilty doesn't mean you do what he did; he used religion to try and pressure the girl to drop charges. What the hell does that have to do with innocent until proven guilty? He's a POS. 

Once again sounds like he made a mistake.. we all have.. but does that mean we don’t get any other chances lol! 19 years ago dude 

Archived