Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

Just now, Jackson Kellogs said:

Once again sounds like he made a mistake.. we all have.. but does that mean we don’t get any other chances lol! 19 years ago dude 

No, his initial comments were a mistake. The fact that he continued with it and pressured the girl to drop charges using religion goes well beyond a mistake. That's purposeful and shows intent and not something I have any interest in having around Indiana. 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Got it. So it’s a list of wild generalizations and excuses of why Alford failed at 3 of his last 4 destinations. I’m not saying Archie is definitely the guy but firing him for a coach who is incredibly unimpressive would be so stupid. 

I want an Indiana guy who truly understands the program.. plain and simple.. don’t give a sh×+ about where he’s been in the past and his resume.. he would be a great fit specifically at IU. 

Edit: please watch the language. 

-blue

1 minute ago, KoB2011 said:

No, his initial comments were a mistake. The fact that he continued with it and pressured the girl to drop charges using religion goes well beyond a mistake. That's purposeful and shows intent and not something I have any interest in having around Indiana. 

Oh yeah that’s right.. forgot we live in that kind of society now lol.. let’s just cancel anyone who’s had any sort of wrong doings from the past.. 

Oh yeah that’s right.. forgot we live in that kind of society now lol.. let’s just cancel anyone who’s had any sort of wrong doings from the past.. 

Yes, what he did falls into the very general "any kind of wrong doings" category. If you're going to take on a guy with some ugly warts, why take on an exceptionally average coach? 

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I want an Indiana guy who truly understands the program.. plain and simple.. don’t give a shit about where he’s been in the past and his resume.. he would be a great fit specifically at IU. 

Cool. We can hire me to run the program then. I went to IU and I think I understand the program pretty well. And who cares about resumes right?

1 minute ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Yeah because I was 4 years old at the time.. didn’t stop the most prestigious college program from hiring him.. along with a few others. Sorry but I’m not going to hold some past mistake that happened 19 years against him.. time to move on. If the guy can win which his resume clearly shows it.. then why not hire him? Guy understands IU basketball.. plain and simple.. and he’ll recruit the s*** out of Indiana and elsewhere! 

Thought so. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're getting a lot of push back for good reason. His resume is not exceptional. He was fired by UCLA for a reason. If you just want to look at his overall record, it's kind of like Crean's (fwiw) -- 1 SW 16 at SW Missouri, 2 first round exits and 1 second round exits from the tourney at Iowa (3 NIT's), which is obviously worse than Crean, roughly the same at NM, 3 SW16's, a 1st round exit and 2 missed tourneys at UCLA. In 2015-16 UCLA finished 15-17, then only the 4th time in UCLA's history it had finished with a losing record. The next season he had Ball as a frosh along with TJ Leaf and got to the SW16. Then they lost the next season in a first-four in game. Then in 2018 as UCLA lost repeatedly by huge numbers he publicly blamed his players. Then he was canned. And at Nevada? In fairness, he's had an up and down record, again, kind of like Crean, when he had the talent, followed by horrible basketball and public blaming of players, and his lack of ethics in coaching at Iowa were clear. People here are saying they'd be done with IU if IU were to hire him (IU won't), for good reason. 

2 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I want an Indiana guy who truly understands the program.. plain and simple.. don’t give a shit about where he’s been in the past and his resume.. he would be a great fit specifically at IU. 

So advocate for Cheaney or Dane Fife. 

Alford is a mediocre coach that hasn't taken a team as deep into the tournament as Archie has, has been fired from two power 5 jobs for subpar performance and (by accounts of people from the state of Indiana) is a douchebag. 

The day Steve Alford coaches IU is the day I'll wipe my...posterior..with my pair of candystriped pants. 

2 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thought so. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're getting a lot of push back for good reason. His resume is not exceptional. He was fired by UCLA for a reason. If you just want to look at his overall record, it's kind of like Crean's (fwiw) -- 1 SW 16 at SW Missouri, 2 first round exits and 1 second round exits from the tourney at Iowa (3 NIT's), which is obviously worse than Crean, roughly the same at NM, 3 SW16's, a 1st round exit and 2 missed tourneys at UCLA. In 2015-16 UCLA finished 15-17, then only the 4th time in UCLA's history it had finished with a losing record. The next season he had Ball as a frosh along with TJ Leaf and got to the SW16. Then they lost the next season in a first-four in game. Then in 2018 as UCLA lost repeatedly by huge numbers he publicly blamed his players. Then he was canned. And at Nevada? In fairness, he's had an up and down record, again, kind of like Crean, when he had the talent, followed by horrible basketball and public blaming of players, and his lack of ethics in coaching at Iowa were clear. People here are saying they'd be done with IU if IU were to hire him (IU won't), for good reason. 

Who’s to say he wouldn’t win at IU that’s my point. Can’t be any worse than what we have now! 

Hell he could be for all we know. I am not the only one with this opinion either. 

Yeah, and I could be engaging in three way coitus tonight with Kate Mara and Margot Robbie.  Could does not mean likely.  And the likelihood of Steve Alford winning a national title at IU is only marginally better than me engaging in the aforementioned tryst. 

Also, you might not be the only one with that opinion, but you're one of very few.  15 years ago, you'd have been far from alone. 

7 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So advocate for Cheaney or Dane Fife. 

Alford is a mediocre coach that hasn't taken a team as deep into the tournament as Archie has, has been fired from two power 5 jobs for subpar performance and (by accounts of people from the state of Indiana) is a douchebag. 

The day Steve Alford coaches IU is the day I'll wipe my...posterior..with my pair of candystriped pants. 

Not saying it should happen immediately... but if it did ....would anyone else love John belien with Dane as assistant / coach In waiting ?

Just now, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

Not saying it should happen immediately... but if it did ....would anyone else love John belien with Dane as assistant / coach In waiting ?

Just from a pragmatic standpoint, why would Fife leave MSU for anything but a comparable head coaching position? He's the default successor to Izzo already.  Why make a lateral move?

1 minute ago, IU/Butler/Notre Dame said:

NNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNNOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!
Belien is too old and Dane Fife would not come here as an assistant. He is already a coach in waiting. 

3 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Hell he could be for all we know. I am not the only one with this opinion either. 

I know the Alfords (played baseball for Steve's dad..One of my favorite people) love the Alfords, but even I don't think Steve would be an upgrade from what we have...

Hold on, young fella...it's gonna get fun..

Just now, IUFLA said:

I know the Alfords (played baseball for Steve's dad..One of my favorite people) love the Alfords, but even I don't think Steve would be an upgrade from what we have...

Hold on, young fella...it's gonna get fun..

Well crap.. if y’all feel that strongly about it then I’ll take your word for it.. like I said I hope this team gets it together and I want major success.. if little Arch can turn it around then I would be very happy to keep him.. but he has a lot of ground the make up! Guess we’ll see how the rest of this season plays out. 

24 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Phinisee is important but a big concern I have about him is FT shooting. He's a mediocre FT (career 67.7%) who has shown he can shit better than that by shooting 72.5% last season. This season he's pretty bad at 62.1%. 

Time for Rob to switch back to the laxative he used last season. :coffee:

Archived