Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

21 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I want an Indiana guy who truly understands the program.. plain and simple.. don’t give a sh×+ about where he’s been in the past and his resume.. he would be a great fit specifically at IU. 

Edit: please watch the language. 

-blue

Based upon your requirements I am more than qualified. If the position opens may I use you as a reference? 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
23 minutes ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

Oh yeah that’s right.. forgot we live in that kind of society now lol.. let’s just cancel anyone who’s had any sort of wrong doings from the past.. 

Cancel or not....he is in the unique position where the most important job is to lead other people's children into professional life. Like it or not character matters to parents of a recruit. At least he apologized for it.....10 years later.  I wouldn't want my kid to play for him, that's just my opinion. I don't think i'd be alone in that matter. I'm not saying he should be 'cancelled' or not be allowed to coach. I'm saying I don't want that cloud over our programs head and I'd have a hard time rooting for the guy. 

5 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I know the Alfords (played baseball for Steve's dad..One of my favorite people) love the Alfords, but even I don't think Steve would be an upgrade from what we have...

Hold on, young fella...it's gonna get fun..

I met Coach Alford several times while officiating at New Castle. Coach Sam was a true gentleman and a class act. He always spent some time with us in the locker room before the game. 

23 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Thought so. You're entitled to your opinion, but you're getting a lot of push back for good reason. His resume is not exceptional. He was fired by UCLA for a reason. If you just want to look at his overall record, it's kind of like Crean's (fwiw) -- 1 SW 16 at SW Missouri, 2 first round exits and 1 second round exits from the tourney at Iowa (3 NIT's), which is obviously worse than Crean, roughly the same at NM, 3 SW16's, a 1st round exit and 2 missed tourneys at UCLA. In 2015-16 UCLA finished 15-17, then only the 4th time in UCLA's history it had finished with a losing record. The next season he had Ball as a frosh along with TJ Leaf and got to the SW16. Then they lost the next season in a first-four in game. Then in 2018 as UCLA lost repeatedly by huge numbers he publicly blamed his players. Then he was canned. And at Nevada? In fairness, he's had an up and down record, again, kind of like Crean, when he had the talent, followed by horrible basketball and public blaming of players, and his lack of ethics in coaching at Iowa were clear. People here are saying they'd be done with IU if IU were to hire him (IU won't), for good reason. 

Also getting pushback because guys like me have already been down this road and some posters on here feel so strongly that they know all the behind the scene details so well that only they know how evil Steve Alford is, so there's no point in jumping in to defend the other side.  It's an old argument.  I worry more about his coaching ability than saying he is a terrible person for that incident 19 years ago.  To be fair, I don't think he is the guy though.  

26 minutes ago, Zlinedavid said:

So advocate for Cheaney or Dane Fife. 

Alford is a mediocre coach that hasn't taken a team as deep into the tournament as Archie has, has been fired from two power 5 jobs for subpar performance and (by accounts of people from the state of Indiana) is a douchebag. 

The day Steve Alford coaches IU is the day I'll wipe my...posterior..with my pair of candystriped pants. 

I don't think Alford is the answer, but I also don't think guys with no head coaching experience, but are considered nicer guys than Steve are the answer either.  

1 minute ago, NCHoosier32 said:

I don't think Alford is the answer, but I also don't think guys with no head coaching experience, but are considered nicer guys than Steve are the answer either.  

That was kind of my point.  We know the results Alford has produced and the odds of them being significantly different here are slim.  If you're going to advocate for an Indiana guy, at least pick one that is still fairly well thought of and has a blank slate. 

8 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

LOL, yes get a big win and completely lay an egg the very next game!!!  IMO, we got very lucky Iowa shot very poorly and I dont think it had anything to do with our poor D?

So our defense gets blamed when a team hits their shots but don't get any credit when teams miss.

1 hour ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I’ve been fed up with Archie way before that Purdue loss.. I wasn’t on here because it wasn’t worth my time. I’m on here right now just to see how optimistic everyone is going to be after one big win. 

Maybe it would be better if you stayed away.  Most people are here win or lose and don't just come to put a damper on a big win

1 hour ago, Hippopotamo said:

Cool. We can hire me to run the program then. I went to IU and I think I understand the program pretty well. And who cares about resumes right?

I know what IU basketball is all about by watching it for 45 years so sign me up.  It cracks me up some 23 year old trying to tell us what IU basketball is all about and he hasn't seen anything good from IU basketball.

1 hour ago, Zlinedavid said:

So advocate for Cheaney or Dane Fife. 

Alford is a mediocre coach that hasn't taken a team as deep into the tournament as Archie has, has been fired from two power 5 jobs for subpar performance and (by accounts of people from the state of Indiana) is a douchebag. 

The day Steve Alford coaches IU is the day I'll wipe my...posterior..with my pair of candystriped pants. 

I take Keith Smart if it is a former IU player

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I know what IU basketball is all about by watching it for 45 years so sign me up.  It cracks me up some 23 year old trying to tell us what IU basketball is all about and he hasn't seen anything good from IU basketball.

23 year olds are allowed to have opinions too. 

Archived