Iowa Postgame Thread

KDB

Another thing I forgot to mention. I think the most important play of the game was the corner 3 that brought are lead up to 5. (Can’t remember if it was Rob or Armaan)

These last few weeks it seems like every time IU gets the lead in a competitive game they can’t capitalize on it. They can never get that shot in to extend the lead after they take it.....the dagger that kills the other team’s confidence. It looked like Iowa called it in mentally after that shot went down. 

• Replies 391
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Another thing I forgot to mention. I think the most important play of the game was the corner 3 that brought are lead up to 5. (Can’t remember if it was Rob or Armaan)

These last few weeks it seems like every time IU gets the lead in a competitive game they can’t capitalize on it. They can never get that shot in to extend the lead after they take it.....the dagger that kills the other team’s confidence. It looked like Iowa called it in mentally after that shot went down. 

Armaan...

4 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Great win and great effort. All the things that have been pointed out on this thread.

Don't know if it's already be mentioned, but I think it was really a break that the MSU game was postponed. TJD  said in post-game that after the Purdue loss, this was really a lost team. The time off gave them a chance for a re-set. If they had played flat against MSU and lost, this season could have augured into the ground.

Yep and whatever the guys did they need to bottle it up and drink it every game. 8-17 from 3. They were 5-23. Usually that stat line is reversed. 

3 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Just now, IUFLA said:

Armaan...

With the assist from Rob

8 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

I will add Leal's 3. I believe it either tied the score or gave IU their first lead in the 2nd half. The bench exploded and TJD was fist pumping running back on defense.

One other thing...All of the freshmen looked like they were letting the game come to them...Even Khristian...

Don't try to "make plays" on your own...Work within the framework of the offense and defense, and when the opportunity arises, make good on it...

All 3 did a good job in that department...

42 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

Have to admit, even with the Ls recently, I've felt like Gene Hackman when he realizes the boys are finally starting to get it. What I'm seeing is a team that is starting to really gel defensively, that can get open looks on offense and simply lacks confidence shooting (particularly someone like RP), and last night was a good start at building that confidence (well, except at the FT line ... WTH is up with that?). Last night also showed that CAM can coach, and that our future, despite some recruiting misses, looks pretty bright. Leal hit a big 3, Geronimo was fantastic (that touch pass was a thing of beauty), Lander got some minutes, and we've also got a really solid player in Trey, and that doesn't even touch on the other guys who will be back as upperclassmen. Seeing improved play across the board.

The B1G season is a grind, so I'm not expecting this every single night, but it's good to see that the potential is certainly there and being realized.

I totally agree and the one thing that’s been sorely missing from our last ten years of recruiting is the emphasis on basketball players ....there has been a premium on athletes and fundamentals and shooting are secondary ....leal and Galloway arent UNathletic ...but they are definitely  basketball players.  With that group getting a free fifth year leal and Galloway are the type that as upperclassman you can have a two or three Uber athletic kids and you can count on Anthony and trey to handle and value the ball , calm us down in pressure situations, be aggressive and hard nosed defenders , provide leadership , and step up in big moments for big shots, most importantly always play 100% with passion.  That I’m excited about !  and the fifth year is a darn good thing cause 2021 is the first in-state class arch has whiffed on 

7 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

One other thing...All of the freshmen looked like they were letting the game come to them...Even Khristian...

Don't try to "make plays" on your own...Work within the framework of the offense and defense, and when the opportunity arises, make good on it...

All 3 did a good job in that department...

This has been such a big Achilles heel of this team. Turnovers doing foolish things trying to do too much. Passing up good looks only to run the shot clock down and have to force up a shot.

Work within the offense and take a good shot before you are "forced" to. Get the ball down low and let it work from there

18 minutes ago, tdhoosier said:

Yes, and if my memory serves Hunter had a wide open 3 on the next possession after Leal tied it and missed. I made a mental note of it because it felt like such a huge missed opportunity. Credit to our guys for putting their foot on Iowa’s throat and extending the lead, which we’ve been unable to do most of the year.

1 minute ago, madmax said:

Yes, and if my memory serves Hunter had a wide open 3 on the next possession after Leal tied it and missed. I made a mental note of it because it felt like such a huge missed opportunity. Credit to our guys for putting their foot on Iowa’s throat and extending the lead, which we’ve been unable to do most of the year.

If I'm remembering the right shot.....that was actually a really good attempt. A little early in the shot clock but he was wide open. We want Jerome taking that shot. 

Just now, tdhoosier said:

If I'm remembering the right shot.....that was actually a really good attempt. A little early in the shot clock but he was wide open. We want Jerome taking that shot. 

Yep...It was a good look...

I know a lot of people think Jerome had a subpar game, but he did make a couple of good plays...He was back to showing a toughness around the rim after kinda letting that slip during the Purdue game...

9 hours ago, KoB2011 said:

I think this was pretty clearly the best win of Archie's tenure and it was a pretty clear contrast to the Purdue game, but the question is which team is the real Indiana basketball team?

When I look at how we played tonight, in Madison, in Tallahassee, and in Champaign I tend to think we have a really tough team that can beat anyone on any given night and the Purdue game (and probably NU) was an abberation. 

I said after Purdue that if we lost to Purdue again and missed the tournament I would be okay with moving on, and I meant it, but I also think when you dig into this team it's yet another step forward this year and a team that should be a really tough out as a 7ish seed. 

This team and this program and slowly but steadily heading in the right direction IMO. 

I can get on board with that as long as we pull out several more wins like that the rest of the year.  We have 11 more games.  One win is great but if we go 2 and 9 over the next 11 then I don't see that as a step forward.

Miller has 11 games this year and next season to show he is the guy for this job.  He won't be fired after this year.  It is up to him and the team to show that they are progressing by notching some more W's this year.  Find a way to win 5 or 6 of the next 11 and he is on much more solid footing heading into next year.

Gee.  I think I've figured out what the key to our play is - whether I see the game live or not.  I had to missed the game last night and also missed (forgot) the Wisconsin game.  Maybe I will just start watching via DVR from now on and hope that is the solution 😄.

Now I've got something to look forward to today without any chance of being disappointed. win-win!

9 hours ago, Jackson Kellogs said:

I don't agree.. one game doesn't save anything. This ball club could easily come out and lose the next four for all we know.. I think it's fair to say that they are incredibly inconsistent. 

Exactly.  It's a great start, but we have a tough tough road ahead.  Doesn't mean we are counting enough wins to finish .500 just yet.  

3 major points to this game.

1.  Rob is player of the game for making Bohannan uncomfortable all night and he went 0 for whatever, unheard of by him

2.  WiesKamp scoring only 1 point in the second half, KUDOS to Franklin for quieting him in the second half

3.  We got some luck and they lost Fredrickson for the second half, so they lost their best 3 point shooter

Out defense won this game.

Do we still have areas to improve on, yup, still there.   But we went on the road, played tough, played hard, and did what we needed to do to win.  Next we have to do this every night.  Against every team.  Go IU.

Iowa, with the No. 1 adjusted offense in the country, didn’t make a basket on 18 consecutive possessions after taking a 53-44 lead with 12 minutes to go. Now, there were some free throws sprinkled in there ... but Iowa missed 12 straight shot attempts and committed four turnovers in that defining stretch.

“Our man wasn’t good. We went to the zone; they were destroying it,” Wieskamp said.  They were killing us in the paint, then kicking it out for 3s as well and knocking down shots. Credit to them.”

Iowa coach Fran McCaffery didn’t sugar-coat his analysis.

“They were tougher than we were tonight, I thought,” he said. “And that's disappointing.”

Indiana gained momentum in the second half and Iowa — despite playing just one game last week and one this week — ran out of steam.

20 minutes ago, ephul said:

This has been such a big Achilles heel of this team. Turnovers doing foolish things trying to do too much. Passing up good looks only to run the shot clock down and have to force up a shot.

Work within the offense and take a good shot before you are "forced" to. Get the ball down low and let it work from there

Yes, Geronimo in particular was really good last night.  He played terrific D on NPOY candidate when TJD and Thompson got into foul trouble.  Having the freshmen start to blossom would be really nice heading into the back end of the year.

Iowa had the best offense in the country. Indiana's defense was in the midst of a protracted decline.

Through 28 minutes on Thursday night, IU was hanging around but things seemed to be going according to plan.

49 minutes ago, Hoosierfan1215 said:

This was definitely not Jeromes best game overall and he had a few lapses on defense but I very much appreciate his intensity down low in the fact that he contests and challenges every shot down low. Seems he gets a help side block or two every game now. You can see some of his athleticism over the past few games. With dunks blocks and getting up for rebounds. 

His athleticism and length on the boards is huge.  He seems to never lose on a second or third jump.  Hopefully his regained athleticism continues to grow.  Even his misses on 3's came within the flow of the offense, and his form looks solid.

1 minute ago, Hoosierinbham said:

His athleticism and length on the boards is huge.  He seems to never lose on a second or third jump.  Hopefully his regained athleticism continues to grow.  Even his misses on 3's came within the flow of the offense, and his form looks solid.

But he makes god awful mistakes.  His mental toughness and basketball IQ has to get better.  He can't be a net loss every time he is on the floor.  I just shake my head at time of how lost he get and how he disrupts everything on both sides of the ball.  Like the kid, but step it up young man.

23 minutes ago, IowaHoosierFan said:

3 major points to this game.

1.  Rob is player of the game for making Bohannan uncomfortable all night and he went 0 for whatever, unheard of by him

2.  WiesKamp scoring only 1 point in the second half, KUDOS to Franklin for quieting him in the second half

3.  We got some luck and they lost Fredrickson for the second half, so they lost their best 3 point shooter

Out defense won this game.

Do we still have areas to improve on, yup, still there.   But we went on the road, played tough, played hard, and did what we needed to do to win.  Next we have to do this every night.  Against every team.  Go IU.

Yep ...yep ....yep ....and hell yep

Archived