Jump to content

Geronimo - Killer Instinct


Recommended Posts

Was talking a while back with @BGleas about how the team has been lacking that guy with a killer instinct. We have and have had plenty of talent, we have a beast in TJD, etc. but the raw I'll-get-in-your-face guy, the guy whose energy and will say I am going to close you out, has been missing.

Geronimo looks to have it. Just love his look after this throw-down, says it all.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30756784&ex_cid=espnapi_internal

And a nice article from IDS -- https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/01/iu-iowa-basketball-upset-geronimo

 

 

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

From what we've seen on the couple of games where he has received PT above garbage time, I'm surprised he does not play more.  He can really help on the boards, and can finish at the rim if left unattended.  Also, you could see it in his demeanor last night that he welcomed the challenge of guarding Garza. 

Edited by 5fouls
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Fr3om what we've seen on the couple of games where he has received PT above garbage time, I'm surprised he does not play more.  He can really help on the boards, and can finish at the rim if left unattended.  Also, you could see it in his demeanor last night that he welcomed the challenge of guarding Garza. 

Agree...he plays with an energy and athleticism I haven't really seen on our team since Vic

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

From what we've seen on the couple of games where he has received PT above garbage time, I'm surprised he does not play more.  He can really help on the boards, and can finish at the rim if left unattended.  Also, you could see it in his demeanor last night that he welcomed the challenge of guarding Garza. 

I think what’s kept him from more PT is he’s looked out of place on the court sometimes. I noticed other guys need to tell him where to go on offense and he’s missed some rotations on defense. But he looked incredible yesterday and I hope he gets more minutes going forward. I think he’s proven he can be trusted more on the court. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, dgambill said:

If he zeros in on the defensive side...and on offense be that dive guy...the guy that fills the lane and crashes boards he can be a real asset. If he wants to jack 3s he is going to hurt us.

Agreed.  He should be told 'no threes' unless he's picking up a loose ball with 1 second left on the shot clock.  

Edited by 5fouls
  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

How good was his defense on Garza. Gave up several inches and several pounds and still held his own. Strong kid. 

I’ll say this. He has the charisma and work ethic to be an all time Hoosier favorite if he keeps at it. He was grinning ear to ear last night one second, then got locked in and looked like he wanted to absolutely dominate you on the court the next possession. I don’t like comparing players usually, but it’s obvious what attributes he and another one of the Hoosier greats share....

 


 

 

  • Like 7
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

How good was his defense on Garza. Gave up several inches and several pounds and still held his own. Strong kid. 

I’ll say this. He has the charisma and work ethic to be an all time Hoosier favorite if he keeps at it. He was grinning ear to ear last night one second, then got locked in and looked like he wanted to absolutely dominate you on the court the next possession. I don’t like comparing players usually, but it’s obvious what attributes he and another one of the Hoosier greats share....

 


 

 

He reminds me of a smaller, quicker version of Thomas Bryant. He looks bigger than 6'6",too.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think all of the freshman exhibit an enthusiasm that this team has lacked for a couple of years.

Even Al and Rob, who always had "the cool factor" going are getting caught up in it. Our bench is engaged, and the kids are actually pulling for each other...

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but during a time out TJD was lecturing Jordan on the side...and then after the game in the post game presser Trayce said how proud he was of Geronimo and his defensive effort on Garza...

Edited by IUFLA
  • Like 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

12 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

How good was his defense on Garza. Gave up several inches and several pounds and still held his own. Strong kid. 

I’ll say this. He has the charisma and work ethic to be an all time Hoosier favorite if he keeps at it. He was grinning ear to ear last night one second, then got locked in and looked like he wanted to absolutely dominate you on the court the next possession. I don’t like comparing players usually, but it’s obvious what attributes he and another one of the Hoosier greats share....

 


 

 

Agreed...people kept talking Vic when he was recruited but I’m see OG more...still special though.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

22 minutes ago, RoadToZion said:

How good was his defense on Garza. Gave up several inches and several pounds and still held his own. Strong kid. 

I’ll say this. He has the charisma and work ethic to be an all time Hoosier favorite if he keeps at it. He was grinning ear to ear last night one second, then got locked in and looked like he wanted to absolutely dominate you on the court the next possession. I don’t like comparing players usually, but it’s obvious what attributes he and another one of the Hoosier greats share....

 


 

 

Exactly what I'm talking about. 

It's not that other guys on the team don't have enthusiasm, it's that killer dominating personality. Every team needs that killer instinct guy. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think all of the freshman exhibit and enthusiasm that this team has lacked for a couple of years.

Even Al and Rob, who always had "the cool factor" going are getting caught up in it. Our bench is engaged, and the kids are actually pulling for each other...

I don't know if anyone else saw it, but during a time out TJD was lecturing Jordan on the side...and then after the game in the post game presser Trayce said how proud he was of Geronimo and his defensive effort on Garza...

I saw that, and replayed it to see if I could figure out what Trayce was telling him. Looked like he was doing a little coaching. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

51 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Was talking a while back with @BGleas about how the team has been lacking that guy with a killer instinct. We have and have had plenty of talent, we have a beast in TJD, etc. but the raw I'll-get-in-your-face guy, the guy whose energy and will say I am going to close you out, has been missing.

Geronimo looks to have it. Just love his look after this throw-down, says it all.

https://www.espn.com/video/clip?id=30756784&ex_cid=espnapi_internal

And a nice article from IDS -- https://www.idsnews.com/article/2021/01/iu-iowa-basketball-upset-geronimo

 

 

What sticks out the most to me with Geronimo is that he doesn't look lost when he is out there, exudes confidence and has always earned his minutes. He has the makings of being VERY SCARY to opposing teams.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

What sticks out the most to me with Geronimo is that he doesn't look lost when he is out there, exudes confidence and has always earned his minutes. He has the makings of being VERY SCARY to opposing teams.

Like many frosh he's been having to adjust to the speed of the college game and CAM's offense. But for those who saw what he did to become the NH POY, they know he's not some raw athletic kid who is learning basketball. He is far from just some athletic kid, and we saw that last night. I expect we'll continue to see his game grow with more playing time as CAM brings him along. He's a top flight defender. His offense at the college level is still developing but he does have a jumper. I am looking forward to watching him get integrated into more playing time, that he was able to defend one of the best players in the country right now, coming in with little playing time in a major conference game, says a lot.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

11 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Like many frosh he's been having to adjust to the speed of the college game and CAM's offense. But for those who saw what he did to become the NH POY, they know he's not some raw athletic kid who is learning basketball. He is far from just some athletic kid, and we saw that last night. I expect we'll continue to see his game grow with more playing time as CAM brings him along. He's a top flight defender. His offense at the college level is still developing but he does have a jumper. I am looking forward to watching him get integrated into more playing time, that he was able to defend one of the best players in the country right now, coming in with little playing time in a major conference game, says a lot.

Yep,

His toughness and dunks were great. But his most impressive basketball play was his quick touch pass to TJD for the and 1.

He was in the corner against the zone. The ball was moving, he got it and made a super quick touch pass to Trace cutting down the lane.

It showed great awareness and anticipation. Raw players don't see that.

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Loved Geronimo last night.  This freshman class could be incredible in a year or two.  

Side note, anyone catch Geronimo trying to take just one FT last night?  Stepped up, made the first, and just decided to head backwards towards the other end of the court. Haha, freshman.  The best part was the exchange between him and Race afterwards.  

  • Haha 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

With how thin we are in the post, Geronimo needs to start getting a lot more minutes.  Showed last night that he’s more than capable of manning the four when TJD or Thompson need a breather.

Issue is that Smith also looks to best fit in at the 4. Honestly just about everybody played deserving minutes last night. 
 

Just watched the run we made and man Leal was damn good as well. Kid has a killer instinct that I think we have lacked. 
 

If our Freshmen can develop like Franklin did this last offseason team will be versatile and dangerous next year.  
 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, FW_Hoosier said:

With how thin we are in the post, Geronimo needs to start getting a lot more minutes.  Showed last night that he’s more than capable of manning the four when TJD or Thompson need a breather.

I was a little surprised when he was pulled out after that good stretch to put in Race. Maybe he was tired. Regardless, the decision didn’t back fire, but I just thought CAM was going to run with that line up as long as possible because it was keeping Race and Trayce, who both had 4 fouls, on the bench. 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...