RIP Hammering Hank Aaron

Billingsley99

The most home runs Hank every hit in a single season was 47.  He did that in 1971 at age 37.  Both of those things speak to his longevity.  Think of all the flash in the pans that have hit more than 47 homers over the last 25-30 years.  None will come close to Hank's 715.  And, most will be long gone by age 37.

My friends and I were at this game at the end of 1973. At the time, Aaron was sitting on 710 I believe. Past I think it was 700, anybody who attended a game that Hank homered got a certificate.

We were pissed because he didn't start, but he came up in the 9th as a PH and hit a rocket out to dead center...We were in the loge seating in CF (if you're familiar with the old Riverfront Stadium set up, it was the smaller, middle tier and saw Geronimo sprinting for the wall. I thought I had me a certificate, but we couldn't see the ball after a certain point...Next thing I know, I saw the ball rolling back toward the infield and Hank was coasting into 2nd with a double...Hit the wall about 3/4 of the way up I guess...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

My friends and I were at this game at the end of 1973. At the time, Aaron was sitting on 710 I believe. Past I think it was 700, anybody who attended a game that Hank homered got a certificate.

We were pissed because he didn't start, but he came up in the 9th as a PH and hit a rocket out to dead center...We were in the loge seating in CF (if you're familiar with the old Riverfront Stadium set up, it was the smaller, middle tier and saw Geronimo sprinting for the wall. I thought I had me a certificate, but we couldn't see the ball after a certain point...Next thing I know, I saw the ball rolling back toward the infield and Hank was coasting into 2nd with a double...Hit the wall about 3/4 of the way up I guess...

Was looking at the box and saw Griffey was hitting .407 in Mid-December and thought 'wow', I don't recall him making a run at .400.  Then I looked at his career stats and saw he was a September call-up that season.  Finished at .384, but only 86 at bats.  

Man, I loved Hank Aaron, he was before my time, but I have lived in both Milwaukee and Atlanta, where he was beloved.  I hated when Bonds broke his record, because I didn't think Bonds could carry Hank's jock as a player or a person...still don't.  Hank was not a big guy who played in cavernous stadiums.  How many warning track fly balls did he hit in his career that would be moon shots in stadiums today?  RIP Hank, you held records, but more importantly you held peoples respect and admiration.

19 hours ago, 5fouls said:

The most home runs Hank every hit in a single season was 47.  He did that in 1971 at age 37.  Both of those things speak to his longevity.  Think of all the flash in the pans that have hit more than 47 homers over the last 25-30 years.  None will come close to Hank's 715.  And, most will be long gone by age 37.

Hank was before me but baseball fans always have a way to compare. The biggest thing about Hank to me was when you flipped his baseball card over....the smaller the print the longer the career. Legendary numbers and to me will always be the HR King.

Not comparing Mike Schmidt to him at all....but MS was my first introduction to Mr. 40 dongs and 100 RBI every single season. 

Archived