Rutgers pre game

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, KoB2011 said:

This is a game we really should win, and frankly, a game we need to win if we want to finish over .500 in conference play. 

Not saying we can't get to over .500 without this game, but the path starts to look pretty daunting. 

Can't keep losing home games

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

This is a game we really should win, and frankly, a game we need to win if we want to finish over .500 in conference play. 

Not saying we can't get to over .500 without this game, but the path starts to look pretty daunting. 

Yup. This is the type of game we've lost over the last several years (including the backend of Crean's tenure) which gets the fanbase so frustrated. We beat the #4 team in country at their place and then you have Rutgers at home. You have to win this game, especially with 3 straight vs. ranked teams afterwards. 

This game is the difference between 5th/6th and 9th/10th place. 

11 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Given that we won't play again until a week from Tuesday....no way I want to wait around for 9 days with a loss. Absolute must win for momentum to continue. Sure would be nice to come out hot and cruise instead of having to fight back. 

If we can hold Harper down early, we can get a lead. They go as he goes.

The only other guy that concerns me is Baker. He's their version of Devonte Green. He hasn't had "good Devonte" moments in the games I've seen, so here's hoping that trend continues. Montez Mathis can be that way too...

This is not a good road club. Weren't last year either. 2-8 on the road (11-9 overall in conference) in the B1G last year and 1-3 this year.

Be interesting to see their mindset coming off a loss to PSU.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

If we can hold Harper down early, we can get a lead. They go as he goes.

The only other guy that concerns me is Baker. He's their version of Devonte Green. He hasn't had "good Devonte" moments in the games I've seen, so here's hoping that trend continues. Montez Mathis can be that way too...

This is not a good road club. Weren't last year either. 2-8 on the road (11-9 overall in conference) in the B1G last year and 1-3 this year.

Be interesting to see their mindset coming off a loss to PSU.

Agree...and your last sentence is my biggest concern. Them losing to Penn St, season derailing....maybe we get their absolute best stuff today is my worry. They beat Illinois/Purdue and had 2 point loss to Iowa. So certainly capable. 

5 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Agree...and your last sentence is my biggest concern. Them losing to Penn St, season derailing....maybe we get their absolute best stuff today is my worry. They beat Illinois/Purdue and had 2 point loss to Iowa. So certainly capable. 

I think we've all seen what bad chemistry does to a team. We've dealt with it for a few years, and I think they're dealing with it now. 

Unless some attitudes change really quickly, they're going to continue to struggle.

The 2 kids that DO put winning in front of their numbers seem to be Miles Johnson, and the Mulcahy kid. Both are nice players, but Baker, Young, and Mathis have to acknowledge who "the guy" (Harper) is and adjust their games to get him good looks...

4 minutes ago, Reacher said:

I hope Rutgers doesn't decide to get back on track today. We need to keep winning and building confidence. With a long break after this one, it would be nice to get a double digit win and really turn the corner for this team. 

Play like Thursday and no team is getting back on track vs IU. 

We all fear the hangover, but with a solid response today, hopefully Thursday was THE turning point of the season and possibly Archie’s tenure here.    And to think it all started with the L3al bomb!!

7 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m much more nervous about a game like Rutgers because I’m expecting a win. With Iowa I was just hoping we would play well. 

That's my pessimistic attitude.  I thought we had no chance vs Iowa, but feel like we should win this one.  Would hate for them to cancel each other out.  I have a good feeling about this one which is very strange for me.  

Archived