Why didn't Archie go after McKinley Wright ?

milehiiu

Was a Dayton commit.   Crean brought some of his Marquette recruits to IU.  Any one know why Archie didn't go after McKinley ?

I have been watching Wright all season.  And I must say.... IMHO he would have been a difference maker for our Hoosiers this year.

The future of Colorado basketball is in McKinley Wright’s hands

Thanks for the info.  I did not realize he was doing so well so thanks for bringing it to our attention.  Archie obviously liked him and spotted the talent.

That last spot went to Race which brought us a big guy for the future.  I don’t think that Race spot opened until Gelon left in May.  Correct me if I’m wrong but McKinley came off the board before that.  

As the scholly count was being worked out, there was buzz that we liked McKinley.  But Archie was quoted as saying he hoped Wright honored Dayton.  So, another factor may have been Archie’s reluctance to poach a player from Dayton, a school that was good to him and to whom he was loyal.  But, who knows,  if he had more schollies open, the way Crean did, he may have taken him.  It’s hard to say. 

Suffice it to say, I doubt it was a talent issue.  I’m sure Archie and Tom Ostrom (MN connections) liked him.  

Just my opinions. 

From the article....

Enter McKinley Wright, the former Dayton commit who the Buffs were on immediately after Archie Miller left Dayton for Indiana. Wright wasn’t even the best player on his Minnesota high school team, but the Buffs saw in him a mentally strong floor general who would compete for a starting job on day one. No one knew just how much of an impact he would have right away.

I could have sworn that Wright was Minnesota's Mr. Basketball.

While I am pleased he is a Buff.  I am just wondering why Archie did not go after him, and instead went after Crean's guy's.  Not disparaging Crean's recruits.  Just feel it strange that Archie did not go after a kid he knew more about, recruited, and had the kid commit to him.  Man... I watched Wright today.... and he was spectacular. 

14 minutes ago, rico said:

From the article....

Enter McKinley Wright, the former Dayton commit who the Buffs were on immediately after Archie Miller left Dayton for Indiana. Wright wasn’t even the best player on his Minnesota high school team, but the Buffs saw in him a mentally strong floor general who would compete for a starting job on day one. No one knew just how much of an impact he would have right away.

I could have sworn that Wright was Minnesota's Mr. Basketball.

Yes. Wright was Minnesota's Mr. Basketball.  Still trying to figure out why Archie did not go after him, when Archie had already had him in hand at Dayton.

5 minutes ago, milehiiu said:

Yes. Wright was Minnesota's Mr. Basketball.  Still trying to figure out why Archie did not go after him, when Archie had already had him in hand at Dayton.

But the article says he wasn't even the best player on his high school team?

33 minutes ago, BobSaccamanno said:

Thanks for the info.  I did not realize he was doing so well so thanks for bringing it to our attention.  Archie obviously liked him and spotted the talent.

That last spot went to Race which brought us a big guy for the future.  I don’t think that Race spot opened until Gelon left in May.  Correct me if I’m wrong but McKinley came off the board before that.  

As the scholly count was being worked out, there was buzz that we liked McKinley.  But Archie was quoted as saying he hoped Wright honored Dayton.  So, another factor may have been Archie’s reluctance to poach a player from Dayton, a school that was good to him and to whom he was loyal.  But, who knows,  if he had more schollies open, the way Crean did, he may have taken him.  It’s hard to say. 

Suffice it to say, I doubt it was a talent issue.  I’m sure Archie and Tom Ostrom (MN connections) liked him.  

Just my opinions. 

Appreciate your thoughts. And I can buy into the respect of not wanting to tread on Dayton.  Yet..... Colorado, jumped on Wright, right away (no pun intended).  IMHO, after watching Wright this season.... I feel like IU got left behind at the start of a race. Failed to move fast enough.  Kudo's to Thad Boyle.... he got a good, if not great one. 

And albeit... in terms of timing.... I have to admit.... I have only come to this conclusion.... AFTER.... watching Wright this season.  Something that Archie knew about before me.

Hindsight is always 20/20. 

Maybe Wright would have been a good player here, but I am happy with the freshmen we have. These kids have played all of a dozen games or so. When they have played a couple of full seasons then let's compare.

I know that as a fan base we are known as being very astute. I would add that we are also a bit cynical. We don't have Wright because CAM chose not to bring him to IU.

As Norman Dale said, "I would hope that you would support who we are, and not who we are not."

2 hours ago, milehiiu said:

Was a Dayton commit.   Crean brought some of his Marquette recruits to IU.  Any one know why Archie didn't go after McKinley ?

I have been watching Wright all season.  And I must say.... IMHO he would have been a difference maker for our Hoosiers this year.

The future of Colorado basketball is in McKinley Wright’s hands

They talked about that last night during the Iowa and Colorado game.  They said it was because we were out of scholarships after all 3 of our commits recommitted to IU

12 hours ago, iufaninand said:

someone stated the coaches went after creans players first and he was not available.

The encouraging thing to me is that archie was able to get a quality recruit like this st Dayton. Should bode well for the type of player he’ll be able to get at IU

As Jerry Lundergaard posted;  hindsight is always 20/20.   And as I have admitted, I am guilty of that, after watching Wright this season.

Having said that.... and after doing a little (very little, LOL) research on the topic.  I am absolutely buying what you are selling here.  Miller was spending time not only locking up Crean's commits, but also working to make sure there were no transfers.  A job, well done, I feel we all agreed to.... thereby allowing Colorado to swoop in and pick up Wright. 

I was not attempting to be critical of Miller..... I was just curious as to why he did not go after Wright.  And I think you answered that for me.  Thank you. 

I’ve mentioned this before, I’m fully aboard the “Archie Train”, but I do wonder if keeping everyone in the fold (including Crean’s ‘17 recruits) was the best move, at least for this season. I appreciate the way he handled things, and even Andy Katz made mention during the Tennessee Tech game that Archie felt the right thing to do was to honor all of Crean’s commitments, but I’m not sure it was the best thing to do, and I’m not sure he would have gotten a ton of flack for bringing in his own guys. 

12 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I’ve mentioned this before, I’m fully aboard the “Archie Train”, but I do wonder if keeping everyone in the fold (including Crean’s ‘17 recruits) was the best move, at least for this season. I appreciate the way he handled things, and even Andy Katz made mention during the Tennessee Tech game that Archie felt the right thing to do was to honor all of Crean’s commitments, but I’m not sure it was the best thing to do, and I’m not sure he would have gotten a ton of flack for bringing in his own guys. 

Can't disagree with anything you said there.  I would like to think that Archie studied tape on "Crean's recruits" and evaluated it accordingly.  But that being said I dug up this...

http://www.daytondailynews.com/sports/long-list-schools-chasing-former-dayton-flyers-recruit/FeG4TddnTadl1S4kXPeYPJ/

AS THE WORLD TURNS..... around McKinley Wright.  LOL.  Interesting that Archie fails to get a kid that he got to commit to Dayton, for whatever reason.While in the process of securing Crean's team and commits..... while Grant failed to lock up Wright for Dayton.  I just find that somewhat crazy.

And I do agree with BGleas.  Archie kept Crean's kids who were recruited to and for a completely different system than his.  And we are seeing how that has worked out for him so far this season.  Yet let a kid get away, that he recruited FOR his system. 

Oh well, under the bridge.  However, I will say this to HSN 3.0 members.  If you get a chance to watch McKinley Wright in action...take advantage of it. 

McKinley Wright Buzzer Beater Beats Quinnipiac

Morals and ethics.

Do we want our kids doing the 'best thing' or the 'right thing'? All too often they are different things and the line can be blurred between the two.

Now, we ask the same thing of Archie.  I will not condemn Archie's decision in this matter.  In fact, I quite respect it and see it as a 'right thing'. That said, I cannot condemn anyone for thinking he should have done the 'best thing'. I will add that down the road this decision could pay dividends for the program and be a statement to Archie's character and recruiting ability.

Edit: re-recruiting CTC's commits demonstrates his recruiting ability.

27 minutes ago, PoHoosier said:

Morals and ethics.

Do we want our kids doing the 'best thing' or the 'right thing'? All too often they are different things and the line can be blurred between the two.

Now, we ask the same thing of Archie.  I will not condemn Archie's decision in this matter.  In fact, I quite respect it and see it as a 'right thing'. That said, I cannot condemn anyone for thinking he should have done the 'best thing'. I will add that down the road this decision could pay dividends for the program and be a statement to Archie's character and recruiting ability.

Edit: re-recruiting CTC's commits demonstrates his recruiting ability.

I agree. Very good post.

Archie is here, hopefully, for many years. This one player is not likely to speed up or slow down the process to get us where we want to be.

Set the tone of ethical approaches early. He will get his type of guys. But no need to take any perceived shortcuts that other coaches can use against him down the road. 

Whether it is backstabbing Dayton, or not showing IU is honoring the University's offers......it could be twisted into bad optics.

No.need for that so early, if ever.

If I remember correctly, when Archie was hired, there was immediate interest by both sides, Archie and Wright, but at that time we had a roster mess.  The only clear NBA declaration was OG, and within a few weeks Blackmon, Bryant and Johnson all declared, but the three frosh still needed to re-commit and then Hartman decided to return.  The sense I got was that Wright wanted to commit, but it wasn’t until late spring, early summer that Gelon moved on, and a roster spot opened, which was later filled by RS Thompson.  All this happened after Wright committed.  

5 hours ago, Fundamentals said:

If I remember correctly, when Archie was hired, there was immediate interest by both sides, Archie and Wright, but at that time we had a roster mess.  The only clear NBA declaration was OG, and within a few weeks Blackmon, Bryant and Johnson all declared, but the three frosh still needed to re-commit and then Hartman decided to return.  The sense I got was that Wright wanted to commit, but it wasn’t until late spring, early summer that Gelon moved on, and a roster spot opened, which was later filled by RS Thompson.  All this happened after Wright committed.  

Dang....  A day late and a recruit short

Archived