Root for/ root against thread

Since we’re currently not safely in the tourney, I’ve been finding myself checking brackets and scores lately. I was wondering if anyone who is smarter than me would know a site/resource or someone that would be able to tell me what teams IU would benefit from seeing winning/losing each week.

I’m setting myself up for emotional instability but whatever haha. Thanks and go Hoosiers!

1 minute ago, Hoosierdave said:

Since we’re currently not safely in the tourney, I’ve been finding myself checking brackets and scores lately. I was wondering if anyone who is smarter than me would know a site/resource or someone that would be able to tell me what teams IU would benefit from seeing winning/losing each week.

I’m setting myself up for emotional instability but whatever haha. Thanks and go Hoosiers!

Generally I’m rooting for the teams we’ve already beaten to win their games. Stanford, Providence, Maryland, Penn State are easy ones. I don’t really care about where we finish in the big ten but our tournament resume looks better if our wins look better. 

17 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

Generally I’m rooting for the teams we’ve already beaten to win their games. Stanford, Providence, Maryland, Penn State are easy ones. I don’t really care about where we finish in the big ten but our tournament resume looks better if our wins look better. 

Yea, definitely been over all the games following our schedule and rooting for them. Made this thread in the hopes that someone is smarter than me when it comes to teams we don’t play lol. I know there were some accounts on Twitter last year that like the last month followed who IU should be rooting for so not sure if there’s something like that available for everyone. I get that rankings change each week but for example...

-UL over Duke? Duke is like a first four out rn but UL losing would help push IU further up if they had a bad loss like that on their resume.

-Baylor over OK st? Ok st is closer is rankings than us but Baylor losing would help push teams like Michigan, Iowa etc further towards 1 & 2 seeds, make our SOS better.

situations where i can make positives/negatives for each outcome would be nice if I knew better if my logic was correct or not lmao.

Should root for all the non-conference opponents to win. That makes those wins better and the loses not as bad. 

In conference it gets a bit more tricky. You still want the best possible wins and the loses to be not bad but that's harder when the teams you play are also playing each other. So the home loss against NW means we should want them to do well enough to finish as a Quad 2 loss or better. 

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Should root for all the non-conference opponents to win. That makes those wins better and the loses not as bad. 

In conference it gets a bit more tricky. You still want the best possible wins and the loses to be not bad but that's harder when the teams you play are also playing each other. So the home loss against NW means we should want them to do well enough to finish as a Quad 2 loss or better. 

My question on quad wins is it when you played them or where they finish the season.

11 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not sure that is best way of doing it.  What happens if you played a team at full strength but later on had some injuries.  If that team after injuries start losing it will effect what Quad they would be in.

It is the finish and that's also the most fair way to do it as it encompasses every teams complete body of work. The non-conference games, in particular, might look better or worse than they actually are. So I disagree with you, looking at how they finish is the best way to do it.

It's less about who else beats who else and more how we do against the teams around us in conference.  We need to beat Minnesota.  We need to beat Rutgers.  We need to win at least one against Michigan State.  If we do that, it doesn't matter what Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin do.  

15 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

It's less about who else beats who else and more how we do against the teams around us in conference.  We need to beat Minnesota.  We need to beat Rutgers.  We need to win at least one against Michigan State.  If we do that, it doesn't matter what Michigan, Iowa, and Wisconsin do.  

This is where I'm at.  Beat most of the remaining matchups against middle tier Big 10 teams and try to steal another from the group of @Mich, Illinois, Iowa, @Ohio St, Mich.  And yes, I think Purdue and Minny are squarely in the "middle tier" group.  

47 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

I root against all the B1G, Uk, Louisville, Duke, Kansas, probably a few more on a daily basis.  I don't need to complicate my formula much more than that.  

Living in the South I now cheer for all B1G other than Purdouche and against all SEC and ACC.  Of course I think the point of this thread is who helps us out to win or lose, so we really need the Smellermakers and Buckeyes to lose and love to see TX, FSU, and Stanford win.   

Archived