Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Cbp4IU said:

Durham and Phinsee should be limited to 5 dribbles every time they have the ball on offense. They do too much dribbling and IU ends up taking a wild shot with 3 seconds left in the shot clock. The end of the game. Each possession was taking way too long. If IU goes on a slide. I think I would move on with the Freshmen over our upperclassmen. Durham at times can kill the offense. 

Durham is a microcosm of Indiana BBall. Good 1 game, bad the next. He is consistent about being inconsistent!

24 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This loss is 100%, squarely on the players. Loss had nothing to do with strategy, etc., and was all about toughness, leadership and effort. 

TJD got out-toughed and out-manned by Johnson. Rutgers players just wanted this game more, that is all this was about. 

I thought we lacked energy. Sunday morning starts are tough. Hopefully our guys stayed in and got ready. 

Reasons for loss:

1) Terrible around the rim...TJD was rushed and soft and absolutely a non factor..On top of that, we missed several key layups when we had a chance to regain the lead in the second half. Durham, and Hunter (who in the same sequence missed a wide open layup, two free throws, and then fouled at the other end) the main issues on those other opportunities. We missed lots of five foot shots that would have gained or maintained momentum.

2) 50/50 balls...the second half was a great example of times where Rutgers won those type of loose balls that preserved their lead...the number of times we had a loose ball snatched from us or simply careen off our hands was disheartening

3) untimely live ball turnovers...down five we get a clean rebound and have a run out, TJD throws it right to Rutgers...in the early portion of the second half we had a lot of turnovers...this led to us scoring 2 points in the first five minutes of the second half and Rutgers scoring ten...made a ton of difference in the game...throw poor shot decisions on top of this (Race with a fall away one handed turn around against Harper from fifteen feet when we were down five)

4) matchup issues because of lack of length on the court at every position...

5) They hit tough shots and we didn't...despite how many threes we hit, they won the game with shot making in the midrange

5) really, really disagree with not fouling down three with 45 seconds left...we needed to put pressure on Rutgers and make them earn it at the line...I'd say that was the only glaring coaching mistake, but I'd love to see us abandon our Baseline out of bounds matchup...We get scored on double digits on Baseline Out of Bounds plays every game...Several glaring moments in this one...Durham simply stops guarding Baker who is then all alone on ball side in the corner and nails a three...I'd also liked to have seen Geronimo in the First half, he was pretty decent on Harper and was a better matchup for us than the many times Hunter was matched up on him in the first half

They seem to have a real lack of emotion in important games at home over the past four years...I see that as a leadership issue....just so flat when it matters most.

8 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Let’s face it a front court of a 6’9” player and a 6’8” player is going to get exposed at times in the BIG! We really could use Joey! Hope he takes the redshirt and comes back next year!

So many times I wished we had Joey. Leadership. Rebounding. Just those 12-14 minutes per game where he does those little things we need in games like this one or Wisconsin or Northwestern or Purdue...and on and on. 

38 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all. We lost to a team that was at one time #11 in the country. They had chemistry issues, but Pikell changed his lineup, taking out 2 of the "problem players" (Young, Mathis) and his team played like a team. Like the team that started out 6-0.

Myles Johnson is a tough matchup for TJD. 6'11 and long arms. But Trayce needs to be up to that challenge.

We had our chances. We didn't take them.

Far from a "sh*t show." Losing by 20 would have fit that bill.

We lost a game in the toughest conference in the USA and it's not the end of the world...

To @IUFLAI love your optimism. I really do. I don’t agree though. There is no way to rise to the top when home losses are excusable. Any home losses. True there is no fans but it’s the same for everyone.

To all: I’m tired of excuses. Last 2 years locker room drama created some room for error in my mind. Yet here we are removed from that situations and there still is no passion.

There was zero lift of emotion or energy by the team and that’s with the hall surging the day that knight made his appearance. That was a red flag to me. The blame for everything was locker room issues.

This team not willing to pound pavement is on the coach. Them not showing up today and staying in the game is also on the coach.

I want this to work out with Miller. We all have our own perspectives as to why things should be this way or that. @IUwins0708 brought up a good point in the age expectations thread. Basically we are all invested but in different ways and from different eras which causes us to hold the bar at a different level. To me though it’s interesting that age doesn’t seem to be as much of a factor as I would have thought it would in terms of having a higher expectation or patience level.

I’m ok with riding this out but my hope is slipping and nearly lost for this staff. If it were me, I’m touching base behind the scenes and having some serious conversation with CAM.

The landscape is the same for all of College basketball. No excuses. Indiana is stuck in a hole and someone has to answer for it. 

35 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not sure that's an inferior team by any means.  They just not got healthy and was a preseason top 15.  

Absolute fact they wanted it more. 

We look good against Wisconsin and Iowa because they don't have blow by guards.  Young, Baker, and others were in the lane all game.  

I saw nothing that I thought they were better at than us, aside from giving effort. What did I miss? 

39 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all. We lost to a team that was at one time #11 in the country. They had chemistry issues, but Pikell changed his lineup, taking out 2 of the "problem players" (Young, Mathis) and his team played like a team. Like the team that started out 6-0.

Myles Johnson is a tough matchup for TJD. 6'11 and long arms. But Trayce needs to be up to that challenge.

We had our chances. We didn't take them.

Far from a "sh*t show." Losing by 20 would have fit that bill.

We lost a game in the toughest conference in the USA and it's not the end of the world...

I don't really care what they were at one point. That was an inferior team in a game we really needed, and our team didn't show up. There is no way to really describe this game other than pathetic.

The only reason it wasn't the blowout you describe is because our freshman and sophomores got us back in it, our upperclassmen should be ashamed of this game. 

3 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

I don't really care what they were at one point. That was an inferior team in a game we really needed, and our team didn't show up. There is no way to really describe this game other than pathetic.

The only reason it wasn't the blowout you describe is because our freshman and sophomores got us back in it, our upperclassmen should be ashamed of this game. 

Beg to differ...teams that "don't show up" in the B1G get killed. We lost by 4 to a pretty good team. 

I'll agree that our upperclassmen let us down. And I'll agree our young kids played pretty well...not flawless but well. Lander was especially strong today. He made a few mistakes, but I was very encouraged by his play.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

Beg to differ...teams that "don't show up" in the B1G get killed. We lost by 4 to a pretty good team. 

I'll agree that our upperclassmen let us down. And I'll agree our young kids played pretty well...not flawless but well. Lander was especially strong today. He made a few mistakes, but I was very encouraged by his play.

Out of the guys we rely on, who did you think showed up and gave a good effort? 

Just now, Drroogh said:

After today I would not be surprised if KL starts stealing some serious minutes from Al and Rob! Seems like the game is finally coming to him!

Hope so. He still got lost on defense, but Ill take what he can give if he plays like he did on offense today over those two. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

Out of the guys we rely on, who did you think showed up and gave a good effort? 

Effort is a hard thing to gauge. Effort is different from playing poorly. You can sometimes play with all the effort in the world and still not make shots.

I don't question the effort. I do recognize that not a one of our starters played particularly well...

Yet we were in the game at the end...we made some poor plays, and they made some winning plays...the Trayce outlet that Johnson got a hand on and deflected to one of his players. If that pass gets through, we have a layup and a 1 point game. But, Myles Johnson made a winning play.

Just so frustrating!  They give away so many opportunities.  Miss easy lay ups, too many silly turnovers, sometimes terrible rebounding, especially on defensive end, inconsistent free throw shooting, etc.  At least the outside shooting seems to be improving.  They do just enough to almost win.

Just now, IUFLA said:

Effort is a hard thing to gauge. Effort is different from playing poorly. You can sometimes play with all the effort in the world and still not make shots.

I don't question the effort. I do recognize that not a one of our starters played particularly well...

Yet we were in the game at the end...we made some poor plays, and they made some winning plays...the Trayce outlet that Johnson got a hand on and deflected to one of his players. If that pass gets through, we have a layup and a 1 point game. But, Myles Johnson made a winning play.

We shot well, it wasn't a shot making issue. We missed bunnies and free throws, but our jumpers were great today. 

Just now, IUFLA said:

The numbers can indicate effort too though. Race only having 2 rebounds in 31 minutes is effort. TJD going 4-for-10 when all of his shots were in the paint indicate he wasn't going strong and tough (which your eyes backed up watching the game) and having 4 turnovers also indicates some lackadaisical play. Then my eyes also told me he didn't run hard from end-to-end consistently. 

Archived