Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BGleas said:

The numbers can indicate effort too though. Race only having 2 rebounds in 31 minutes is effort. TJD going 4-for-10 when all of his shots were in the paint indicate he wasn't going strong and tough (which your eyes backed up watching the game) and having 4 turnovers also indicates some lackadaisical play. Then my eyes also told me he didn't run hard from end-to-end consistently. 

I understand what you're saying. I think both Race and TJD had poor games. I didn't notice the running hard part.

I think Johnson was in Trayce's head early with the 2 blocks right off the bat. I think Trayce got discouraged and it showed in his game.

Archie in the post game talked about execution over effort, so if he's not questioning it, I won't either...

1 minute ago, mchenry34 said:

Rutgers clearly looked to take advantage of our poor defensive transition habits...We can't count on our bigs to run the floor defensively and our guards are often loose in their identification of matchups in transition

TJD has been poor in transition defensive effort for 2 years. One play specifically in the 1st half he trotted back on D and got to Johnson late, allowing Johnson to seal him on the top side and then Franklin's man drove baseline for an easy layup. 

Watching it you might think Franklin got beat, and maybe he did, but the entire sequence started because TJD loafed back on D and Rutgers took advantage of it. 

1 minute ago, mchenry34 said:

Rutgers clearly looked to take advantage of our poor defensive transition habits...We can't count on our bigs to run the floor defensively and our guards are often loose in their identification of matchups in transition

Rutgers had a layup line going. We were awful at controlling penetration today. They simply put their heads down and drove, we put up no resistance. 

12 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

After today I would not be surprised if KL starts stealing some serious minutes from Al and Rob! Seems like the game is finally coming to him!

I agree with this all day long.  This was the first game I thought Lander didn't look completely overwhelmed.  I was so proud of him after Geo got the T for taunting.   Lander came down and nailed a three right over Geo.  Best play of the game for me.  I love what it says going forward.

2 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Rutgers had a layup line going. We were awful at controlling penetration today. They simply put their heads down and drove, we put up no resistance. 

I think *some* of that can be attributed to Franklin being hobbled...

This was also not a game for Leal, no one for him to guard (tough matchups for Hunter too), so not having Galloway hurt...

Phinisee and Durham were just not good enough guarding the ball until they came back in with six minutes left, and it was too late

1 minute ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I participated in the last fire Archie, I will not do it again. That said this crap is getting old! Can’t play hard at home! What’s the excuse this time no fans! 
Thats bull!!!! 

You as a Hoosier fan are not allowed to criticize anything within the first 10 years of coaching tenure. We can't question anything as loyal fans we are to run blindly off the cliff with the rest of the pack. Otherwise you are not loyal to the team. I don't think I need to add sarcasm emotions or TIC or anything else. We are not a good team end of discussion for me

1 minute ago, Billingsley99 said:

You as a Hoosier fan are not allowed to criticize anything within the first 10 years of coaching tenure. We can't question anything as loyal fans we are to run blindly off the cliff with the rest of the pack. Otherwise you are not loyal to the team. I don't think I need to add sarcasm emotions or TIC or anything else. We are not a good team end of discussion for me

Yeah, short of cheating, I get the impression that some fans are willing to accept anything as long as the name on the jersey says Indiana.  That is cool, you need those types of people in a fanbase.  You also need the torch and pitchfork crowd when things are not working.

11 minutes ago, Billingsley99 said:

Why do some of you keep repeating this mantra that nobody is allowed to be negative on this board, when 80% our posts the past few weeks (sans Iowa talk) has been negative?

If a few disagree and hold out positive thoughts, why does that hurt people's feelings?

Good Grierf, even @IU Scott and @BGleas have posted in a less positive manner lately..

Why do some of you keep acting like everybody is so mean to anybody that posts negative comments?

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Oh got it, so we just lacked toughness and focus but our effort was fine. 

I thought Armaan getting dinged up early, and Johnson's defense on both of our bigs were factors.

You make it sound like Rutgers isn't a very good team. I know you watch a lot of basketball, but outside of our games with Rutgers, have you watched them play?

They brought back essentially the same team that went 11-9 last year in the B1G, and 20-11 overall. They have talent. When they play like a team, they're very tough.

You can dismiss the opposition all you want, but every team in the B1G will give you a game.

4 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

We lost this game because we spent a lot of emotional capital smoking Iowa in the second half Thursday.  It's natural to have a letdown after that type of game.

I'd like to think that, but comes a time when you have to approach every game the same way.

Does seem to be a trend in the B1G though...look at Michigan vs Minny after they'd dismantled Wisconsin a few days before...

It was funny in the post game. I think it was Rabjohns that basically asked why we always seem to lay an egg after a big win and if Archie knew a reason for that...

"No."

Then a very uncomfortable silence...

23 minutes ago, Muddy River said:

I agree with this all day long.  This was the first game I thought Lander didn't look completely overwhelmed.  I was so proud of him after Geo got the T for taunting.   Lander came down and nailed a three right over Geo.  Best play of the game for me.  I love what it says going forward.

Based on the way Archie handled Geronimo today, after playing well against Iowa, my bet is on Lander’s minutes going down next game.  Archie loves him some Durham...no idea why, but he does

Archived