Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Armaan getting dinged up early, and Johnson's defense on both of our bigs were factors.

You make it sound like Rutgers isn't a very good team. I know you watch a lot of basketball, but outside of our games with Rutgers, have you watched them play?

They brought back essentially the same team that went 11-9 last year in the B1G, and 20-11 overall. They have talent. When they play like a team, they're very tough.

You can dismiss the opposition all you want, but every team in the B1G will give you a game.

I was curious so I tried to quickly look at Miller's record against the BIG.  This included the BTT.

Illinois 3-3

Iowa 4-2

Maryland 2-3

Michigan 0-4

Michigan St. 3-1

Minnesota 4-1

Nebraska 4-2

Northwestern 3-2

Ohio St 1-5

Penn St. 4-1

Purdue 0-6

Rutgers 2-4

Wisconsin 1-4

Total 31-38

I will qualify that this was quick from looking through schedules so I could have missed something but it seems to me like Miller is complete hit or miss.  There are some teams he just beats and their are others where his team do not show up.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Still say if we go 10-10 it will be quite a feat!  I really would be impressed with 8-12.  

We’re already 4-5... I don’t see why it would be a surprise or impressive for IU to finish around .500.  We finished 8-12 last year, and this year’s team is certainly better than last year’s.  I’d be pretty shocked if we finished with fewer than 8 wins.  The problem is it would be equally shocking if we finished with 12 or more wins. IU is the definition of mediocre, but they’re not completely atrocious.

1 minute ago, FW_Hoosier said:

We’re already 4-5... I don’t see why it would be a surprise or impressive for IU to finish around .500.  We finished 8-12 last year, and this year’s team is certainly better than last year’s.  I’d be pretty shocked if we finished with fewer than 8 wins.  The problem is it would be equally shocking if we finished with 12 or more wins. IU is the definition of mediocre, but they’re not completely atrocious.

We were 9-11 in the B1G last year...

25 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

Why do some of you keep repeating this mantra that nobody is allowed to be negative on this board, when 80% our posts the past few weeks (sans Iowa talk) has been negative?

If a few disagree and hold out positive thoughts, why does that hurt people's feelings?

Good Grierf, even @IU Scott and @BGleas have posted in a less positive manner lately..

Why do some of you keep acting like everybody is so mean to anybody that posts negative comments?

You're a meanie Mr. Blue.  :coffee:

24 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

We lost this game because we spent a lot of emotional capital smoking Iowa in the second half Thursday.  It's natural to have a letdown after that type of game.

It's not acceptable.  Every coach and every player who has ever played organized sports understands that is a risk.  Understanding it should prevent it from happening.

1 minute ago, IUFLA said:

We were 9-11 in the B1G last year...

Whoops, got confused with 2018.  Which ironically was probably the best team Archie’s had at IU.

Either way, the point is we’ve been a .500 team in the conference, or slightly worse, since Archie got here.  I don’t see that changing this year, in either a positive or a negative direction.  8-10 wins is likely exactly where this team finishes up.

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

He was awful today and the disappointing thing is that it was largely effort and toughness. 

Per usual, he was lazy in transition numerous times. He let Johnson just push him around. That was a really bad performance from TJD. 

I just don't understand how a player playing college basketball can come out and not play with effort.  Most of us would have given anything to get to put on the IU jersey and these kids come out and play with no effort

26 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I thought Armaan getting dinged up early, and Johnson's defense on both of our bigs were factors.

You make it sound like Rutgers isn't a very good team. I know you watch a lot of basketball, but outside of our games with Rutgers, have you watched them play?

They brought back essentially the same team that went 11-9 last year in the B1G, and 20-11 overall. They have talent. When they play like a team, they're very tough.

You can dismiss the opposition all you want, but every team in the B1G will give you a game.

I'm not dismissing the opposition at all. How do you even come up with that?

They aren't as good of a basketball team as us. The reason they were ranked high at one point is the same reason they beat us today; they play really hard. We didn't match that today, that's why we lost.

They got a ton of easy looks inside and in transition because they played harder than we did. I'm honestly dumbfounded someone who watches a lot of basketball didn't see that.

Look, it's possible to be a positive person and generally defensive of the team and still criticize obvious things. To just chalk this up to, "oh well, we lost a close game to a good team" and is no different than the folks who argue in bad faith against Archie. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

This loss is 100%, squarely on the players. Loss had nothing to do with strategy, etc., and was all about toughness, leadership and effort. 

TJD got out-toughed and out-manned by Johnson. Rutgers players just wanted this game more, that is all this was about. 

I disagree. It's the coaches responsibility to ensure that the players don't get to full of themselves after a big win.  It's the coaches responsibility to sit your All-American on the bench when he's being lazy, and put in the undersized freshman that gave you an outstanding effort on Thursday night.  It's the coaches responsibility to recognize that your starting guard is hurting the team in the first half because he's hobbling on a bad ankle and give some additional minutes to your hyped freshman guard who has actually been playing pretty well the last couple of games. 

If the players aren't willing (TJD and Rob) or able (Franklin in the first half) to give the effort, let them understand that there are other players on the bench that would love the opportunity.  If you're going to lose anyway, you might as well make a statement doing it.       

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

Not at all. We lost to a team that was at one time #11 in the country. They had chemistry issues, but Pikell changed his lineup, taking out 2 of the "problem players" (Young, Mathis) and his team played like a team. Like the team that started out 6-0.

Myles Johnson is a tough matchup for TJD. 6'11 and long arms. But Trayce needs to be up to that challenge.

We had our chances. We didn't take them.

Far from a "sh*t show." Losing by 20 would have fit that bill.

We lost a game in the toughest conference in the USA and it's not the end of the world...

but they have not won since December and never won at AH.  You can't justify this loss in any way because it is inexcusable.  We have seen this many times over the years and just heard this stat on Assembly Call.  Last year we beat 4 top 25 teams but lost the very next game against an unranked team.

1 minute ago, IUCrazy2 said:

It does around here under Archie, not so much at the programs he was hired to get us competing with....

Unfortunately,  Archie will be back next year which doesn't bother me like it does you.  If he has a bad season then on to the next 5 year gamble

3 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

I disagree. It's the coaches responsibility to ensure that the players don't get to full of themselves after a big win.  It's the coaches responsibility to sit your All-American on the bench when he's being lazy, and put in the undersized freshman that gave you an outstanding effort on Thursday night.  It's the coaches responsibility to recognize that your starting guard is hurting the team in the first half because he's hobbling on a bad ankle and give some additional minutes to your hyped freshman guard who has actually been playing pretty well the last couple of games. 

If the players aren't willing (TJD and Rob) or able (Franklin in the first half) to give the effort, let them understand that there are other players on the bench that would love the opportunity.  If you're going to lose anyway, you might as well make a statement doing it.       

I agree with this one is on Archie

4 minutes ago, Rogermci said:

Unfortunately,  Archie will be back next year which doesn't bother me like it does you.  If he has a bad season then on to the next 5 year gamble

Who said he wouldn't be back next year?  I have consistently said he will be back.  His buyout guarantees that.  Now whether he will deserve another year after this one?  That is still somewhat in the air, but it isn't looking great.

Also, "nyah nyah...yeah he has been mediocre but he is coming back so suck it" isn't a real vote of confidence. 

9 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Agree to disagree then. If Archie has to spend considerable time to coax his AA who has NBA aspirations to play hard, his junior point guard from Indiana to actually play with intensity, etc., then he's not able to focus on actually preparing the team. 

If he has to spend considerable time worrying about whether TJD is actually going to play with toughness and run hard, especially when there are only 2 days off between games, then he can't properly prepare the team to be ready for Rutgers from an X/O perspective. 

For years we've heard how IU had to get back to recruiting Indiana and how Indiana kids are just made different and they "get what IU is all about", yet Archie has to spend considerable time coaxing these kids to actually give a crap and play hard consistently. 

I never went into a game wondering how my coach was going to convince me to play hard and care. If I didn't, then that was on me. 

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Agree to disagree then. If Archie has to worry about coaxing his AA who has NBA aspirations to play hard, his junior point guard from Indiana to actually play with intensity, etc., then he's not able to focus on actually preparing the team. 

If he has to worry about whether TJD is actually going to play with toughness and run hard, especially when there are only 2 days off between games, then he can't properly prepare the team to be ready for Rutgers from an X/O perspective. 

For years we've heard how IU had to get back to recruiting Indiana and how Indiana kids are just made different and they "get what IU is all about", yet Archie has to spend considerable time coaxing these kids to actually give a crap and play hard consistently. 

I never went into a game wondering how my coach was going to convince me to play hard and care. If I didn't, then that was on me. 

TJD played 33 minutes today.  Geronimo played 6.  Based on effort, was that an equitable distribution of minutes today?

Archived