Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I understand what you're saying. I think both Race and TJD had poor games. I didn't notice the running hard part.

I think Johnson was in Trayce's head early with the 2 blocks right off the bat. I think Trayce got discouraged and it showed in his game.

Archie in the post game talked about execution over effort, so if he's not questioning it, I won't either...

If Archie didnt say anything about effort then thats a problem itself.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, IU Scott said:

I am wondering why it is that we play with more emotion and play harder on the road than we do at home.  Is it we get to comfortable at home and maybe because we have played weaker teams at home.  Besides Nebraska all of our true road games have been against top competition.  If it is they get up for the top competition and not the weaker teams that is partially on the coach.  They need to come into every game with the same attitude and not worry about who you are playing.  With how weak the home schedule has been compared to the road we shouldn't be 2-3 at home.

What I'm trying to say is remember how hard both TJD and Race were working Garza Thursday night? They were intense, the maintain lower center of gravity, they fought for position to push him out of his comfort zone, they battled so incredibly hard. 

Then today they looked like they didn't care at all. That shouldn't be on Archie, that should be on them. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I can't really disagree with that. It's just really disappointing to have all of these Indiana kids, and even they don't seem to get it or really care. 

Yep.  I think part of that is the rockstar status that is bestowed upon them by just signing the NLI.  There are maybe a handful of teams that have deserved that status the last 20 years.  Most of the rest of then are getting that attention based on what 40, 50, and 60 year old guys did before they were born.

Just now, BGleas said:

What I'm trying to say is remember how hard both TJD and Race were working Garza Thursday night? They were intense, the maintain lower center of gravity, they fought for position to push him out of his comfort zone, they battled so incredibly hard. 

Then today they looked like they didn't care at all. That shouldn't be on Archie, that should be on them. 

Play 3 minutes with Hunter and Geronimo on the floor as the 4 & 5.  Then, when they give up an offensive rebound that leads to a score, get in TJD's and Race's face on the bench and let them know how their effort is letting the team down.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

Play 3 minutes with Hunter and Geronimo on the floor as the 4 & 5.  Then, when they give up an offensive rebound that leads to a score, get in TJD's and Race's face on the bench and let them know how their effort is letting the team down.  

Do you know he didn't do that? Hunter and Geronimo both played. Race is usually the first substitution, but today Archie took TJD out first and put Hinter in. 

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am wondering why it is that we play with more emotion and play harder on the road than we do at home.  Is it we get to comfortable at home and maybe because we have played weaker teams at home.  Besides Nebraska all of our true road games have been against top competition.  If it is they get up for the top competition and not the weaker teams that is partially on the coach.  They need to come into every game with the same attitude and not worry about who you are playing.  With how weak the home schedule has been compared to the road we shouldn't be 2-3 at home.

It is really hard to understand.  My best attempt at a theory is that they are 18-22 year olds who are getting excited to travel and go to different places rather than being quarantined as much as possible?  Home crowd isn't there to pump us up and the road crowd isn't there to rattle us?  They should get up for every game, but maybe the excitement of the road experience?  Just a stab at guessing how strange this is.  

3 minutes ago, BGleas said:

It should be but this is a consistent thing so it is time for Archie to put an end to it.  If they can't play hard all the time put them on the bench and bring in guys who is willing to play hard.  It seems like every game that TJD comes out soft and don't run back on defense.  if Archie would put and end to that earlier in the year this would not still be happening.

8 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Well, I am basing it on the teams left.  It sure makes it tough to predict when we beat Iowa at Iowa and lose to Rutgers and Purdue at home, but I'll say again... we have 4 wins.  To get to 8 we need which 4?  at NW, at Purdue, at Rutgers, vs. MSU?  I'm not betting on winning all 4 of those.  To get to 10 we'd also need what?  vs. MN and at MSU?  If we win all 6 of those, I really do think that will be a pretty big feat.  Just asking - do you think we'll win all 6 of those?

Impossible to predict in a vacuum like that.  There are really no “should win” or “should lose” games for this team, or in the Big Ten in general really.  As they showed this week, IU can beat or lose to any team in the conference.  Flashes of good play followed up by stretches of terrible play is pretty much the hallmark of Archie’s teams at IU, so I’m pretty confident they’ll continue to win games they “should” lose and lose games they “should” win.  And that will even out to about a .500 record, just like it has for the past three years.

2 hours ago, BGleas said:

This loss is 100%, squarely on the players. Loss had nothing to do with strategy, etc., and was all about toughness, leadership and effort. 

TJD got out-toughed and out-manned by Johnson. Rutgers players just wanted this game more, that is all this was about. 

Reflection of their coach. Paper tigers. 

8 minutes ago, Artesian_86 said:

I hear ya, IUFLA....You and I seem to always agree on many topics both good and bad when it comes to IU. I will always give a coach his due contractual time as well as time to rebuild. Like you said, “If there comes a time to say, we gave him every chance....time to move on”....I will do that, no questions asked.  I reluctantly, but eventually said that about Knight. The problem I had with Crean is, He was allowed to stay too long, recruited more outside of Indiana than in and his recruiting style turned some players off. 

I agree it was a combination of things with Crean. I think after the WatShot a lot of us thought we had our guy long term.

Didn't turn out that way.

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Do you know he didn't do that? Hunter and Geronimo both played. Race is usually the first substitution, but today Archie took TJD out first and put Hinter in. 

My point was to play those two together.  TJD and Race probably have this mindset that at least one of them has to be on the floor.  Taking them out at the same time makes a statement that 'No you don't'.  

I will never stop watching or cheering for Hoosier basketball.  Didn't miss a game during Crean's 6-25 year.  I am also appreciative that today's game time gave me an excuse to start drinking at noon.  That said, to be honest, I don't even get very upset any more.  I wasn't really all that surprised today, so I'm not like all mad or anything.  Disappointed?  Sure, but this has been the norm for a long time now.  

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

If I heard correctly, he not disappointed in the team, he is disappointed for the team.

That is what he said n the postgame interview with Fischer.  He said they worked hard after the Iowa game and came in prepared.  He thought they gave good effort today but I didn't see that as a team

7 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

It is really hard to understand.  My best attempt at a theory is that they are 18-22 year olds who are getting excited to travel and go to different places rather than being quarantined as much as possible?  Home crowd isn't there to pump us up and the road crowd isn't there to rattle us?  They should get up for every game, but maybe the excitement of the road experience?  Just a stab at guessing how strange this is.  

Well, we don't have a prayer to beat Purdue then.  Ain't a kid anywhere that would be excited to go to West Lafayette.  :coffee:

4 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

Impossible to predict in a vacuum like that.  There are really no “should win” or “should lose” games for this team, or in the Big Ten in general really.  As they showed this week, IU can beat or lose to any team in the conference.  Flashes of good play followed up by stretches of terrible play is pretty much the hallmark of Archie’s teams at IU, so I’m pretty confident they’ll continue to win games they “should” lose and lose games they “should” win.  And that will even out to about a .500 record, just like it has for the past three years.

I can't really disagree with that, but I guess if you're playing the odds, you wouldn't predict we'd go 6-5 from here.  

Just now, Feathery said:

Reflection of their coach. Paper tigers. 

I’m afraid that kids like Leal, who grew up in Candy Stripe pants, “get it” well more than the staff. 
Instead of “I’m sick and bleeping tired of losing to Purdue” it’s “well damn it we was close and on to the next one”

1 minute ago, Inequality said:

I’m afraid that kids like Leal, who grew up in Candy Stripe pants, “get it” well more than the staff. 
Instead of “I’m sick and bleeping tired of losing to Purdue” it’s “well damn it we was close and on to the next one”

You left out a word in the "I'm sick and tired' quote.  :coffee:

5 minutes ago, 5fouls said:

Well, we don't have a prayer to beat Purdue then.  Ain't a kid anywhere that would be excited to go to West Lafayette.  :coffee:

Maybe that is why Purdue plays so well in Bloomington is that they can get away from W. Lafayette and actually see a nice campus.

Archived