Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Yeah, that’s what, I think, everyone is struggling with. 
Just my take, CAM is stubbornly set in his chosen style of offense and that includes which players he will utilize in any significant capacity. 
So tonight AF hurts his ankle and is clearly struggling with RU taking advantage of his limited mobility and CAM continues to keep him on the floor anyway.
Jordan is finally put in well into the game after being absolutely key to our W over Iowa (we may well have lost but for his contribution) - a chance he only got because both TJD and Race were saddled with Fouls. so despite TJD being a no show until we’ll into the game Jordan stays on the bench, finally making an appearance well in. He played only 6 min. In that time he got a bucket and rebound, also 2 fouls. 6 min is not enough coming off that game. Hunter hits for 9, but sits for a long time and then plays only 12 min and all while AF looks like gimpy. Hunter had some bad D during that run, but we went way down on the score board with him out, once again struggling to score, once again having to resort to D to try to claw our way back - and credit to the team they almost did, but the hole was too big. Playing from behind because the team can’t spread the floor enough is a repeat theme. Yes, we ended up 10-16 from deep, that’s encouraging and I don’t mean to undermine that, but we have players who can put points on the board who are sitting there while the other team is racking up points, and even when AF is gimpy? 34 minutes. Was glad to see Leal out there, that also was encouraging, but don’t tell me Jordan couldn’t have helped more and including defensively. Hunter could have added scoring. Someone should have spelled AF when he was clearly gimpy and getting beat on D. But CAM is stubborn. I hope he continues to grow, in the same way players need to develop CAM has some growing of his own to do. All just my opinion 

I agree that Armaan shouldn't have been on the floor, especially right before the end of the half. You could see he was laboring. Bardo pointed it out. In the game thread, I commented on how he was unable to get back on McConnell's offensive rebound and putback for Rutgers' final bucket of the first half.

As far as Geronimo goes, Rutgers is very good on the dribble drive. Jordan proved against Iowa he's a willing and able post defender who can body up a bigger guy, but he does get beat on the dribble drive (all of our guys did yesterday, so he wouldn't have stood out). I think Archie knew it was a bad matchup for him. CAM didn't realize I guess that it was a bad matchup for everybody on the team...

Archie said it in the post game, the problems on defense were more in communication than anything. I constantly saw guys getting pushed into positions by their teammates. 

Couple all that with Myles Johnson being probably the toughest interior defender TJD will face, and make no mistake, Trayce didn't fair well, and that's pretty much the blueprint for our loss...

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just don't get it. But, there's still time in this season to put something together, and play consistent basketball. I will say that looking around the B1G, it seems that outside of Michigan the rest of the teams are having this same issue of consistent play and finding an identity. I just don't understand how you come out of the gate on fire with a couple of 3s, and then just sleepwalk through the rest of the game, and the FT shooting issues are just bizarre.

My rationalization: home court doesn't mean much of anything with the pandemic damping down the crowds, and the B1G has an entire conference of equally talented teams that are just beating each other mostly based on matchups. We matched up well with Iowa on Thursday, we didn't match up well with Rutgers. Yeah, grasping at straws here, but that's about all I've got at this point.

18 hours ago, mchenry34 said:

Rutgers clearly looked to take advantage of our poor defensive transition habits...We can't count on our bigs to run the floor defensively and our guards are often loose in their identification of matchups in transition

Yes it’s a continuing problem with TJD. After one of those particularly bad games the next game we saw a lot of negative body language from him, I thought he’d probably been called out by coach and teammates and then he played hard, but then he’s reverted since. That defensive bulb has to go on for him. 

4 minutes ago, AxnJxn said:

We matched up well with Iowa on Thursday, we didn't match up well with Rutgers. Yeah, grasping at straws here, but that's about all I've got at this point.

I think that's a valid point. We DID matchup well with the slower, less athletic guards of Iowa (and Wisconsin...their experience, and the refs 😁 helped them win). Rob's normally a great on the ball defender, but 6'1 going against the 6'4 athletic Baker didn't work well. 

One other note on Iowa. I think as long as Fran insists on playing his sons, it puts Iowa at a disadvantage. THey combined for 5 points in 46 minutes. Conner was the guy we used to put our weaker defenders or our guys in foul trouble on. Joe Toussaint would at least give them another guy who can go to the hoop. Here's a per 40 minute comparison...

Tous.PNG.a02c7a2a94500c7561cd4d31a77ea8ca.PNG

Granted, Toussaint will turn the ball over more, but I don't think there any doubt he's the better overall player...Defensively better as well...

7 hours ago, BornHoosier said:

What ever happened to the hard core Tom Coverdale type players that would slap the floor & slap their chest daring you to come past half court??  It wasn't about talent but more about pride!!!

Always hard, imo, to read much into a player’s passion or mindset by their demeanor. On one hand you have guys like T Bryant and Vic, whose emotion is like fuel, and that inspires everyone around them, no question. On the other you have guys like OG, who are quiet killers - some used to question his heart, which is laughable, he’s as confident, competitive, and prideful as anyone, and then some, a cold killer. 
But this does go to having that killer in the team we seem to have been missing, and said it before I see the makings of one in Jordan. Kid needs to be played more. 

13 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

It is not a foul unless it is called

It's really more that the League was different then. MJ fouled almost every time he used that left elbow jab to the chest/sternum to create separation for his mid-range jumper. He did at all the time, and he never got called. Or Malone with his signature kick out almost every time he took an outside shot. Reggie pushed off? So what, it was a fantastic play.

Yesterday I was asking why we seem to play better on the road than we do at home and I am looking into maybe I can find out.

Neutral games 3-1

PPG- 67.5

Defense PPG- 61.7

Wins- Stanford, Providence, Butler

Loss- Texas

True road Games 2-3

PPG- 73.0

Defense PPG- 72.6

Wins- Nebraska, Iowa

Losses- FSU OT, UI, UW 2OT

Home games- 4-3

PPG- 76.0

Defense PPG- 68.5

Wins- TN Tech, N. Alabama, PSU OT, Maryland

Losses- NW, Purdue, Rutgers

The scoring average at home is helped by the two blowouts against  TN. tech and N. Alabama

Looking at this still can't figure out why we struggle at home because being 5-4 in neutral games and true road games is not bad.  Being 4-3 at home can't happen.

I guess I have to much time on my hands and thinking to much.  I was thinking if this was a normal year and we played 4 more non conference games would we look differently on the season.  More than likely those 4 games would have been home games against lower tier teams.  We win those 4 games and we would be 13-7 after 20 games.  I know we didn't play the Gavitt games this year but most other years we wouldn't have the tough Maui games either.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I guess I have to much time on my hands and thinking to much.  I was thinking if this was a normal year and we played 4 more non conference games would we look differently on the season.  More than likely those 4 games would have been home games against lower tier teams.  We win those 4 games and we would be 13-7 after 20 games.  I know we didn't play the Gavitt games this year but most other years we wouldn't have the tough Maui games either.

I don’t think beating up on four cupcakes would make anyone,wherever they stand, feel any different than they do now. 

40 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Yesterday I was asking why we seem to play better on the road than we do at home and I am looking into maybe I can find out.

Neutral games 3-1

PPG- 67.5

Defense PPG- 61.7

Wins- Stanford, Providence, Butler

Loss- Texas

True road Games 2-3

PPG- 73.0

Defense PPG- 72.6

Wins- Nebraska, Iowa

Losses- FSU OT, UI, UW 2OT

Home games- 4-3

PPG- 76.0

Defense PPG- 68.5

Wins- TN Tech, N. Alabama, PSU OT, Maryland

Losses- NW, Purdue, Rutgers

The scoring average at home is helped by the two blowouts against  TN. tech and N. Alabama

Looking at this still can't figure out why we struggle at home because being 5-4 in neutral games and true road games is not bad.  Being 4-3 at home can't happen.

You better watch out.  You go a little bit further, and you're getting into the analytical side of things. :coffee:

4 minutes ago, Leathernecks said:

PPG is a gateway stat.  Next thing you know, you'll be quoting points per possession.  From there, we might as well sign you up for rehab.

Really the only stat I care about is wins and losses.  I look at shooting percentages and rebounds, TO and assist.

When I grew up those were the stats they would show at halftime

On 1/24/2021 at 5:38 PM, Feathery said:

At one point in the postgame presser after the loss today he was resting on his hands again. A guy who looks like he wants to be here huh? I know @BGleas and I debated this after Purdue. I just don’t get the vibe he really wants to be here, apathy maybe.  But something is just off. 

Hey guys! I don't post often but I thought I would in this instance because this type of stuff I do for a living. Again, full disclosure I don't work with nor have I worked with anyone currently affiliated with Indiana. So this is just me free wheeling about what I see in regards to body language, facial expression and the language used during the Rutgers game and the following interviews.

I agree with @BGleas in his assessment that this isn't on Archie, or at least it isn't as much on Archie as some want to think. Is the record where we want to be? No. But I don't see apathy. I see a guy potentially as frustrated with his players as he possibly can be and can't quite figure out what to do to get the kids motivated on a day in and day out basis. I see a guy looking off thinking "How can we play like we did against Iowa and then lose at home to Rutgers?" I wouldn't say apathy as much as bewilderment. Obviously a lot goes with that bewilderment. 

I won't get much into the players but there are a lot of signs that aren't great. Just from a psychological perspective, the guys I really really like are: Leal, Galloway, Franklin, Thompson & Geronimo. I thought I saw some really positive things with Lander the more playing time he gets so I think he's more of a wait and see. The rest of the team isn't helping. 

I think Miller might be in a tough spot. To me (admittedly my analysis has nothing to do with basketball skill and playing ability) he has definitely 3 freshman and 2 sophomores that are legit. The other freshman I'm still interested in and think there is a lot of upside there. The others, I think is holding Miller hostage to a degree. Maybe he feels like he can't bench those guys. I don't know the answers to that. Miller is in year 4 and some want him gone. If he stays the course I think next year would be better but I'd expect the real improvement to come the year after in Miller's 6th year.

If he gets it.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:43 PM, KoB2011 said:

On 1/24/2021 at 5:49 PM, IUCrazy2 said:

He's 9-5 and 2-5 in his conference.  Glass houses.

On 1/24/2021 at 5:53 PM, IU Scott said:

I guess I did not see what Crean said. so what did he say

On 1/24/2021 at 5:54 PM, Feathery said:

He retweeted the postgame article of IU losing. 

Now 9-6 and 2-6 in conference after losing 83-59 to 4-5 South Carolina

Archived