Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, Drroogh said:

Love TJD but Harper was definitely the better player today. Pretty hard to win when your best player gets outplayed! This was a bad matchup!

TJD continues to show he isn't an NBA player. I get that he could go pro, but I just don't see what some of you see that think he is for sure gone. 

Just now, KoB2011 said:

TJD continues to show he isn't an NBA player. I get that he could go pro, but I just don't see what some of you see that think he is for sure gone. 

He was awful today and the disappointing thing is that it was largely effort and toughness. 

Per usual, he was lazy in transition numerous times. He let Johnson just push him around. That was a really bad performance from TJD. 

We shoot 62.5% from 3 

70% behind the line 

12 turnovers (not ‘significantly’ high)

... and 24-56 fg 

clear indication this ‘new’ offense is garbage. If TJD doesn’t draw fouls when he gets to his spot bc of positioning, we are screwed. We need more of a dynamic offense guys. Our players are so bad off the ball and it’s not their fault 

Just now, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Would you? Be honest, this team is a s**t show!

Not at all. We lost to a team that was at one time #11 in the country. They had chemistry issues, but Pikell changed his lineup, taking out 2 of the "problem players" (Young, Mathis) and his team played like a team. Like the team that started out 6-0.

Myles Johnson is a tough matchup for TJD. 6'11 and long arms. But Trayce needs to be up to that challenge.

We had our chances. We didn't take them.

Far from a "sh*t show." Losing by 20 would have fit that bill.

We lost a game in the toughest conference in the USA and it's not the end of the world...

2 minutes ago, KoB2011 said:

Absolutely pathetic loss. We lost to an inferior team because they wanted it more than us.

They beat us to key rebounds, we missed bunnies, we got lost on defense, we had sloppy turnovers. This was a really important team and it was like they just didn't care. So frustrating. 

Not sure that's an inferior team by any means.  They just not got healthy and was a preseason top 15.  

Absolute fact they wanted it more. 

We look good against Wisconsin and Iowa because they don't have blow by guards.  Young, Baker, and others were in the lane all game.  

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This loss is 100%, squarely on the players. Loss had nothing to do with strategy, etc., and was all about toughness, leadership and effort. 

TJD got out-toughed and out-manned by Johnson. Rutgers players just wanted this game more, that is all this was about. 

That's the thing and I agree with it. Archie's coaching didn't change from what he wanted the kids to do on Thursday to today....the players changed. Turnovers, outhustled....just lackadaisical play on offense.

I'm ticked at Archie for sure but days like this....all on the players. Who was the leader out there? I didn't see any leadership. Reminds me of the famous Knight rant after IU beat Northwestern barely in 1987. Knight ripped Alford up and down....said he was more interested in himself vs getting team ready. 

I thought Archie choosing to play 3 frosh for a majority of 2nd says exactly what he thinks of some of the leadership on the team. 

4 minutes ago, BGleas said:

This loss is 100%, squarely on the players. Loss had nothing to do with strategy, etc., and was all about toughness, leadership and effort. 

TJD got out-toughed and out-manned by Johnson. Rutgers players just wanted this game more, that is all this was about. 

Who is responsible for for establishing a culture of toughness, leadership, and effort?  I may be wrong, the players need to make plays, but it seems the head coach has at least some role in those aspects. 

2 minutes ago, Threedom said:

Who is responsible for for establishing a culture of toughness, leadership, and effort?  I may be wrong, the players need to make plays, but it seems the head coach has at least some role in those aspects. 

They seemed fine playing hard at Iowa, they seemed fine playing tough at Wisconsin. 

If Archie has to coax them into playing hard and tough game-to-game then that's on the players. 

His AA big literally got embarrassed by an average at best big and TJD never responded. 

6 minutes ago, NotIThatLives said:

Not sure that's an inferior team by any means.  They just not got healthy and was a preseason top 15.  

Absolute fact they wanted it more. 

We look good against Wisconsin and Iowa because they don't have blow by guards.  Young, Baker, and others were in the lane all game.  

Problem is though, this seems to be a recurring theme and it needs to stop.....

10 minutes ago, BGleas said:

He was awful today and the disappointing thing is that it was largely effort and toughness. 

Per usual, he was lazy in transition numerous times. He let Johnson just push him around. That was a really bad performance from TJD. 

He is an undersized 5 that can't score outside of 5' and has had some of his worst games when he plays guys with NBA size/length/athleticism. 

I'm really glad he is on our team, don't get me wrong, but he coupdnt hang on an NBA court and hasn't really shown the potential to think he could. 

Durham and Phinsee should be limited to 5 dribbles every time they have the ball on offense. They do too much dribbling and IU ends up taking a wild shot with 3 seconds left in the shot clock. The end of the game. Each possession was taking way too long. If IU goes on a slide. I think I would move on with the Freshmen over our upperclassmen. Durham at times can kill the offense. 

8 minutes ago, BGleas said:

They seemed fine playing hard at Iowa, they seemed fine playing tough at Wisconsin. 

If Archie has to coax them into playing hard and tough game-to-game then that's on the players. 

His AA big literally got embarrassed by an average at best big and TJD never responded. 

I appreciate the insight.  That is why I mentioned culture, it shouldn’t be game to game...it should be clear and understood.  But it doesn’t appear that way.  At least from the couch.  

Archived