Rutgers Postgame Thread

KDB

1 hour ago, bluegrassIU said:

Look, We know where you stand, but thats enough of calling him little Archie or a short a$$. Do not let it become personal attacks. I have a very short leash on this and this will be the only warning about it.

Thank you, because he is out of control.  We all know this team is not very good and Archie is on the hot seat going into next year.  What I can't stand is that when people make it a personal attack.

• Replies 297
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, BGleas said:

Is there anyone that thinks their minutes should be equitable? 

No.  But Geronimo could have easily received 5 minutes in the first half with Archie specifically letting TJD know why that was happening,  The end result couldn't have been worse.  Maybe it would have ignited some fire from TJD in the second half.  

1 minute ago, 5fouls said:

No.  But Geronimo could have easily received 5 minutes in the first half with Archie specifically letting TJD know why that was happening,  The end result couldn't have been worse.  Maybe it would have ignited some fire from TJD in the second half.  

He did take TJD out early in the 1st half for that reason, it just wasn't Geronimo that he put in. 

5 minutes ago, BGleas said:

Is there anyone that thinks their minutes should be equitable? 

Maybe not equitable, but hear me out.  Pickiell had a team that was in a skid and had a couple guys not doing what he needed.  So what did he do today?  He benched 2 starters.  Outside of injuries or suspensions, I cannot think of too many instances where Miller makes those kinds of moves.  There are guys who tend to get their minutes regardless of effort or play and there are those who don't.

That is on the coach.  If you do not demand effort and hold players accountable, then you will get a team that is bought in one day and out to lunch the next.

6 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

Maybe not equitable, but hear me out.  Pickiell had a team that was in a skid and had a couple guys not doing what he needed.  So what did he do today?  He benched 2 starters.  Outside of injuries or suspensions, I cannot think of too many instances where Miller makes those kinds of moves.  There are guys who tend to get their minutes regardless of effort or play and their are those who don't.

That is on the coach.  If you do not demand effort and hold players accountable, then you will get a team that is bought in one day and out to lunch the next.

I hear what you're saying, but he benched Phinisee just a few weeks ago. This also wasn't a case of losing 5 straight. IU just had their biggest win in years, Archie shouldn't have to worry about his best player and other veteran players to actually show up for the follow-up game. 

1 hour ago, Inequality said:

To @IUFLAI love your optimism. I really do.

It'll never go away.

You know, there may we'll come a day when I say, "we gave him every chance in the world, but now it's time to move on."

I did that with Davis, and Crean (won't comment on Sampson because I didn't care for his hiring in the first place...especially if what I heard about Herbert and Greenspan is true) and I'll give Archie the full benefit of the doubt until that day comes.

36 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

We’re already 4-5... I don’t see why it would be a surprise or impressive for IU to finish around .500.  We finished 8-12 last year, and this year’s team is certainly better than last year’s.  I’d be pretty shocked if we finished with fewer than 8 wins.  The problem is it would be equally shocking if we finished with 12 or more wins. IU is the definition of mediocre, but they’re not completely atrocious.

Well, I am basing it on the teams left.  It sure makes it tough to predict when we beat Iowa at Iowa and lose to Rutgers and Purdue at home, but I'll say again... we have 4 wins.  To get to 8 we need which 4?  at NW, at Purdue, at Rutgers, vs. MSU?  I'm not betting on winning all 4 of those.  To get to 10 we'd also need what?  vs. MN and at MSU?  If we win all 6 of those, I really do think that will be a pretty big feat.  Just asking - do you think we'll win all 6 of those?

6 minutes ago, BGleas said:

I hear what you're saying, but he benched Phinisee just a few weeks ago. This also wasn't a case of losing 5 straight. IU just had their biggest win in years, Archie shouldn't have to worry about his best player and other veteran players to actually show up for the follow-up game. 

I agree he shouldn't, but that is an ongoing theme with his teams.  Either he really has a knack for picking kids who are just unmotivated, or there is something about how he handles his program that leads to the issue.  Because as someone posted earlier, what happened today is becoming the rule under Miller.  We follow up good wins with losses.

2 hours ago, Seeking6 said:

With the exception of about 12 minutes it seems our guys read more social media about how great they were over the last 40 hours. So disappointing. Players. Staff. Kudos to Rutgers...they hit some phenomenal shots.

You just can't lose at home to Northwestern, Rutgers, Purdue....enjoy the next 9 days guys. Had a perfect chance to get to 5-4 and now uphill the rest of the way.

WAY uphill unfortunately 

29 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

but they have not won since December and never won at AH.  You can't justify this loss in any way because it is inexcusable.  We have seen this many times over the years and just heard this stat on Assembly Call.  Last year we beat 4 top 25 teams but lost the very next game against an unranked team.

Just to clarify - it's time to be negative now right?  If so, I have a couple comments.

4 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I agree he shouldn't, but that is an ongoing theme with his teams.  Either he really has a knack for picking kids who are just unmotivated, or there is something about how he handles his program that leads to the issue.  Because as someone posted earlier, what happened today is becoming the rule under Miller.  We follow up good wins with losses.

I don’t like your point at all ....the problem is you are 100% correct 

leal and Galloway are 110% ers when it comeS to effort and that will reflect in the next  couple years as it becomes their team ....May be too late though 

2 minutes ago, iufaninand said:

Iu fan for 50 years.  I now result to DVR the games and based on the comments on the board, I don’t think I’ll waste my time watching this one

I have been doing that quite a bit lately.  I did watch the Iowa game live and that ended up pretty well so I thought I would give this one a go too.

Silly me.

11 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I can't really disagree with that. It's just really disappointing to have all of these Indiana kids, and even they don't seem to get it or really care. 

14 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

Well, I am basing it on the teams left.  It sure makes it tough to predict when we beat Iowa at Iowa and lose to Rutgers and Purdue at home, but I'll say again... we have 4 wins.  To get to 8 we need which 4?  at NW, at Purdue, at Rutgers, vs. MSU?  I'm not betting on winning all 4 of those.  To get to 10 we'd also need what?  vs. MN and at MSU?  If we win all 6 of those, I really do think that will be a pretty big feat.  Just asking - do you think we'll win all 6 of those?

If we go 8-12, we might as well go 4-16.  Neither will get us in the tournament.  We need to get to 15-12 regular season and win one game in the BTT (if there is a BTT).  15-12 (with no BTT) or 16-13 (with BTT) should get us in.  Anything less than that and we are still on the tournament drought graphic next season.

8 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

It'll never go away.

You know, there may we'll come a day when I say, "we gave him every chance in the world, but now it's time to move on."

I did that with Davis, and Crean (won't comment on Sampson because I didn't care for his hiring in the first place...especially if what I heard about Herbert and Greenspan is true) and I'll give Archie the full benefit of the doubt until that day comes.

I hear ya, IUFLA....You and I seem to always agree on many topics both good and bad when it comes to IU. I will always give a coach his due contractual time as well as time to rebuild. Like you said, “If there comes a time to say, we gave him every chance....time to move on”....I will do that, no questions asked.  I reluctantly, but eventually said that about Knight. The problem I had with Crean is, He was allowed to stay too long, recruited more outside of Indiana than in and his recruiting style turned some players off. 

I am wondering why it is that we play with more emotion and play harder on the road than we do at home.  Is it we get to comfortable at home and maybe because we have played weaker teams at home.  Besides Nebraska all of our true road games have been against top competition.  If it is they get up for the top competition and not the weaker teams that is partially on the coach.  They need to come into every game with the same attitude and not worry about who you are playing.  With how weak the home schedule has been compared to the road we shouldn't be 2-3 at home.

Archived