2 Steps Forward at Iowa and 3 Steps back Today

mcity

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Not sure you can really extrapolate the higher recruit ranking to increased development. There are top 50 kids who never progress to being even good players at the college level.

I've always thought a lot of it hinged on maturity and work ethic...Some kids reach their playing potential in high school...The better competition exposes that...

Are you saying top 50 guys don't develop at the rate of 100+ guys?  Don't know the answer but that seems unlikely.  I think you understand my point.  A back court consisting of 3 x 100+ recruits is just not talented enough imo, especially when development stalls for Al and Rob. 

2 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

Are you saying top 50 guys don't develop at the rate of 100+ guys?  Don't know the answer but that seems unlikely.  I think you understand my point.  A back court consisting of 3 x 100+ recruits is just not talented enough imo, especially when development stalls for Al and Rob. 

No, I'm saying that's not something that can really be a valid comparison...Some kids are more college ready right off the bat, hence less real room for growth as a player. Armaan made significant strides because he worked to reach his potential. I'm sure if we go back and look at the rankings, he's passed many that were above him...

I take Al out of the equation because he was essentially a Crean recruit that came to IU anyway...He has improved over his 4 years, but I've said on this board many times that as long as Al is starting for us, we'll have issues challenging for a B1G championship...

Rob is a dilemma for me...Tough, and a great on the ball defender...But his height does impact who he can guard effectively (see Geo Baker) and he doesn't go to the hoop with his head up...he goes, it's going up...

The competition is catching up to him though (hello, Mr Lander)...

19 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I don't think the talent is there to really compete at the National level that we would like, but the talent is there when compared against the BIG.  We are Top 5 in talent in this conference based on recruiting rankings.  We just don't do a good job of getting good consistent production out of that talent.

19 minutes ago, IUCrazy2 said:

I don't think the talent is there to really compete at the National level that we would like, but the talent is there when compared against the BIG.  We are Top 5 in talent in this conference based on recruiting rankings.  We just don't do a good job of getting good consistent production out of that talent.

I would say our backcourt (Al, Rob, Armaan) is in the bottom half of the Big 10 in talent.  Not a great recipe for success in a sport driven by good backcourt play. 

32 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

I would say our backcourt (Al, Rob, Armaan) is in the bottom half of the Big 10 in talent.  Not a great recipe for success in a sport driven by good backcourt play. 

NSF my friend.  I would say the game is driven by "beyond the arc" play.  A guy like Randy Wittman would have thrived in this CBB era.  

33 minutes ago, rico said:

NSF my friend.  I would say the game is driven by "beyond the arc" play.  A guy like Randy Wittman would have thrived in this CBB era.  

You may be right.  I actually think next year's trio of senior Rob, junior Armaan, and soph Lander could be pretty special in the backcourt though.  That group could take us a long way with or without TJD.  

12 minutes ago, CincyHoosier said:

You may be right.  I actually think next year's trio of senior Rob, junior Armaan, and soph Lander could be pretty special in the backcourt though.  That group could take us a long way with or without TJD.  

Add in Leal and Stewart and I agree they could be good next year. If the offensive woes continue then it may be time for a new coach but I think we'll see a lot of improvement next season.

Archived