The Maturity of Khristian Lander

IUFLA

Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah...none of our seniors ever transfer 🙄

Its my opinion because it’s my opinion. Based on what I’m seeing on the court and on the sideline with those guys and the fact Archie has transfers every year here. Hope I’m wrong.

I haven't noticed anything on the sidelines that would make me worry

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah...none of our seniors ever transfer 🙄

Its my opinion because it’s my opinion. Based on what I’m seeing on the court and on the sideline with those guys and the fact Archie has transfers every year here. Hope I’m wrong.

Beside Justin Smith, who?

I believe Smith transferred because he wanted to have a green light to shoot from 3 and Archie was never going to give that to him. 

And that's been bourne out...he was 2-3 from 3 in his 2nd game for the Razorbacks, then missed 13 straight...hasn't taken one in the last 5 games...

Careful what you wish for...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Beside Justin Smith, who?

I believe Smith transferred because he wanted to have a green light to shoot from 3 and Archie was never going to give that to him. 

And that's been bourne out...he was 2-3 from 3 in his 2nd game for the Razorbacks, then missed 13 straight...hasn't taken one in the last 5 games...

Careful what you wish for...

Archie has only been here 3 years and the kid was a starter. It’s not unheard of. Anyways I hope I’m wrong...but just getting vibe some things aren’t all perfect there.

I’d like to see Lander take Al’s starting role. Christian would need subbed  more often, but between Leal and AL we should be able to pull that off. I can live with a Freshmen mistakes, but I can’t when a Senior dribbles the ball off his leg, or drives into a crowd at crucial times of the game . 

30 minutes ago, Bowhunter said:

I’d like to see Lander take Al’s starting role. Christian would need subbed  more often, but between Leal and AL we should be able to pull that off. I can live with a Freshmen mistakes, but I can’t when a Senior dribbles the ball off his leg, or drives into a crowd at crucial times of the game . 

I love the idea if he's ready.  Archie has to win now.  He is starting to give KL a little more time.  Hopefully that keeps trending up.  It's hard to see him going to a starting role this year, but we definitely can hope he will be a solid starter next year.  Maybe we can all hope that we'll start seeing more evening out of the minutes between KL, Leal, Galloway, RP, and Al with Armaan, TJD, and Race playing a lot of minutes?  Gradually more minutes for JG for Race or TJD.  I guess I left out Hunter.  I guess keep him in that first group with even minutes?    

11 hours ago, Reacher said:

Back to Lander, I saw him really fighting on D, staying with his man and not fouling. He has improved greatly. 

Agree. He has great feet on D.  Early on he was using his hands a ton and getting himself into trouble, but he’s using his feet and body more.  

2 hours ago, Bowhunter said:

I get that, but to be fair to Al, did you see Trice for Wisky late in the OSU game? Multiple unforced errors of the type you describe, trying to do too much on his own

7 minutes ago, 13th&Jackson said:

I get that, but to be fair to Al, did you see Trice for Wisky late in the OSU game? Multiple unforced errors of the type you describe, trying to do too much on his own

I am not just going off one game in his career. He would be a sub on most teams even as a senior. I would prefer for his minutes to be split between the three Freshmen, Leal, Lander and Geronimo. The still like Rob and Franklin as our main two guards. Illinois is going to be a rough team to experiment and I get that, but those three guys IMO have earned some of his minutes. 

Just my two cents. Just barely seeing the glimpses of Mr. Lander. Saw it yesterday but it's a work in progress. I remember Cody adding 40lbs or so to his frame from early June until end of summer before his freshman season. Anything we get this year from Lander is pure gravy. Minutes, good and bad play,etc....all gravy for him to learn and lead this team along with others this summer and be ready for major minutes next fall. 

He's a good one...and potentially a really good one. Just takes time and this year with the schedule there isn't time for experimentation. 

• 1 month later...

Bringing this one back up, for a ray of sunshine amidst all the gloom and doom...

Khristian had a pretty good game Saturday...7 points on 3-8, 1-3 from 3, with 2 assists 1 TO in 16 minutes...

But what I saw that impressed me was the way he was able to get to the basket...So quick and with that natural ability to avoid the defense...

I've read a lot of posts where people are skeptical, but I think this kid is going to be a great one for IU...The court vision, the natural ability...

Really excited to see what he can do after an off season of work...

14 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Bringing this one back up, for a ray of sunshine amidst all the gloom and doom...

Khristian had a pretty good game Saturday...7 points on 3-8, 1-3 from 3, with 2 assists 1 TO in 16 minutes...

But what I saw that impressed me was the way he was able to get to the basket...So quick and with that natural ability to avoid the defense...

I've read a lot of posts where people are skeptical, but I think this kid is going to be a great one for IU...The court vision, the natural ability...

Really excited to see what he can do after an off season of work...

I got to be honest here.  I really figured Lander would be more significant to this team at this point in the season than what he is.

3 minutes ago, rico said:

I got to be honest here.  I really figured Lander would be more significant to this team at this point in the season than what he is.

I’m with you on this.  His improvement has been marginal at best.  Not giving up on the kid because he’s still very, very young but thought he would contribute more than in a couple of games. 

2 minutes ago, rico said:

I did, too.  I think the limited pre-season hurt his development.  I don't think CAM has developed him well.  A waste of talent on a team that is now behind the 8-ball as far as the NCAAT.

2 minutes ago, rico said:

Well, if you look at the fact that he really should be playing against high school kids rather than the men in the B1G, I think he's about where he should be...I feel MUCH more comfortable with him dribbling against pressure than I do Rob or Al...And he's really good, especially with Trayce, on the pick and roll...

His game is coming together...Seems like he fills in a new piece every time he plays...

12 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Well, if you look at the fact that he really should be playing against high school kids rather than the men in the B1G, I think he's about where he should be...I feel MUCH more comfortable with him dribbling against pressure than I do Rob or Al...And he's really good, especially with Trayce, on the pick and roll...

His game is coming together...Seems like he fills in a new piece every time he plays...

I hope and pray that you are spot on...

On 1/24/2021 at 9:01 PM, dgambill said:

Archie has only been here 3 years and the kid was a starter. It’s not unheard of. Anyways I hope I’m wrong...but just getting vibe some things aren’t all perfect there.

I think the loss of two of our front court, transfer and injury, has cost us a couple games, but I’m so damn sick of excuses and what ifs. I’ve been doing it since Henderson hurt knee in 92, dads been doing it since I was a one year old with May. Besides those two huge conceivable titles 6th and 7th, the excuses we use now are “ Hulls shoulder-which has nothing to do with looking like our flipping number one overall seed has ever seen a 2/3. Our current back court honestly are back ups or mop up players, excluding Franklin, that kid is a player but wouldn’t surprise me if he got the heck outta dodge. Excuses are getting harder and harder, 

I think Lander would've benefited from a normal non conference schedule with more cupcake teams, assuming Archie would've played him enough minutes.  He could've got some confidence carving up Northeast Tennessee State A&M Institute of Technology's defense and hopefully that would carry forward.   

23 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

I think Lander would've benefited from a normal non conference schedule with more cupcake teams, assuming Archie would've played him enough minutes.  He could've got some confidence carving up Northeast Tennessee State A&M Institute of Technology's defense and hopefully that would carry forward.   

NTSAMIT is ranked #1 in Kenpoms defensive ratings.  :coffee:

Archived