The Maturity of Khristian Lander

IUFLA

31 minutes ago, EvilleHoosier said:

I think Lander would've benefited from a normal non conference schedule with more cupcake teams, assuming Archie would've played him enough minutes.  He could've got some confidence carving up Northeast Tennessee State A&M Institute of Technology's defense and hopefully that would carry forward.   

I think he has benefited more playing in the best conference in basketball this year on a major D1 team with great trainers and coaches without losing any eligibility than playing against 16 year olds in high school. 

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

I think he has benefited more playing in the best conference in basketball this year on a major D1 team with great trainers and coaches without losing any eligibility than playing against 16 year olds in high school. 

Yep...he's playing against men...D'Mitric Trice is 24, Mike Smith is 23, and Trent Frazier and Geo Baker are both 22...a lot of both physical and mental maturity differences between 18 and 22-24 year olds...

The other thing I've noticed...He plays with a bit of a chip on his shoulder...He was jawing with Geo Baker in the first Rutgers game...

Kid continues to add a little here and there every time I watch him. I love that he is finally being agressive taking it to the rim. He has good length and athleticism so he should be able to finish better than Rob. That will open up more open looks from outside as well. I just wish he would take a couple steps in when on the perimeter. Many times he is 3-4 feet behind the 3pt line and if he would be just another step in he still would have plenty of room to get his shot off and perhaps hit a better percentage. He takes even deeper 3s than Jerome. I think he is getting there slowly but surely. Hope we can keep him around.

so, i don't see it as a wasted year.  he lifts and gets nutrition with college trainers.  he starts his degree early.  he practices with college players and coach every day.  and most importantly, he has no intentions of staying for 4 years.  also, i am excited and very hopeful for his potential and ceiling.  that said, i still think we are really reaching to say that he is looking good right now.  he's quick, but not finishing.  he doesn't shoot well from outside.  he looks like he can make exciting passes, but his asst/TO ratio is not good.  anyway, i am not seeing it now, but sure hope he is the guy next season!

20 minutes ago, NCHoosier32 said:

i still think we are really reaching to say that he is looking good right now.  he's quick, but not finishing.  he doesn't shoot well from outside.  he looks like he can make exciting passes, but his asst/TO ratio is not good.  anyway, i am not seeing it now, but sure hope he is the guy next season!

Just citing the progression...He had a couple of nice drives to the basket (and he did finish 2 of them). As his confidence grows, so will his game...

It'll be interesting the next couple of years seeing, what I think are going to be 3 really good point guards go head to head...

Curbelo, Meechie Johnson Jr, and Khristian Lander...All freshmen...Curbelo has had the luxury of having Ayo and Kofi on his team. He's second in the B1G in turnovers (66) to Ayo (72) in spite of only playing half the minutes Dosunmu has. Underwood has definitely let him play through mistakes...

Johnson, is the same as Khristian...Should be finishing his Senior season in high school...Small sample size, but he's a confident kid that can shoot from 3 and has nice handles and floor vision...OSU has a good one, I'm afraid, there...

2 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Just citing the progression...He had a couple of nice drives to the basket (and he did finish 2 of them). As his confidence grows, so will his game...

It'll be interesting the next couple of years seeing, what I think are going to be 3 really good point guards go head to head...

Curbelo, Meechie Johnson Jr, and Khristian Lander...All freshmen...Curbelo has had the luxury of having Ayo and Kofi on his team. He's second in the B1G in turnovers (66) to Ayo (72) in spite of only playing half the minutes Dosunmu has. Underwood has definitely let him play through mistakes...

Johnson, is the same as Khristian...Should be finishing his Senior season in high school...Small sample size, but he's a confident kid that can shoot from 3 and has nice handles and floor vision...OSU has a good one, I'm afraid, there...

Yeah I was going to point to Curbelo too. He makes tons of bone headed mistakes but he is agressive and learning from it. He benefits from being on a much better team and they can overcome them but also his coach deserves credit for letting him play through them.

Just now, dgambill said:

Yeah I was going to point to Curbelo too. He makes tons of bone headed mistakes but he is agressive and learning from it. He benefits from being on a much better team and they can overcome them but also his coach deserves credit for letting him play through them.

Curbelo's main problem is he leaves his feet and has nowhere to go a lot of times...It sometimes works out because he can find an open man, but I bet I've seen him make 2 dozen turnovers that way this year...

3 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

Curbelo's main problem is he leaves his feet and has nowhere to go a lot of times...It sometimes works out because he can find an open man, but I bet I've seen him make 2 dozen turnovers that way this year...

Yogi used to do that a lot. One of my biggest pet peeves...along with picking up your dribble and driving to the baseline/coffin corner. Anyways...seen that a lot with freshman who were used to getting away with that stuff in high school because they could out athletic most kids...not in college though.

3 hours ago, rico said:

I got to be honest here.  I really figured Lander would be more significant to this team at this point in the season than what he is.

I believe he could have been, with more playing time.  He is so much quicker all around than some teammates.   

22 minutes ago, John S said:

I believe he could have been, with more playing time.  He is so much quicker all around than some teammates.   

Ummm, I was one that was clamoring for him to get more minute quite a while back.  And I wasn't the only one.

8 minutes ago, rico said:

Ummm, I was one that was clamoring for him to get more minute quite a while back.  And I wasn't the only one.

I think Archie has brought him along just fine...

He definitely wasn't ready at the beginning of the year for the competition he was facing...As we've went along, his minutes have increased, and the potential is turning into better play...

We didn't have the luxury of playing him like Underwood did with Curbelo...our margin for error was much smaller...

34 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

I think Archie has brought him along just fine...

He definitely wasn't ready at the beginning of the year for the competition he was facing...As we've went along, his minutes have increased, and the potential is turning into better play...

We didn't have the luxury of playing him like Underwood did with Curbelo...our margin for error was much smaller...

Fair enough my friend.

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

I do think the “he should still be in high school” is a bit overplayed. He is 18 isn’t he? Was he held back a year or one of the older ones in his class? I honestly don’t know. I have a 7th grader who is 12. He plays against several other 7th graders that are 14. 

30 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

I do think the “he should still be in high school” is a bit overplayed. He is 18 isn’t he? Was he held back a year or one of the older ones in his class? I honestly don’t know. I have a 7th grader who is 12. He plays against several other 7th graders that are 14. 

He just turned 18 before the season started, so yes he technically should be a senior in high school.  

34 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

He turned 18 over the summer in August, so no, he was right where he should have been.

Not sure how the "he should still be in high school" is overplayed though. His reclassifying basically gave him a free year to develop playing against better competition, and with access to better facilities. He truly is a high school kid playing against men in the B1G...

The Dickinson kid for Michigan is a freshman too, and he's 20...

9 minutes ago, IUFLA said:

He turned 18 over the summer in August, so no, he was right where he should have been.

Not sure how the "he should still be in high school" is overplayed though. His reclassifying basically gave him a free year to develop playing against better competition, and with access to better facilities. He truly is a high school kid playing against men in the B1G...

The Dickinson kid for Michigan is a freshman too, and he's 20...

I agree. I’m the one that originally brought those points up. This turned out to be a best case scenario for him. There are a lot of freshmen playing in D1 at the age of 18. That’s why I would consider it “overplayed.” 

Just now, mkaser said:

The kind of confidence only comes from playing time and a whole lotta of it

That's the thing though...He really HASN'T gotten a lot of time...he didn't join the team until the 2nd semester (he graduated high school mid semester of his senior year) and is only averaging 6 minutes per game...

So he's getting brought along even more slowly that Khristian, even though OSU has an excellent team around him...

27 minutes ago, ThatGuy said:

I agree. I’m the one that originally brought those points up. This turned out to be a best case scenario for him. There are a lot of freshmen playing in D1 at the age of 18. That’s why I would consider it “overplayed.” 

It's pretty rare for a freshman on a basketball team to not turn 19 before the end of their season. 

Archived