Player Updates

4 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Oh sure -- except for the "any means" part. My son's teams (middle school, high school and AAU) all ran it, and I ran it when I coached (off and on) for junior high. No fouling but dive on the floor etc. to get it.

Did you call it "hamburger?"

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
3 hours ago, IU Scott said:

I remember having the ball at mid court with one person on one end line and another at the other end line.  You had to race to mid court to see who would get the ball.  

I know a guy that still does it from time to time along with some physical rebounding drills. 

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Marshall is just doing his job. He’s not paid to coach shooting. 

Yep...so who is coaching the shooting? If we don’t have someone then maybe that speaks to the priorities of our program. There is a time and place for everything of course but I’d much rather see pictures of our guys working on their shooting. I think I’ve seen enough workout pics of the Hoosiers to last me a lifetime....honestly I’ve had enough of Cliffs self promotion of his work with the kids. 

5 hours ago, dgambill said:

Much prefer to see him shooting 3s on the court then “in the lab”....smh

#moregymlesslab

1 hour ago, DC2345 said:

Marshall is just doing his job. He’s not paid to coach shooting. 

If Stewart's shooting % falls off like Fitzner's we know one place to look for a reason. Fitzner was 41% from three at St Mary's, under 31% at IU.

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Yep...so who is coaching the shooting? If we don’t have someone then maybe that speaks to the priorities of our program. There is a time and place for everything of course but I’d much rather see pictures of our guys working on their shooting. I think I’ve seen enough workout pics of the Hoosiers to last me a lifetime....honestly I’ve had enough of Cliffs self promotion of his work with the kids. 

I don't think he's affecting their shooting. I worry he might be getting players injured, though.

Under Crean, it seemed like there were lots of practice injuries to players' knees, feet, and lower legs. Players being in boots were a common sight. This was often blamed on the sand pit Crean used in practice.

I've heard that sand pit is no longer used and under Miller the lower leg practice injuries have pretty much gone away. In the last 3 years, however, there have been 3 back injuries and a lower abdominal injury, none coming in a game. I'm concerned these could be lifting injuries. If so, Marshall needs to make a change to better protect the players.

2 hours ago, dgambill said:

Sorry but I don’t have a problem with a guy doing his job. It’s on the other coaches to do theirs and that in lies the problem. He’s doing what he’s paid to do. The question is are the others doing theirs?  

2 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

If Stewart's shooting % falls off like Fitzner's we know one place to look for a reason. Fitzner was 41% from three at St Mary's, under 31% at IU.

Lifting has just about nothing to do with shooting. That’s a myth that guys use that don’t know what they’re talking about. Now if you get to bulky and don’t shoot enough it can but that rarely happens especially with basketball players because of the amount of cardio they do while playing basketball. 

Just now, DC2345 said:

Lifting has just about nothing to do with shooting. That’s a myth that guys use that don’t know what they’re talking about. Now if you get to bulky and don’t shoot enough it can but that rarely happens especially with basketball players because of the amount of cardio they do while playing basketball. 

Yup. As long as you're shooting and playing basketball in conjunction with lifting, then lifting has no negative impact on shooting, and these guys are all working on all of this together. 

1 hour ago, BGleas said:

Yup. As long as you're shooting and playing basketball in conjunction with lifting, then lifting has no negative impact on shooting, and these guys are all working on all of this together. 

I don’t understand really why the lifting myth continues. Literally every D1 program and NBA team has a weight lifting and conditioning program, every single one, and yet in a couple days someone will post 1) how our team must not practice free throws (really??), and 2) our poor shooting must be because they’re weight lifting. Smh 

13 hours ago, dgambill said:

Lol...we did that at our school until I believe a kid broke his collarbone lol

Thats the exact same thing that happened in the original XFL.  "We arent guna have no p#$$y coin toss!  You want the ball you gota get it!"  And in the first 20 seconds of the league a guy destroys his shoulder on live tv.  They brought back the coin toss the next week. 🤣

8 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

I don’t understand really why the lifting myth continues. Literally every D1 program and NBA team has a weight lifting and conditioning program, every single one, and yet in a couple days someone will post 1) how our team must not practice free throws (really??), and 2) our poor shooting must be because they’re weight lifting. Smh 

Everybody also loves the strength and conditioning guys going back to Je’Ney Jackson. The power of ‘before and after’ pictures. Haha

And BTW, guys bulked up under Je’Ney and became outstanding shooters.

12 hours ago, 13th&Jackson said:

10 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Not questioning the fact that they are training, but possibly how they are training. Impressed by how you flattened that straw man you set up, though.

14 hours ago, DC2345 said:

Sorry but I don’t have a problem with a guy doing his job. It’s on the other coaches to do theirs and that in lies the problem. He’s doing what he’s paid to do. The question is are the others doing theirs?  

I hate the self promotion that goes into it...they’ve been selling us the last several years with before and after and vertices....I’m sick of it. Just give me good ol putting the ball in the basket. I’m not mad at Clif per say but if the focus of the program is on the weight room etc then where is the focus on the court work? All we get is what they post to social media. I’m wondering if too much time is spent on these other parts of the program and not enough on free throws and shooting and situational basketball. You only have so much time in a day...maybe they aren’t working out too much...but the visuals are controlled by the program...and Archie is taking heat over not coaching up the kids enough...and yet the program is showing us workout pics....it’s a disconnect..even if it isn’t the truth it’s just tone def.

13 hours ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Maybe the program should put out media of the team shooting free throws instead of lifting dumbbells lol. 

Archived