Matt Cross-Transfer

Hoosierfan1901

3 minutes ago, Hoosierdave said:

There’s also what, like 700 transfers per year nowadays? I like his style of play for sure and think it would be a great fit for us but 6 schools in 6 years doesn’t scream this kid is willing to trust the process with a program.

To quote the Miami Herald, Miami’s coach let him go since “he had trouble getting through to Cross, had confidence issues and became detached when he wasn’t playing well.” 

Im sorry but that just doesn’t excite me, I want kids with grit and fortitude.

If Archie hadn’t recruited him so heavily and you heard that quote, would you want the staff to jump into the mix or explore the field instead?

Sounds like he would fit right in with our current team lol. He shoots over 40% from 3...figure out what buttons to push and sign him up. Let’s not act like the kid is a troublemaker....heck we had two head cases last year and we had a better record then this year....this team lacks talent...bring it in and figure out how to make it work.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

Sounds like he would fit right in with our current team lol. He shoots over 40% from 3...figure out what buttons to push and sign him up. Let’s not act like the kid is a troublemaker....heck we had two head cases last year and we had a better record then this year....this team lacks talent...bring it in and figure out how to make it work.

I know I'd take a Jordan Crawford in a second. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, dgambill said:

“Better record last year” is a little bit of a distortion of the circumstances wouldn’t you say? Just count two cupcakes, similar to this year, and where are we last year?

• Like 1

None of us know whether he’s a true head case or not.  Archie will be in a position to know. How he proceeds will be telling.  

Out of all of the possibilities for a kid being kicked off his team, the story that has come out is probably the best case scenario.  It’s honestly along the lines of what I expected.  The football thing seems a bit flaky and out of focus since he hasn’t played in awhile. He sounds like he needs stability and guidance.  

As a player, I think he’s ideal if he gets his focus and attitude in check. He’s under scrutiny now.  If he makes another move after this one, he might as well carry a Scarlett letter around for being the biggest flake or malcontent of the NCAA.  

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

“Better record last year” is a little bit of a distortion of the circumstances wouldn’t you say? Just count two cupcakes, similar to this year, and where are we last year?

So your saying we are just as good....either way I don’t think it was bad locker room that had been bringing down our seasons....more like lack of shooting. 

No offense to anybody I’ll believe there’s no chance when he chooses another school. I’ve yet to see anybody on here get it right at a high clip. Again, no offense, not saying don’t stop posting what you want and what you hear, but my hopes have been burned too many times to take much stock in “insiders”. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kyhoosier29 said:

I’m simply saying you comparing last year’s record to this year’s record is misleading. 

So if I accept you are correct then basically our record is the same...despite the exit of supposedly two guys that were locker room problems. Seems the common denominator across all 4 years is Archie.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dgambill said:

So if I accept you are correct then basically our record is the same...despite the exit of supposedly two guys that were locker room problems. Seems the common denominator across all 4 years is Archie.

There’s no debating I’m correct that it’s misleading to simply compare the two records. The minimal cupcake games this year is proof of that. If you remove all but two cupcake games from last year’s schedule did we have a top 10 SOS like this year? I’m not interested in debating you. Nobody is happy about being wildly inconsistent and 9-7. But we’ve also improved in EVERY possible statistical category over the four year period of CAM’s tenure, so I would likely disagree with your assessment regardless of how frustrated I am. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, kyhoosier29 said:

There’s no debating I’m correct that it’s misleading to simply compare the two records. The minimal cupcake games this year is proof of that. If you remove all but two cupcake games from last year’s schedule did we have a top 10 SOS like this year? I’m not interested in debating you. Nobody is happy about being wildly inconsistent and 9-7. But we’ve also improved in EVERY possible statistical category over the four year period of CAM’s tenure, so I would likely disagree with your assessment regardless of how frustrated I am. 

Wins and losses make up at least one statistical category. So, no, not in "EVERY possible statistical category" have they improved.

Through 9 B1G games last season IU was 5-4. This season they're 4-5.

In the regular season last season IU had a record of 15-12 if you remove the 4 extra cupcakes. They're currently 9-7 so they'd need to go 6-5 the rest of the way just to match that. Can they do that? It remains to be seen.

The bottom line in basketball is wins and losses. Eventually the improvements need to show up in that statistical category. You've obviously made up your mind but it's not misleading to look at the most important statistic and point out that a positive change there is lacking.

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Wins and losses make up at least one statistical category. So, no, not in "EVERY possible statistical category" have they improved.

Through 9 B1G games last season IU was 5-4. This season they're 4-5.

In the regular season last season IU had a record of 15-12 if you remove the 4 extra cupcakes. They're currently 9-7 so they'd need to go 6-5 the rest of the way just to match that. Can they do that? It remains to be seen.

The bottom line in basketball is wins and losses. Eventually the improvements need to show up in that statistical category. You've obviously made up your mind but it's not misleading to look at the most important statistic and point out that a positive change there is lacking.

We HAVE improved in the wins category every year. Your case is that we haven’t improved over the first 9 Big10 games vs last year’s first 9 Big10 games? Really? I’m sure you can cherry pick some other stats as well to try to disprove the fact that we’ve improved in the TOTAL wins category, adj D, adj O, 3 pt %... every year since CAM has been here. As wildly inconsistent and frustrating this year has been I still feel like we’re moving in the right direction. That can certainly change over the next 2-3 months. 

3 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

We HAVE improved in the wins category every year. Your case is that we haven’t improved over the first 9 Big10 games vs last year’s first 9 Big10 games? Really? I’m sure you can cherry pick some other stats as well to try to disprove the fact that we’ve improved in the TOTAL wins category, adj D, adj O, 3 pt %... every year since CAM has been here. As wildly inconsistent and frustrating this year has been I still feel like we’re moving in the right direction. That can certainly change over the next 2-3 months. 

In a normal year at this time we would be 13-7 because we would have played 4 more non conference games.  Those 4 games would have been pretty much gimme games so what we were after 20 games last year.  You are right we improved every year but not a huge improvement, 16,19,20 and could have been more if the big tournament and the NCAA tournament wasn't cancelled.

17 minutes ago, kyhoosier29 said:

Except in conference. As you yourself pointed out, it's hard to compare OOC between seasons so the logical conclusion would be that conference record would be the best indicator since that would be closest season to season.

Season 1: 9-9 (0.500)

Season 2: 8-12 (0.400)

Season 3: 9-11 (0.450)

Once again, they're not improving in every possible statistical category as you claimed.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

12 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

In a normal year at this time we would be 13-7 because we would have played 4 more non conference games.  Those 4 games would have been pretty much gimme games so what we were after 20 games last year.  You are right we improved every year but not a huge improvement, 16,19,20 and could have been more if the big tournament and the NCAA tournament wasn't cancelled.

In normal season, we probably win at least 2/3 Rutgers/PU/NW at home games and lose Iowa game. No fans is a big deal. 

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Except in conference. As you yourself pointed out, it's hard to compare OOC between seasons so the logical conclusion would be that conference record would be the best indicator since that would be closest season to season.

Season 1: 9-9 (0.500)

Season 2: 8-12 (0.400)

Season 3: 9-11 (0.450)

Once again, they're not improving in every possible statistical category as you claimed.

Well the tournament selection committee looks at the overall record and not the conference record.  I have read people who went through the mock selection committee say they never discuss what conference you are in or how many teams from a conference gets in.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Well the tournament selection committee looks at the overall record and not the conference record.  I have read people who went through the mock selection committee say they never discuss what conference you are in or how many teams from a conference gets in.

Who's talking about the selection committee? kyhoosier said they've improved every year in every possible statistical category. Posters like that try to make it seem that any criticism is unwarranted. Not true.

Also, conference play is 2/3 of the season so it very much matters. The worse you do there the better your OOC record will have to be. It's also the same teams so comparing that season to season would give a better idea of a team than OOC.

Edited by go_iu_bb
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

Who's talking about the selection committee? kyhoosier said they've improved every year in every possible statistical category. Posters like that try to make it seem that any criticism is unwarranted. Not true.

Well if you look at overall wins we have improved every year and that why I brought up that is what the committee looks at. 16,19. 20 and more last year

1 hour ago, go_iu_bb said:

Also, conference play is 2/3 of the season so it very much matters. The worse you do there the better your OOC record will have to be. It's also the same teams so comparing that season to season would give a better idea of a team than OOC.

Did I say any criticism is unwarranted? Absolutely not. Matter of fact, I said I was frustrated with the inconsistency and my view could change in the next 2-3 months. Stop moving the goal posts in every rebuttal you have. I said comparing records from last year to this year is misleading. I also said we’ve improved in every statistical category. You rebutted conference record, fine. I also know that SOS has been higher every year of the four, so comparing records in general is short-sighted. If we keep improving by the metrics when it comes to overall D, overall O, and shooting in general, then the rest will take care of itself. Posters like you continuously find the negative in everything and it’s exhausting and old. I mean, your response to my post was to search for that one stat you could complain about. What can you ultimately do about it besides complain? I can answer that for you, nothing. 

• Like 4