Getting over the Hump

jojo123

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply
4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I am not saying he won't leave but as of right now I doubt he will get drafted this year.  Garza is a way  better player than TJD was and he came back after finding out he wouldn't be drafted.

Garza issue isn’t shooting...it’s defense...because he is very very slow of foot and unathletic..big difference. You know what you are right...your always right Scott.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Garza issue isn’t shooting...it’s defense...because he is very very slow of foot and unathletic..big difference. You know what you are right...your always right Scott.

Not always but on this I am.  There are very few guys in the NBA that solely scores with in 3 feet of the basket.  Even Drummond can step out and hit a12 foot shot,

3 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Not always but on this I am.  There are very few guys in the NBA that solely scores with in 3 feet of the basket.  Even Drummond can step out and hit a12 foot shot,

It’s not even 3s that TJD can’t hit, it’s anything outside of the paint.  That and his ineffective off hand.  They will love his athleticism and defense potential.  

1 minute ago, IUwins0708 said:

It’s not even 3s that TJD can’t hit, it’s anything outside of the paint.  That and his ineffective off hand.  They will love his athleticism and defense potential.  

Exactly and i think he might have hit 2 shots outside the lane in two years.  What is bad he is not great inside the paint unless it is right at the rim.  He has no low post moves at all but all he does is back his defender down to the basket. If he can't get to the basket he just flips the ball up hoping it goes in.

5 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Point is guys develop their shot over time...coming into the league many don’t have one. Look at onyeka okongwu 6th overall pick. 6’8-6’9 played exclusively around the rim at USC. 1-4 from 3 in college...lots come in without a shot...but just because you think he should learn to shoot in college doesn’t mean he won’t be helped with that in the nba.

18 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Point is guys develop their shot over time...coming into the league many don’t have one. Look at onyeka okongwu 6th overall pick. 6’8-6’9 played exclusively around the rim at USC. 1-4 from 3 in college...lots come in without a shot...but just because you think he should learn to shoot in college doesn’t mean he won’t be helped with that in the nba.

It is not really about shooting the 3 but he really does not have an offensive game outside of right at the rim.

1 hour ago, IU Scott said:

Until TJD can hit a shot outside 3 feet he will never see the door in the NBA

I really hope he comes back.  However, in the NBA, he would have 24/7 to work on it with the best coaches available. If he does come back and IU has respectable shooters, he would be gold in the middle without the defenses being able to sag in on him.

Just now, BDB said:

I really hope he comes back.  However, in the NBA, he would have 24/7 to work on it with the best coaches available. If he does come back and IU has respectable shooters, he would be gold in the middle without the defenses being able to sag in on him.

The thing is if he comes out there is a chance he won't be working with NBA people but people from the g-league.  I think he leaves but from my standpoint I don't get it if you are not going to be a 1st round pick.

1 minute ago, BDB said:

I have no doubt he’ll be a serviceable pro one day.  I just don’t see it now.  I understand they draft off potential, etc.  But he’s at least a year away IMO and coming back for just one more season  has more upside.   

Just now, IU Scott said:

The thing is if he comes out there is a chance he won't be working with NBA people but people from the g-league.  I think he leaves but from my standpoint I don't get it if you are not going to be a 1st round pick.

Well on the flip side, he has been at IU just short of two years and has not improved his shot.  Wasn't that a point of emphasis over the off-season?

2 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Also - if he has about a 5-10% chance of getting drafted this year, why did he come back?   These options were probably similar last year.   He has to like something about playing at IU with these guys.  

4 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Because it’s better competition....you get paid to play. I think it’s up to 125k now. Point is college ball means something different to these kids then it does to us. It’s just a stepping stone...or a hurdle. Basically it’s a hoop they have to jump through to get where they want to go. The sooner than can get past it the better. That is what college is to most high level recruits. Now many of the rest it is their career basically...the pinnacle. But for guys like Trayce and other elite athletes...it’s a formality. They don’t look at it the same way we would. It’s how soon will this be over and I can get on with my real life.

6 minutes ago, BDB said:

Well on the flip side, he has been at IU just short of two years and has not improved his shot.  Wasn't that a point of emphasis over the off-season?

Well what I saw from highlights of some pickup games he was hitting 3's and looked good doing it.  He might not have the confidence to shoot them during an actual game. Also in those highlights his shooting motion looked better than what we see in real games.

Just now, IU Scott said:

Well what I saw from highlights of some pickup games he was hitting 3's and looked good doing it.  He might not have the confidence to shoot them during an actual game. Also in those highlights his shooting motion looked better than what we see in real games.

It will only take one good workout for an NBA team to fall in love with his game and his potential.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

Because it’s better competition....you get paid to play. I think it’s up to 125k now. Point is college ball means something different to these kids then it does to us. It’s just a stepping stone...or a hurdle. Basically it’s a hoop they have to jump through to get where they want to go. The sooner than can get past it the better. That is what college is to most high level recruits. Now many of the rest it is their career basically...the pinnacle. But for guys like Trayce and other elite athletes...it’s a formality. They don’t look at it the same way we would. It’s how soon will this be over and I can get on with my real life.

If it were me or my son I would want to be able to come in and contribute right away.  I don't want to come in if I am not ready to play in the league.  I don't want to sit at the end of the bench and not get any meaningful court time.  Also would have no desire to play in the G-league in front of crowds like we have seen this year in college.

9 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

I honestly think he has good form. It certainly isn’t a jacked up unorthodoxed shot. He was shooting his free throws really well for most of the season up until the last few games. He does need a lot of work still but he has the tools and that is what nba scouts will see as well. Along with his long arms, timing on his shot blocking, ability to defend pick n roll. Lots of positives.

8 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

If it were me or my son I would want to be able to come in and contribute right away.  I don't want to come in if I am not ready to play in the league.  I don't want to sit at the end of the bench and not get any meaningful court time.  Also would have no desire to play in the G-league in front of crowds like we have seen this year in college.

No offense Scott but you aren’t the typical person. Let’s be real your old fashioned for this board much less compared to modern 20 year olds thinking.

3 minutes ago, dgambill said:

I honestly think he has good form. It certainly isn’t a jacked up unorthodoxed shot. He was shooting his free throws really well for most of the season up until the last few games. He does need a lot of work still but he has the tools and that is what nba scouts will see as well. Along with his long arms, timing on his shot blocking, ability to defend pick n roll. Lots of positives.

To me his motion is not great because he brings the ball to far back over his head.  You want you release and follow through going towards the basket and it is hard when you put the ball over your head.

6 minutes ago, dgambill said:

No offense Scott but you aren’t the typical person. Let’s be real your old fashioned for this board much less compared to modern 20 year olds thinking.

Never said I wasn't but I just think kids get to much bad advise by people who want to take advantage of them.  I am old school and was very competitive and that is why I wouldn't want to leave until I could contribute.  To me if your only goal is to get drafted then I don't think you are that competitive of a person.

Also you probably think it is a negative saying I am not the typical person but it is a compliment.

30 minutes ago, dgambill said:

It is quite possible that TJD could develop the shot at the next level. I do think there is a huge difference between him and guys like Oneyaka Okongwu.  Okongwu was an elite rim protector (nearly 3 bpg) at the college level despite being 6-8, was more athletic, and NBA scouts were comparing him to Bam Adebayo.  This led him to being picked #6. The last mock draft I seen TJD on was ESPN's a few months ago and he was at 49.  He's dropped off the other mock drafts I've seen. This would lead me to believe they don't have confidence on him developing a jumper. Without really knowing what the scouts think on him, I would have to guess they have him as a 5 in the modern NBA and are struggling seeing him being able to produce against the current NBA centers as well as guarding them.  

Looking at some of these mock drafts and some of the players currently in the 2nd rd, I don't know how TJD doesn't get drafted though.  I would much rather roll the dice on him, stick him in the G league for a year or two and see what you have than taking some of the guys listed who you know have zero chance of making your roster.

I was listening to ESPN radio while driving today. They were talking about Tenn Football. They were saying that at one time Tenn was a job that coaches wanted. Since 2009 they have had 5 head coaches and 2 int coaches. That’s a lot of coaches. It made me think of Indiana basketball are we becoming a place good coaches don’t want to come to, 

10 minutes ago, IU Scott said:

Never said I wasn't but I just think kids get to much bad advise by people who want to take advantage of them.  I am old school and was very competitive and that is why I wouldn't want to leave until I could contribute.  To me if your only goal is to get drafted then I don't think you are that competitive of a person.

Also you probably think it is a negative saying I am not the typical person but it is a compliment.

Don’t mean it as a negative. Just saying what we think is very likely not what a 20 year old elite athlete thinks. Not negative at all...just being realistic...for me too. I try to put myself in their shoes too but I have no clue.

4 minutes ago, OLDIUFAN said:

I was listening to ESPN radio while driving today. They were talking about Tenn Football. They were saying that at one time Tenn was a job that coaches wanted. Since 2009 they have had 5 head coaches and 2 int coaches. That’s a lot of coaches. It made me think of Indiana basketball are we becoming a place good coaches don’t want to come to, 

There is a lot more parity in men’s college basketball then football. Having to beat Alabama football every year is incredible long shot to make the playoffs. If your a really good basketball coach...you can be successful at any power 5 program. Look at Baylor...Texas Tech...Gonzaga....Villanova...heck how many mid majors like Butler and Wichita st VCU lots of programs have a shot. IU will always be a good coach away from getting back to sweet sixteens and beyond.

Archived