Illinois pregame 2/2 9:00 PM ET ESPN

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm hoping/expecting TJD and team respond to this Dosunmu quote from the last Illinois game: 

“I knew around the nine or ten-minute mark, they were thinking when I came off the ball screen, I was going to hit the corner or hit the shake. And then I saw Trayce Jackson-Davis, he kept just coming and leaving right away and that’s when I was able to get in there, get a floater off, got a layup and got some easy transition 3s. So basically I was just playing a mind game with them, watched a lot of film on them and I knew that when the duration of the game increases, their tendencies start to get lazy so I just wanted to attack on that.”

Kenpom has us as a 2pt loss with 42% chance to win. With us only being favored to win 3 more games (@NW, MN, MSU), we need to win those and at least 2 of the ones as underdogs to get to .500 in the Big Ten (not counting if any missed games are resched). 

You would think this is a great opportunity for one of those underdog wins since we played a winnable game on the road vs. them last time, but with this team there is no rhyme or reason to any games (home vs. road, good vs bad opponent, etc.) so I have no idea if we'll win or get blown out. The only thing that would surprise me is if we won big since that hasn't really happened vs. a quality team.

We seem to play better coming of a hiatus (FSU, Butler and Iowa) and off a loss (except NW) so I'm hopeful, but that's the best I can be with this team. 

Hela vs Doctor Strange | Fandom

1 hour ago, TheWatShot said:

Another indictment of our coaching staff. 

So, players getting lazy is bad coaching. The plan is there,  but players get lazy, according to the quote.

I am sure Archie's teaches "hey guys, lets halfass our execution as the game goes on".   Geesh

Let me guess, bad coaching because he allows it?

When the plan is right and your all star player does not execute a working plan, that is an indictment of the player. 

1 minute ago, bluegrassIU said:

So, players getting lazy is bad coaching. The plan is there,  but players get lazy, according to the quote.

I am sure Archie's teaches "hey guys, lets halfass our execution as the game goes on".   Geesh

When the plan is right and your all star player does not execute a working plan, that is an indictment of the player. 

He recruited these players so it's still ultimately his responsibility either way.

1 minute ago, dbmhoosier said:

He recruited these players so it's still ultimately his responsibility either way.

Good grief.

Now we should not have recruited TJD?

LOL, I am frustrated too. But some of you just zero in on overly simplistic responses.

CTC sucks, Archie sucks.

Yes, you recruit TJD. No, you do not bench him on principle in a tight conference game. Yes, sometimes fault falls on the players.

Based on the quote,those who blame Archie are concluding one of three things.....

1. He tells them to get lazy

2. He should not have recruited TJD

3. He should have benched TJD during that game.

So, which is it?

And Glass hired Archie...so it is his fault.  And the Board of Trustees and the head of IU hired Glass...so theiy're at fault.  And the State of Indiana and the USA made the laws so it's their fault.  

Therefore you are badmouthing the USA.  Well, I'm not going to sit here and take your disparaging the United States of America!   

Gentlemen....(exits)...

2 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

And Glass hired Archie...so it is his fault.  And the Board of Trustees and the head of IU hired Glass...so theiy're at fault.  And the State of Indiana and the USA made the laws so it's their fault.  

Therefore you are badmouthing the USA.  Well, I'm not going to sit here and take your disparaging the United States of America!   

Gentlemen....(exits)...

Yeah, that's where I was going. You just made it a lot more entertaining. 

1 hour ago, macomb hoosier said:

I'm hoping/expecting TJD and team respond to this Dosunmu quote from the last Illinois game: 

“I knew around the nine or ten-minute mark, they were thinking when I came off the ball screen, I was going to hit the corner or hit the shake. And then I saw Trayce Jackson-Davis, he kept just coming and leaving right away and that’s when I was able to get in there, get a floater off, got a layup and got some easy transition 3s. So basically I was just playing a mind game with them, watched a lot of film on them and I knew that when the duration of the game increases, their tendencies start to get lazy so I just wanted to attack on that.”

If getting called out for being lazy doesn't motivate you, then I don't know what would.

Could be a crazy good week for iubb, we play illinois, iowa, and a more than likely committment on sunday. 3-0 would be insane. 2-1 awesome. 1-2... yeah. Fingers crossed for 3-0! 

regarding illinois, we didnt play awful the first time around, i expect freethrows to be a big part of this. Hopefully some JG to help for hype and help defending in the paint? TJD to be mad and play mad. 

20 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

Gentlemen....(exits)...

Oh, come on, man! 

29 minutes ago, bluegrassIU said:

"Culture" is one of those nebulous terms I don't like. It's imprecise, and not particularly useful unless the speaker goes on to further clarify what they mean by it. That said, if culture encompasses anything it would be not being lazy in your defensive assignments as the game wears on. A common defense of the Archie era thus far has been that it takes time to build a culture. If we're still lazy in our assignments four years in, then that defense starts to ring hollow as well.

It can't always be the players' fault. Whether it's what Archie is teaching or not doesn't much matter, if he can't also get his players to execute. The result on the court is the same.

34 minutes ago, Air Ball said:

Gentlemen....(exits)...

You left out the best part of the speech:

Otter: Ladies and gentlemen, I'll be brief. The issue here is not whether we broke a few rules, or took a few liberties with our female party guests - we did. [winks at Dean Wormer] But you can't hold a whole fraternity responsible for the behavior of a few, sick twisted individuals. For if you do, then shouldn't we blame the whole fraternity system? And if the whole fraternity system is guilty, then isn't this an indictment of our educational institutions in general? I put it to you, Greg - isn't this an indictment of our entire American society? Well, you can do whatever you want to us, but I for one am not going to stand here and listen to you badmouth the United States of America. Gentlemen!

It's year 4 fellas and we're still very mediocre.  If you don't think that's on Archie then I don't know who can help you.

Nobody said that. Context matters here. We were discussing the quote by the Illinois player.

You are talking about overall results in year 4.

That's not an honest debate dbm, and you know it.

Me saying that the quotes is a reflection on the player, is not me saying anything about overall performance not being on the coach. Thats not the conversation we were having.

Archived