Illinois pregame 2/2 9:00 PM ET ESPN

18 minutes ago, Andrew said:

Could be a crazy good week for iubb, we play illinois, iowa, and a more than likely committment on sunday. 3-0 would be insane. 2-1 awesome. 1-2... yeah. Fingers crossed for 3-0! 

regarding illinois, we didnt play awful the first time around, i expect freethrows to be a big part of this. Hopefully some JG to help for hype and help defending in the paint? TJD to be mad and play mad. 

Let's just put JG on Cockburn and win this one :).

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply
9 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

"Culture" is one of those nebulous terms I don't like. It's imprecise, and not particularly useful unless the speaker goes on to further clarify what they mean by it. That said, if culture encompasses anything it would be not being lazy in your defensive assignments as the game wears on. A common defense of the Archie era thus far has been that it takes time to build a culture. If we're still lazy in our assignments four years in, then that defense starts to ring hollow as well.

It can't always be the players' fault. Whether it's what Archie is teaching or not doesn't much matter, if he can't also get his players to execute. The result on the court is the same.

Case in point

https://twitter.com/AssemblyCall/status/1356318276175978496?s=19

Edit: can someone let me know how to embed a tweet on this site?

In game 1, Franklin shot 8-12, including 5-6 from three. Rest of team was 15-46, 2-12 from three. IU only 8 TOs and shot 78% FTs (7-9). But got pounded on the glass 40-28, including 8-3 ORbs. Hoosiers had 9 assists on 23 baskets, ILL 15 on 24 baskets.

Dosunmu had 30 points and Cockburn 15 and 15. No one else did much for IL. They didn't need to, although Curbelo and Frazier, the smallest guys on the court, combined for 12 rebounds.

TJD and Race struggled against their bigs, combining to shoot 5-18.

34 minutes ago, Maedhros said:

Case in point

https://twitter.com/AssemblyCall/status/1356318276175978496?s=19

Edit: can someone let me know how to embed a tweet on this site?

On the last Assembly Call radio, Jared Morris made it pretty clear that he’s out on Archie now. I think the snarky tweets recently have been coming from him. I think everyone else on that show does a good job of staying on analysis game to game and being critical without getting too emotional, but Jared wants to have the access and respect of a media member while being able to act like an emotional fan. It’s a weird balance and I don’t think he’s done it that well recently. 

Man, so glad to be getting back to a more regular schedule, having 10 days off stunk. I expect the usual close game here, only real big change for Illinois from the first game is that Grandison is starting now at the 4 instead of Williams. Williams was dealing with an ankle injury and Grandison is also much better against the zone defenses teams have been using to try and slow down Kofi/Ayo. Does IU play much zone?

EDIT: Forgot the other change, Adam Miller now has blonde hair. 🤪

2 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

Man, so glad to be getting back to a more regular schedule, having 10 days off stunk. I expect the usual close game here, only real big change for Illinois from the first game is that Grandison is starting now at the 4 instead of Williams. Williams was dealing with an ankle injury and Grandison is also much better against the zone defenses teams have been using to try and slow down Kofi/Ayo. Does IU play much zone?

Zone? What’s zone?

7 minutes ago, BruceDouglas said:

EDIT: Forgot the other change, Adam Miller now has blonde hair. 🤪

Not sure the last time we played zone for a full defensive possession. Even under Crean we only would play it for half of a possession. *If that last statement had you scratching your head because it didn't make sense....don't worry, you're not alone.

I'll preface with my ifs for the game:

If all the players and especially TJD play a full 40min with 100% effort 

If the team can shoot 40% from 3

If the team can shoot 70% FT

If RP decides to play with confidence rather than timidity 

If we have good ball movement

If we can communicate and play team D

Then I think we have a 51% chance to win this game!

So it is written, so shall it be done!

As some know or don't....was born and raised in Illinois. Have several family members and friends that have gone to that crap hole of town in East Central Illinois....I'd never really consider them a rival (Purdue or Kentucky) but more like that annoying gnat. Even during our troubling times we win tomorrow and that makes it 8 of last 11 vs them.

To me it's simple. Make Kofi think. Physically we don't have anyone can handle but it we make him think a bit he can get in foul trouble. Plus for whatever reason....he only gets about 9 shots a game when I think he should get 15. Double up Ayo or make him earn every bit of his 20 he will get. Just make sure it's on 6-19 shooting. 

Otherwise for us it's simple. Under 11 turnovers. Try to go 35% from 3 and see what happens. I wish I had a better feel of this team after 9 days off. I just don't. We could win by 15 or lose by 15. 

Big week for IU. In plenty of ways. 

3 hours ago, KDB said:

I felt like we were going to win @ Iowa before that game.. I have the same feeling before this one. Hope it turns out like Iowa did!

Me too, Me too, Me too!

Maybe it's just the homer in me but I'm hopeful the week off, the prior L to IL, the Ayo quote gives TJD a little extra spark, the added experience of the young guys all combine to get a win Tuesday. I think it's a good time for Geronimo to get some time going up against Kofi.  

2 hours ago, FWIUFan said:

I'll preface with my ifs for the game:

If all the players and especially TJD play a full 40min with 100% effort 

If the team can shoot 40% from 3

If the team can shoot 70% FT

If RP decides to play with confidence rather than timidity 

If we have good ball movement

If we can communicate and play team D

Then I think we have a 51% chance to win this game!

So it is written, so shall it be done!

Man, that is a lot of if's. 

25 minutes ago, FW_Hoosier said:

This is excellent news... Now every game we lose from here on out doesn’t count because of injuries.  

I can painfully admit that for my own sanity, I’ve tried my best to manage expectations and justify why this team fails to show consistency. I stay optimistic thinking about how we beat Florida St without Rob, or beat MSU on the road without J-Mo, but then I think about the body of work those seasons had and get brought back down to reality real quick lmao. 

Maybe it’s just me but I think the one thing this team does have going for it is depth. Most teams don’t have a Lander or Geronimo caliber player sitting around to play a couple minutes here and there. I don’t get paid the big bucks to make these decisions (for obvious reasons) but I feel like we could adopt more of a Leonard Hamilton type of strategy where we don’t expect to beat a team playing our 5-6 best guys but win going 9-10 deep and keeping bodies fresh. Unfortunately, I don’t think Archie has enough trust in these guys rn to do so. 

Hoping to see good minutes and usage from Geronimo and Hunter and Leal. Use their talents.

Let the shooters shoot from deep. Don’t run everything through Franklin - I think he’ll play and want him to, but not taking 15 shots. Diversify the offense. Use the arc.
Rob, be aggressive from the outset. 
TJD, attack the rim and run back on D, from the outset. We need you on D.

My points of emphasis are to me very obvious ones. Contain Kofi and Ayo, high energy pressure D to create turnovers/stops and what I think is going to be the deciding factor, transition points. Get out and run, don’t get a defensive rebound and look at the bench for direction. Run till your dogs bark.

37 minutes ago, Hoosierhoopster said:

Hoping to see good minutes and usage from Geronimo and Hunter and Leal. Use their talents.

Let the shooters shoot from deep. Don’t run everything through Franklin - I think he’ll play and want him to, but not taking 15 shots. Diversify the offense. Use the arc.
Rob, be aggressive from the outset. 
TJD, attack the rim and run back on D, from the outset. We need you on D.

I want to see Rob attacking and looking to score. We need points from our guards and it starts with Rob. TJD needs to redeem himself for his last game against IL. He was outplayed. He needs to get on a roll and draw some fouls against Cockburn. 

Archived