Illinois pregame 2/2 9:00 PM ET ESPN

• Replies 126
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I’m on central time. The 7 pm starts are annoying for me.  That means 6 pm here.  I’m rarely home from work by 6 pm.

I think the 9 pm starts are designed to cover as much of the country as possible, like a compromise between East all the way to Pacific. Monday Night Football had that 9 pm start back in the day too.  When I was a kid, I’d watch Monday Night Football and just try to make it to Howard Cosell’s halftime highlights overlaid on the awesome NFL films video.  That was very late for a kid.  

14 minutes ago, Hippopotamo said:

I’m really excited for this game. IU hung with Illinois most of the game in December and Leal, Geronimo, and Lander have all expanded their roles since then. 

I am really excited as well.  Just to have IU bball back!  I am not optimistic about the result as that is just who I am.  :( 

27 minutes ago, Seeking6 said:

Biggest believer in IU seems to be the gang in Vegas. Line opened -5 Illini....down to -1.5 or -2. I don't follow lines that closely but 3 point swing indicates something right? Or is this normal on gameday?

That is from the betting public pushing the line down....to me that just means a bunch of suckers think IU will be close.

Let me clarify I’ve never gambled but this is my assumption of how it works based on Vegas usually winning money. Ok read a little more and it could be no one was putting money on Illinois to cover so Vegas is hedging to keep the money even and avoid a payout...so maybe smart money was on us keeping it close....but I’d still bet a lot of IU fans were putting a lot of money on them keeping it close and Vegas adjusted to get more action from the Illinois side. I’m sure we have a gambler in the house to better explain then mine lol.

3 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

I’m on central time. The 7 pm starts are annoying for me.  That means 6 pm here.  I’m rarely home from work by 6 pm.

I think the 9 pm starts are designed to cover as much of the country as possible, like a compromise between East all the way to Pacific. Monday Night Football had that 9 pm start back in the day too.  When I was a kid, I’d watch Monday Night Football and just try to make it to Howard Cosell’s halftime highlights overlaid on the awesome NFL films video.  That was very late for a kid.  

I agree. I'm in AZ so that's 5 here. Right when I'm starting my commute so I always miss the 1st half of those games.

33 minutes ago, go_iu_bb said:

I agree. I'm in AZ so that's 5 here. Right when I'm starting my commute so I always miss the 1st half of those games.

Just an FYI, I work late regularly so I can totally relate to this. I’ve realized that games that are on FS1/BTN you can watch on foxsports.com and restart the stream at the beginning (even if the game is live) so you don’t have to start at whatever the point in the game is at. I’ve never had the espn app allow me to do that so I usually wait a couple hours after when I expect the game to have ended and just stream it so I don’t get any spoilers. As long as you have a basic cable provider this is all free to you. 

5 hours ago, BobSaccamanno said:

One of the (many) reasons I hate Central Time... Had to watch the first 10 minutes of every 6 p.m. game on my phone on the Purple Line (in pitch black darkness, which is another reason I hate Central Time).  But now that I’ve been working from home full-time since COVID hit, that’s no longer an issue — small consolation, I guess.

1 hour ago, Proud2BAHoosier said:

Sadly, I think he speaks for more fans than you know.

That's the state of IU basketball right now.....

But he doesn't speak for me and many others...

If people don't want to watch, or want to sulk about the team, that's their business...

I'm excited over every game, and I watch every game...that's my business...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

All this talk about a zone and letting them "beat us from 3."

Anybody realize Illinois is the top 3 point shooting team in the B1G at almost 40% as a team, and have one guy, D'aMonte Williams who's close to 60%?

Just as much as I really want a win tonight...I really want Phin to exhibit an aggressive personality and some darn serious leadership.  As Phin goes...there goes the team.  

Make it so...

1 hour ago, IUFLA said:

All this talk about a zone and letting them "beat us from 3."

Anybody realize Illinois is the top 3 point shooting team in the B1G at almost 40% as a team, and have one guy, D'aMonte Williams who's close to 60%?

IMO a lot of that comes from teams double teaming down low on Cockburn and not being able to stop dribble penetration from the guards. All I know is we couldn’t beat them playing man last time and now we are down our top two wing defenders. Obviously I shouldn’t be IUs coach but I just don’t see how our roster minus Armaan and Trey can stop their dribble penetration from the wing which will result in getting great looks around the basket over smaller defenders and also open up wide open 3s and long close outs if we help off in the lane when we get beat. If we can defend man to man against Illinois given all that...tip my cap to how far this team has come over the last week.

6 minutes ago, rico said:

Well I am all ready for tonight's titanic struggle.  I have drank myself into post-game form.

Considering what we’re gonna be watching..I can’t blame you.. lol. I would love to win tonight as we all would, I think all of us anyway....just not thinking we match up well with them although we did hang tough the first game. Be interesting to see how this goes. Just excited to watch some basketball. It’s amazing how if we would have beaten Rutgers the last two weeks would have been completely different mentally wise for us as fans lol..

Archived