Recruiting slowing

snowling

• Replies 204
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 hour ago, 13th&Jackson said:

Oh there's no doubt. CH got a huge break out of the gate when he took over a 17-15 team that had Bates-Diop return from injury to be B1G player of the year. Despite some players leaving, that team still had three other top 100 players plus CJ Jackson, Micah Potter, etc. That was a nice boost to get kick-started.

Juwan Howard had the rare opportunity to be handed the keys to a well-oiled machine.

By contrast, IU's had key injuries, coaching turnover and several near misses on recruits.

Don't forget his best player to this point in his tenure, Kaleb Wesson. Wesson's brother was already at OSU when Holtman too over and was always going to join his brother there regardless of who the coach was. 

Wesson fell into Holtman's lap, where conversely Archie inherited an injury prone De'Ron Davis. I don't mean to bash Davis, but those guys are similar, inherited recruits with similar expectations, and one turned into a 1st Team All-Conference guy and one suffered through an injury-riddled career and never really was able to contribute. 

That alone is huge and had nothing to do with who can coach better. 

Watching College Football Live and talking about Tennessee and their coaching search.  One of the announcers were saying that UT fans were a little underwhelmed with the hire.  He said what does their fans expect because they were not going to bring in an established coach from power conference.  It reminds me of all the discussions on here who we could bring in.

They also talked about the UM job and they said Michigan football is not where it use to be and just having Michigan on your jersey is not enough.  Also sounds similar to our position in college basketball.

1 minute ago, BGleas said:

Don't forget his best player to this point in his tenure, Kaleb Wesson. Wesson's brother was already at OSU when Holtman too over and was always going to join his brother there regardless of who the coach was. 

Wesson fell into Hartman's lap, where conversely Archie inherited an injury prone De'Ron Davis. I don't mean to bash Davis, but those guys are similar, inherited recruits with similar expectations, and one turned into a 1st Team All-Conference guy and one suffered through an injury-riddled career and never really was able to contribute. 

That alone is huge and had nothing to do with who can coach better. 

Wesson's dad also played for OSU

5 minutes ago, Bustout said:

Also, not sure if it’s been mentioned, but Kenya is still relatively new to the program.  Archie made it clear he is here to recruit.  He helped IU get Stewart.  

it may take a cycle, but it’ll be interesting to see his impact as time goes on.   

Ya know, that had never occurred to me.

Until this season, recruiting has not been an issue for Archie.  But, it has slowed.  We all have to admit that.

The main issue, though, is not recruiting,  The issue is the W/L record and the way the team seems to underachieve on a regular basis.  Unfortunately, issue #1 (W/L, underachievement) may ultimately impact Issue #2 (recruiting).

17 hours ago, BGleas said:

I think because basketball seems easy to turnaround because it takes less players that people underestimate how much program momentum and luck play into this. I understand Matta had some health issues the last year or two, but Holtman took over a program that Matta had positioned as a premier program for over a decade. Multiple conference titles, multiple conference tournament titles and multiple Final Fours and Elite 8's. 

Even with the drop Matta had the last year or two, that momentum and stability matters. Same with Juwan Howard. His transition has been made much more seamless due to taking over what Beilein had established.  

I'm not saying that means Archie is doing a great job or that he shouldn't be doing better by now, just saying Archie didn't start in the same place as Holtman or Howard for that matter. 

Crean won two Big Ten titles and went to three Sweet 16s in five years before having one down year and getting fired.  And Crean’s “down” years over that time period (2013-2014, 2014-2015, and 2016-2017) were equal to or better than any season Archie’s been able to put together up to this point.  Archie didn’t start in a worse position than Holtmann by any stretch of the imagination — he was hired to build on what Crean was able to achieve, but instead, he’s run the program into the ground.

17 hours ago, rico said:

Ya know, that had never occurred to me.

Could be more than a factor than we are giving it credit.  Bruiser was the main recruiter when he was here....When he left some of the names we were after could have cooled off. Kenya is trying to make up room, but he wouldn't have had the same connection with the same kids that Bruiser did.  Next years group could still have that factor.  Unfortunately it really could be 2023 before we see the real Kenya factor.

Archived